Samsung YP-Z5A or iPod Nano 4GB

n8384

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Need to get an mp3 player for my mum. Have been looking at the samsung and the nano. Main requirements for her are:
1) good battery life
2) easily transfer music from laptop to mp3 player
3) ability to use a sound dock

can anyone suggest which is the better from above, or are there any other models/brands to be looking at.

Thanks

Tough choice. Both are really good. The Samsung sounds better, but has a higher 'oh **** I didn't mean to do that' initial difficulty of using the controls. It's got a really nice slideshow facility and the claimed 30+ hour battery time (real life = considerably shorter), but it's got some power management quirks which means it can be left on all too frequently by someone who's not paying attention. As a result sometimes you can pick it up thinking you charged it yesterday and it can be dead. No such worries with the Nano but the battery life is much shorter (8 hours typical).

For mum though I'd say the nano. It doesn't tick box 1 that well but it does definitely satisfy 2 & 3. The Samsung doesn't satisfy 3 to my knowledge, while 2 is not too bad but not as intuitive as the Nano. Plus if she has trouble with it it won't be just you that can help out - iPod owners are everywhere.

thanks for that..but i am also going to be looking at the sandisk sansa e260 or the e250 and then finally decide.

Make sure you buy for your mum and not for yourself, unless that's the aim. The Sandisk is not mum friendly. It is nerd friendly.

i use my nokia n80 for music....
but so far i am leaning towards the nano...will take my mum to the apple store

They still have the nano for £113 in the refurb store at apple and they are like new:D

got the sansa e260 (4gb) for £99.99 from Costco...
my mum will try using and it and if she is happy she will keep it...if not my sister has just a new birthday present...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom