1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GaryJ, Dec 28, 2000.

1. GaryJ

GaryJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody got any info on Samsung dvds? in particular the DVP-511. I am about to purchase one in a craking deal (£740 for 32"tv,dvd and nicam vcr). It is only region 1. Is there a hack to make it multi-region?Is that important? Please help. You've been good to me in the past!
    Cheers Gary

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. GaryJ

GaryJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for a prompt reply! I've checked out the web-site and the cost is £59 as you state. Thanks again

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    GaryJ

Try this link:
    http://www.dvddebate.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=14

Scroll down - there is a handset hack for the DV-511 (as there is for all Samsung machines).

It sounds like a good deal you're getting. Are all the units Samsung? Samsung is a company that has been getting better reviews over the last few years. Their TVs are pretty good, and I know from using a friends 709 player that their DVD units are excellent as well. I would say that the 511 is a safe buy.

5. GaryJ

GaryJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they are all Samsung, and all matching etc. The price includes delivery, installation and 10 months interest free. Thanks for the advice. I'm very new to all this and would appreciate any other info on connecting this set-up to a suitable DD receiver (however the missus is involved and wants the amp to be silver to match tv etc-any suitable suggestions for a reasonably priced amp?.

6. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have a great missus! Up until today you didnt even have a DVD player, now she's gonna let you put a dvd player AND an amp under the telly. Every addition I made was met with fierce resistance. Nice one.

As far as amps go its all about budget.

I have seen a Technics 940 for £199,
    or the Sony 930 for £299 or the Sony 940 for £379. Ther are loads more which come with a silver front so you wont be stuck for choice.

Remember you still have to buy 5 speakers & a sub woofer as well!

And then you will want to buy a nice all in one remote like a Phillips Pronto....God this never ends.

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

7. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check this link out -
    http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

It has 2 hacks for the 511. I would recommend the Thomson 3300 (instead of the Samsung 709 one) one as it makes it permanent (the Samsung 709 one is only temporary).

8. GaryJ

GaryJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Thomson hack sounds good. Thanks. As for the amps - where are these available? Any chance of a silver DD receiver thats any good but also cheap(ish)? Has anybody got one? Do you want to sell it? I really am full of questions but you guys seem to know all the answers. Thanks again.