• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung's 3D VOD Service Goes Live

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Samsung has come good on its promise with news its 3D video-on-demand service has just gone live in the UK today, allowing viewers to stream free 3D content through a specially designed App for the Samsung Smart TV platform.

It's a first for the UK, allowing users to access 3D content free, and on-demand, from Samsung Smart TVs. Samsung's 3D video-on-demand service currently has 20 types of free 3D content including films, music videos, children's classics, documentaries and trailers from partner DreamWorks.

Until now, 3D content has only been available through paid subscription and Blu-ray, but over the next year Samsung will provide more options for consumers to watch 3D content. By the end of 2011- 70 free 3D videos will be available through the ‘Explore 3D' App.

Andy Griffiths, Vice President, Consumer Electronics, Samsung UK said: “The demand for 3D is growing rapidly, but only a handful of channels are providing content. Samsung has led the 3D LED TV market since it launched last year, and the roll-out of our 3D video-on-demand service demonstrates our commitment to accelerating its growth. We believe that in the near future every viewer will have access to 3D content in the comfort of their own living room through a Smart TV. We will therefore continue to develop our Smart TV offering in order to provide consumers with the best viewing experience possible.”

To access Samsung's video-on-demand service, those with 3D Smart TVs will need to download the ‘Explore 3D' App' from ‘Samsung apps'. Using the ‘Search All' function, you can search for content on not just the television, but across the internet and on any connected storage, PC or mobile device within the home network. Additionally Samsung's ‘Your Video' service works as a recommendation engine, suggesting films from a host of web-based, video on-demand providers, based on previous viewing patterns. Users can also chat about the latest must-watch show through Facebook, Twitter, and Google Talk. The ‘Social TV' function will allow them to simultaneously watch shows on split screen whilst chatting with friends.

The following Samsung Smart TVs are now available in retailers across the UK and allow you to access the 3D content: D8000 (both LCD & Plasma), D7000 (LCD), D6900 (Plasma) D6500 (LCD), D6100 (LCD) and D5520. So what are you waiting for? It's got to be better than watching Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for the 14th time!

Attachments

• samsung_explore_3d_app.jpg
    samsung_explore_3d_app.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 266

gaz2810i

Great News but I just wish they would release their exclusive 3D blus for us who own samsung sets. :mad:

paulwilko

Now i dont know whether this has been updated, but when i tried this app about 2 weeks ago, every file i chose came back with Codec not supported.

I will try this later and see but i was not impressed at that time

E Shaw

Now i dont know whether this has been updated, but when i tried this app about 2 weeks ago, every file i chose came back with Codec not supported.

I will try this later and see but i was not impressed at that time

I got the exact same message when I installed this app a week ago, will try it again tonight when I get home.
If it still doesnt work I wonder if there is a firmware update on its way
"cart before horse" :facepalm:

antsims

Distinguished Member
I'm a little gutted as even though I live in a new build house, my broadband speed is less than 1mb. I wont be able to take advantage of this service. :(

gaz2810i

I'm not getting anything other than the old trailers and music vids plus a few docs. No movies etc :confused:

E Shaw

Not a huge amount of content at the moment but lets hope this changes in the near future :smashin:

The 3d trailer for Crysis 2 was nice as was the documentary on the Mercedes classic cars, some nice 3d effects even though the presenter was a bit gringeworthy ;).

Not so sure about the music clips I guess whoever they are must be big in South Korea :)

Last edited:

gbailey141

Hi guys,

Is this service available through the network connected Samsung 3d Blu ray players?

Thanks

Gav

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom