1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Ws32z308p

Discussion in 'TVs' started by totalltohang, Aug 8, 2005.

1. totalltohang

totalltohang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I have just ordered this tv from Empire Direct. Its I think £484.00 approx. I have seen certain claims this is a HDTV. Is this true or not. I would love to think it is but have my reservations.

Anyone answer this question? If it is HDTV where does it plug into the tv and would i need a freeview box which catered for HDTV as well as a dvd player etc etc etc etc.

Regards

David

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The CRT can accept a 1080i signal via component.
    There is an ongoing thread here.

At this time there are no plans officially announced for DTT and cable carriage is still only rumour. SKY are the only ones to actually announce solid plans for HD and a ball park launch data.
    Still no HD players on the market and the first gen boxes will be expensive but there are quite a few DVD players that have upscaling facilites but I am not sure if these require a digital link and not component.

The above thread should go into more details:)

3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It accepts a 1080i component input but is not a true 'HD Ready' set - this probably won't matter to you if you're just using it for XBox games etc.

There's no HDTV freeview (and probably won't be until at least 2012) and there are no HD DVD players yet. Sky HD is due in the new year and that'll be the first true source.

4. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have the set. It only has component inputs. The jury is still out on wether the componet inputs will be enough....I think there will be enough content delivered through component, especialy in the early days. Sky certainly are delivering it in the initial boxes. They are doing it to get the biggest market, so will everyone else.
    The HDMI inputs are purely to placate the industry and try and stop piracy. We all know its doomed to failure on that score..
    There are converters on the market now. Still expensive because the market is not very big at the moment but, they will come down...
    Anyway at the price they are it will be OK for changing in three years time if needed Just in time for the BBC to start....

Then again what do I know??? :rotfl:

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Component should be enough for XBox 360, and Sky HD (though it remains to be seen if Sky's box can be configured to output 1080i only, and internally convert 720/50p broadcasts - which are likely - to this format for output purposes)

Not for HD-DVD or BluRay though - they are VERY likely to remain HDCP only (thus HDMI or DVI) for HD output, with analogue component limited to 480p/576p maximum AIUI.

Yep - though just as Macrovision has been hacked it doesn't stop DVD players being mandated to include it...

Though they may not be around forever - the current model is based on chips aimed at RCA TVs I believe. How plentiful the supply of these chipsets are - and how quickly they are disabled (remember HD-DVDs will contain a "blacklist" of HDCP receivers that should be disabled, and this will be downloaded into your player when you play a disc released since the receivers were blacklisted...)

Yep - it is a good buy for a 1080i capable set - if it is any good!

The BBC may well be HD earlier than you think - I'd be surprised if it wasn't broadcasting an HD service by Christmas next year.

6. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for making it look like I knew a little bit.. :D
    I hope the BBC do come in quickly. Maybe it'll stop the murdoch machine from stealing HD from the masses.... ;)