1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung WS32Z308P

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by totalltohang, Aug 21, 2005.

1. totalltohang

totalltohang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If this tv is HDTV ready, however is missing the key connector then how does it connect?Will I have to replace my "freeview box" to connect?

2. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The TV is NOT 'HD Ready'. The logo on the top-right of the TV says 'HDTV 1080i'.

It only supports 480p/1080i natively and upscales 720p via component input. It doesn't have DVI, HDMI or HDCP.

Also the TV is plagued with abnormal geometry problems (a wonky screen shape basically) and there are rumours that there has been a recall of the current model because of its problems. Hopefully you haven't purchased it yet!

Read more in this extensive thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229814

3. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    here we go again. it is interesting how the best knowledge about this TV comes from a people who didn't see the set alive, and jump on conclusion based on someone elses experiences :mad:

this TV is labeled HDTV ready 1080i, and I'd like to know how many real HDTV sets do anybody know that exist on the market? and at what price? certainly not for 500 pounds.

lack of HDMI is a waste of energy. even Xbox 360 will deliver HD over component. and by the time when HD hit the market big ( if ever) do you think there will be no component-to-whatever- you-like adapters? God, I think there will be 5-pole DIN to HDMI if you like ;)

as an owner of this TV I have some dissatisfactions regarding geometry, but it is until I have talks with some professional installers of AV equipment and closer experiences with some other CRT TV's. this is the picture of much lauded Panasonic PD50. did you see wonky lines? I think you did. Samsung is no worse than that, and In real life it is hard to notice this while watching anything else than test pattern :rotfl:

in short, buy a bike and watching less TV if a couple of wonky lines is your main problem in life :boring:

Attached Files:

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Whilst it is certain that HDMI to Component HD converters will continue to appear in the market place (one at least is on sale already) - this is also clearly a breach of the HDCP licensing.

Given that BluRay and HD-DVD contain a system that could potentially disable converters of this type (each new release will have a new list of prohibited HDCP clients that the players will use for updates) - it may not be as easy as some think to market these as reliable devices.

I agree that £500 is a good price for an HD-capable set, but I also agree with the others posting here that people buying a display that isn't "HD Ready" have to be very clear of the issues that non-HD Ready stuff can entail.

I won't pass judgement on the set itself as I haven't seen it - but I think to post in an AV Forum that if people don't want wobbly lines that they shouldn't watch TV is a little uncalled for - where would you expect AV purists to hang out if not here? Geometry is important to many - and one of the benefits of flat panel displays. Poor geometry in a tubed set is usually a sign of poor design - and this is likely to also effect the resolving power of the set.

5. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It makes sense about HDMI, but what about DVD region free players, it is also breaching of the licencing. I think, when someone do it, other must follow or they'll see themselves behind. the other part of the story is a planed system of copyright protection, I think it will not survive light of a day. maybe I'm wrong but I can't see how such system could survive and it would led to total failure of such technology.

real problem with aforementioned Samsung and its geometry is the fact that its owners have not a chance to comparing its geometry with something else. it is easy to make alert in someone minds over the Net, and they jump to send it back because they're afraid. I can't say its geometry is perfect, because it isn't but look again at the picture of Panasonic. do you find it is acceptable numbers of wonky lines or not?

People concerned about CRT geometry have to buy some test DVD and browsing around with it. you enter the store, put out test DVD, watch geometry test pattern and you should have a clearer mind after what is bad and what is good. i think it is a little bit unfair to judge TV after users who don't have a clue is it good or bad, is it visible or not, is it acceptable or not, and like that they're easy target for manipulation.

6. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I HAVE seen the Samsung set at a friends house not too long ago and managed to inspect the geometry problems it has.

What makes you think I haven't seen the set in operation? :rolleyes:

When I mention it has geometry problems, I do not imply that it has the worst geometry in the existence of CRTs. Of course there are sets that have geometry as bad and if not worse than the Samsung slimfit.

One of the main reasons you see many people in the US (avsforum and elsewhere) and Europe complain about the geometry on this set is due to the fact that its the much touted "slim" CRT set so people had high expectations of this new technology and of course with new technologies come new problems :lesson:

I had my eyes set on buying this set too a few months back but was disappointed with its flaws and will advise others who are potential buyers of the problems I and others noticed.

If you are satisfied with the quality of the set then thats great :thumbsup: but as the saying goes; different strokes for different folks.

7. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just because the current HDMI to component devices take the shortcut of using the off the shelf chips doesn't mean that's the only way to do it.

At the moment it's not cost effective to make a custom asic to decode the signals.. the market just isn't big enough. Eventually it will be (probably around the time HD-DVD and BlueRay get released) and you'll be able to pick up converters relatively cheaply. Remember the cyptographic weaknesses in HDCP were known about in 2001, and nothing has been done to fix them.

I agree though buying any of the current crop of converters is a gamble.. they're probably not smart enough to avoid the blacklists.

8. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    no hard feelings, it doesn't sound like this in your original post, and you've said it has 'abnormal geometry problems' which is unfair and sounds like 'the worst in the existence of CRT's'. I think people have to be warned about it not to be scared off, and again, get some test DVD. later, in the store you can check out geometry of set A, set B, set C and see for yourself which one is the one you can live with, and is the situation not so different between them and so on :lesson:

9. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I do also have test DVDs (DVE and AVIA). You have to STOP assuming things and jumping to conclusions :thumbsdow

Using the phrase 'abnormal' is not unfair. I'm merely stating that the geometry isn't normal for a CRT set (don't now assume that I think CRT sets have perfect geometry) but I'm not saying that this is the only 'abnormal' set.

Its all down to personal preference. What you may call 'acceptable' picture quality I may call 'unacceptable' but what you are telling me on this open public forum in your initial reply is to keep my opinion(s) to myself :nono:

Some people change TV sets because of a low frequency buzzing sound emanating from the rear of a set but that doesn't bother me as the sound from the TV and amp cancels it out for me.

I'm not branding those people as ridiculous because every person has a varied degree of tolerence for electronic appliances and this is a open forum for people to express their opinion and share their knowledge and experience.

This is the last I will say on the matter.

10. totalltohang

totalltohang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please explain to me what "geometery" means in the context of a tv. I am just purely a lay man who has ordered one of these tv's from empire direct and they should despatch by the end of the month.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Bascially it's the ability of a TV to display an image without any deviation.
    A circle should be a circle anywhere on the screen and a straight line should be a straight line. CRT's even quite good ones may have issues with reproducing an image correctly as it is being fed with poor examples showing a circle as an elipse or a vertical line as being wavy. My Panasonic CRT has this with straight lines/edges especially near the edge of the screen being anything but straight/vertical:)
    Just waiting for it to die on me!

A flat panel display has perfect geometry, one of the major plus points of a fixed pixel display and ideal for HD considering the resolution and fine detail is increased compared to a SD broadcast and any errors would be far more visible.

There is a nice and simple article here.

12. totalltohang

totalltohang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0