1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung WS32Z308P connected to pc via component

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dav076, Sep 5, 2005.

1. dav076

dav076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hello,

I've been looking at this tv http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=5172&c=1324052&guid=&s= along with a number of lcds but am stumped so excuse my question if its a little dumb but in my defence i'm a total noob :rotfl: . What i'm looking to do is connect my pc to this crt set using the ati component adapter that came with the x800 card i got. Now my question is what kind of resolutions will I be able to select and will I be able to use it as a replacement for a crt monitor or am I asking for trouble. The other thing I intend to use it for is xbox360 and other console gaming, I dont much care about hd sky tv so thats not an issue. Lcds seem so straight forward compared to this crt malarky :rolleyes:
    Cheers ;)

Ps, heres the lead:
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6612/dscf00102uh.jpg

2. dav076

dav076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Nevermind I found the answer:

Supported HDTV Resolutions are:

480i and 480p:

640x480 > 4:3
    720x480 > 4:3
    848x480 > 16:9

720p:

960x720 > 4:3
    1280x720 > 16:9

1080i:

1920x1080 > 16:9

However i've now found the thread here about that tv so i think i'm looking at lcds again :rotfl:

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    By using Powerstrip with that card you should also be able to generate 50Hz resolutions - which are more useful for UK TV and DVD viewing, as well as 50Hz HD resolutions. (25Hz frame 50Hz field refresh rate for a conventional TV, though some displays will also work at 50Hz frame refresh progressive - and some also cope with 75Hz progressive - which is fine for film material but not so good for video)

4:3 SD TV : 768x576 square pixel
    16:9 SD TV : 1024x576 square pixel

However you usually have to use Powerstrip for these modes - as most general video drivers are US-centric, and thus use the 640x480 and 850x480 "NTSC" res, rather than the 576 line based "PAL" res.

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Hdtvs don't usually support 720p display.
    There is someone on the forum with a JVC 1080i HDTV with HTPC.
    I believe he had to come down on the resolution a bit to get it to work properly.
    If you're not interested in Sky HD, you might want to consider a large monitor. There are a few 24", 29", 33" and 37" PC monitors around with high resolution capablity and not a lot of money.

Nick

5. dav076

dav076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Cheers for the help guys, i've been looking at the dell 24" widescreen monitors, they seem like they'd fit the bill but my only concern is the s-video input for my older consoles (saturn etc), as in whats the quality like. Then theres also the worry about its native resolution for pc gaming, theres no way this x800 is going to be able to give playable framerates at 1920x1200 unless the details are dropped and I'm hesitant to what they are like running in other res's, anyone own one and can comment?

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    S-video is only standard definition, so it would never look good. For high definition, you need to have component, RGB, VGA, DVI or HDMI. And a suitable source, obviously.

Which widescreen monitors are you thinking of - the LCD or CRT ones?

7. dav076

dav076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just these so far:

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

I'm aware s-video is standard definition but unfortunately the old consoles only use rf, composite, s-video or rgb, i'm just wondering what s-video looks like on an lcd such as mentioned above because it only supports composite or s-vid, is there much difference compared to it on crt or is it pretty much the same?

8. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Try hunting down one of these 24" wide CRT HD monitors, I've got one and its the best HD CRT out there in the UK:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=fw900&page=1

Can be had on eBay for around £350. It can handle tons of resolutions including 1080p!

Mine is hooked up to my PC for normal desktop use and PC gaming as I think its a little small for watching movies or using as part of a HTPC setup.

You will be able to connect your Xbox360 to it using the official VGA cable that Microsoft are releasing for it.

9. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I've got one of those as well, though it's a Sun clone - there are a few brands and models that are the same thing. It is an absolute revelation. It even makes photos look good, and because it's widescreen, it works well with DVDs. I've got a second one (office clearout) that I'll be popping in the classified forum shortly.

Nick