• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung WS32Z429TQ Text Pixelated?

I

Iroquois

Hey guys again, I decided to buy the Samsung 32" WS32Z429TQ and it's great in the geometry area. However, I've just connected my PS3 up to it via HDMI...and the text is absolutely appauling in all aspects...

It's very very pixelated and hard to read...does anyone know what settings to change and possibly anything in the service menu that can make them a lot more smoother and easier to read on the eyes?

Thanks, Vincent

simon194

Prominent Member
Text on most CRT sets is always going to be a problem because of the horizontal resolution.

The horizontal pitch of the SlimFit models is something like 0.73mm in the centre portion of the screen and increases towards the edge due to the wide deflection angle of the tube.

Mofoman

Established Member
how are you connecting it up??

What resolution do you have it set at?? What cables are you using etc..??

Let me know and I'll help you out the best I can.

I

Iroquois

It's connected through a HDMI cable (Gold plated) running at 1080i, even at lower resolutions the problem still remains...

Setup Is;

PS3 -> HDMI -> Samsung 32" at 1080i....

That's basically all there is to it :) Thanks for trying to help, best regards Vincent

Mofoman

Established Member
Hi there

Your problem is almost cetainly down to something called Velocity scan modulation. My set was the same until I switched it off in the service menu.

The tv's setting's are the same as the 409/419, so see that thread on how to switch it off.

Only enter the menu if you are confident you know what you are doing though. To enter the service menu, you press info, menu, mute, then power whilst the tv is on standby, you have to do this quickly, and you want to turn off the SVM options to zero.

Now my set is now perfect text wise, so that should cure the problem, there could also be a focus problem with the set though, and I would get an engineer out from Samsung, to sort it for you, as they will do it, and this will not void your warranty. Once the focus and thing's are correct, don't worry, the text is razor sharp, apart from in the extreme corners.

So to sum upo, call Samsung support and get one of their engineers out.It's free under warranty, and ask them to run off the velocity modulation and then sort out the focus on the text.

Also make sure you are not in dynamic picture mode.and make sure your sharpness is turned down to about 35, and then sort out the contrast and brightness and stuff.These options are in the normal picture setting's.The tv enter's dynamic by default when you switch it on, and the setting's are ****, everything is up full.Got to custom and get all the setting's correct, and turn the sharpness right down. Then to keep these settingg's when you switch the tv off, switch it off using standby, then when you switch it off at the plug if you do that, and this way when you switch it back on, the setting's will be where you left it.

I

Iroquois

Hi there

Your problem is almost cetainly down to something called Velocity scan modulation. My set was the same until I switched it off in the service menu.

The tv's setting's are the same as the 409/419, so see that thread on how to switch it off.

Only enter the menu if you are confident you know what you are doing though. To enter the service menu, you press info, menu, mute, then power whilst the tv is on standby, you have to do this quickly, and you want to turn off the SVM options to zero.

Now my set is now perfect text wise, so that should cure the problem, there could also be a focus problem with the set though, and I would get an engineer out from Samsung, to sort it for you, as they will do it, and this will not void your warranty. Once the focus and thing's are correct, don't worry, the text is razor sharp, apart from in the extreme corners.

So to sum upo, call Samsung support and get one of their engineers out.It's free under warranty, and ask them to run off the velocity modulation and then sort out the focus on the text.

Also make sure you are not in dynamic picture mode.and make sure your sharpness is turned down to about 35, and then sort out the contrast and brightness and stuff.These options are in the normal picture setting's.The tv enter's dynamic by default when you switch it on, and the setting's are ****, everything is up full.Got to custom and get all the setting's correct, and turn the sharpness right down. Then to keep these settingg's when you switch the tv off, switch it off using standby, then when you switch it off at the plug if you do that, and this way when you switch it back on, the setting's will be where you left it.

Wow thank-you, that cleared it right up :) Thanks again mate,

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom