1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung ws32z308p - a review and question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by thebalfours, Jul 26, 2005.

1. thebalfours

thebalfours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all.

I recently purchased one of these sets from my local Currys. At first I was proper dissapointed. Poor picture quality, worse than my old Tosh 28in, really bad geometry (so bad even my wife commented). Watching the cricket on Sat was a nightmare, bump along the bottom of the screen and egg timer effect down the right hand side of the screen. It also makes a buzzing sound. Anyways the engineer from Currys is en route today so I will let you know how I get on.

Having said that the cabinet looks fantastic.

I would also like to know if anyone knows how to access the service menus on the European version. I have looked on the US forums and it says to power off, then prees mute,1,8,2 then power. Tried this with the TV in standby and off at the switch, no joy.

Any ideas?

TIA

G

2. cupra.john

cupra.john
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have just bought one mine should be arriving on fri , i will let you know how i get on.

3. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi. Had mine for just over a month now. Yes it has geometry problems but I guess I've got used to them now. I checked a lot of TV's in the same bracket and thought they all had geometry problems to a greater or lesser degree.
    Apart from that the picture is fine.
    I don't know if going into the service menu will solve the geometry problem.
    Keep the sharpness down and it's better. I have Freeview on mine and it looks OK depending obviously on which broadcaster I am viewing. I found one of the best tests to get the picture right was the opening titles of Home and Away (Which I found by accident -honest-) as its full of vibrant colours.

The Cricket looked OK by the way and definitely no buzzing....

I tried the US service menu access without any joy also.

4. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Does anyone know where this is in stock?

5. thebalfours

thebalfours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from my local Currys superstore (Leeds nr Ikea). Didnt have it in immediate stock but I ordered on a Friday and it arrived Tues.

6. cupra.john

cupra.john
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Empire direct had them in stock £530 with delivery

click me

7. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think without test generator signal it would be hard to correct geometry successfully. maybe you could do something through service menu, but not sure how much. also didn't succeed to get into one by known codes on the net.

to be honest, all widescreen TVs of 32" and bigger have some kind of geometry problems, sometimes less sometimes more than Samsung. if you don't say nothing, people will not noticed, but I think it is a price for short neck tube, it is even harder to get straight lines also.

also, don't judge picture by 4:3 signal streched into 16:9, maybe I'm imagined, but I think how original 16:9 material looks better and with less geometry problems :confused: also, don't put sharpness any more than 20-30 in any mode. today I watched Sony at my neighbors house and Samsung blew him away for brightness, sharpness, less noise, and color vibrancy. but, if someone is unsatisfied it is Ok to try something else, I can live with its problems.

8. thebalfours

thebalfours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning,

The Engineer has been round last night. Tells me mine was the SECOND Sammy he had been to that day and he cant guarantee a replacement set wont be the same.

So....I have a £600 Currys credit burning a hole. Do I risk another Sammy or go for something else. Has to be 32", not bothered about sound (5.1 on DVD) and cant be any more than £600 and obviously has to come from Currys!

I am willing to 'try' another Samsung but the wife isnt keen, she spends more time watching it than me to be fair, so what is a boy to do??

Thoughts please....

9. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the engineer can't do anything at the spot, try to do something through service menu and such?

I think you'll have no luck with the second slim fit Samsung. It is like it is, I'm afraid. only if Samsung get free of charge engineers from Korea to all of the owners of their Slimfit to correct awful geometry it would be worth buying again. like I've said, I can live with it, or I'm trying to do, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be happier if there is a fix to this problem :(

10. thebalfours

thebalfours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Off to Currys tonight. I want to have a proper look at a Samsung in the showroom and see if its any better than the one I have. Maybe I have just got a duffer?

Anyway, I will let you know how I got on tomorrow, I am sure you cant wait!!

TBH The Samsung is starting to grow on me, we had friends round last night and they were blown away by it, they didnt notice geom problems and thought the picture was superb. Maybe I am just being optomistic to expect an outstanding performance from a £600 TV.

HeyHo :rolleyes:

11. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It's very hard to stop looking for the problems. However, I have managed to engross myself in the rest of the TV which is magnificent. Since then I don't notice the problem. :)
    My Brother in law pointed out the geometry faults on his Sony which I had never noticed before he pointed them out.
    If you go to the showroom you will be looking for it again.
    Having said that, I was in Curry's yesterday and they did'nt have one on display any longer. I asked if they had stopped selling it and the guy said "No. We can't get hold of them for love nor money". So you may not find one in store.....

12. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    to be honest again, my friends reaction is the same :smashin: no one noticed geometry problems and they highly praised its PQ. when I'm pointed out to geometry problems they were no less entusiastic and think I'm over reacting over it or over blown the problem. they all thinking it's a lot of TV for your cash and tell me to stop being picky ( or jerk if you like) :rolleyes:

maybe we have to be more careful with choice of materials and movies: avoid movies and programs with a lof of bars, windows and doors and everything will be fine :thumbsup:

13. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hopefully I'll be buying this TV next week (depending on stock). Currys did tell me Tuesday that stock is arriving today, so I might ring up other retailers to see if they also got them in stock as a few said a couple of weeks ago that they were expecting stock in the middle of August (which is too far away from me as I need a new tv within a week)

14. madhatter

madhatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demo'd one of these sets at Currys last night, fantastic picture with no geometry problems whats so ever.......

I think the proof is in the pudding and I'm not sure how close you guys are looking at the set, and wether you look for faults all the time. I went through a phase of doing this, infact stood in the middle of Currys its very difficult indeed to even decide which set is best...the one next to it always looks better ! And the one next to that looks better still !!

Just thought I'de let you all know that www.digiuk.com are selling them for 484.99 inc VAT, a great deal less the Currys 650.00.

I do have one question while I'm here, and I'm about to post a seperate thread on this. This set is HDTV ready, as it accepts 1080i component input. Anybody know if this is RGB or YPBr ? Also, I didn't think HDTV was available in analogue form. If (when)I do eventually buy a HD DVD player, or subscribe to a HDTV service, can I convert HDTV HMDI to analogue component ?

Hmmmmmmm...........

Many thanks.

Chris.

15. thebalfours

thebalfours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

As stated earlier maybe I was expecting too much from this set.

I can tell you it has both component and Ybpr on the back, but the US forums are saying that it isnt in fact HD ready due to not having HDMi? input sockets.

It all goes a bit over my head then.

Try this link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=541592&page=5&pp=30

16. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Digiuk will not have them in stock for about 4-6 weeks, while Currys will.

17. thebalfours

thebalfours

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning,

Went to Currys last night. Even the display Sammy was sold and no more stock for weeks.

This helped me make up my mind to go with something else. Was just about to settle on a Tosh (dont recall the model number), nice picture, 32", and £100 cheaper when something caught my eye......

Sat in a dark corner all by its self was a Sony kv32fq86u. £499 last one in the shop, last one in the world if the Currys lad was to be believed.

IMHO absolutley blew the Sammy out of the water, no geometry issues (the guy in the shop thought I was a bit of a loon when I asked him if I could put my recorded cricket highlights on to check the lines....)and its has got 3 scarts, a small thing but what with Sky, DVD, XBOX, PS2 it makes a difference.

So its goodbye Sammy hello Sony.

The moral of the story kids is dont be fooled by looks alone, while the Samsung is without doubt a sweet looking TV, I couldnt deal with watching all my favourite sports with wonky lines. Of course its also possible that I got a duff one. Oh yeah, also talk to the nice people on AVFourms before buying anything :smashin:

I'm off to do some reasearch on my new Sony.

CYA :hiya:

18. madhatter

madhatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think I have been put off this set aswell. I must say, the one I demo'd in Currys showed a great picture. Sure, the phosphor lines are spaced further apart at the edges of the screen, but this doesn't show itself to the naked eye from a sitting distance.

However...this set is NOT high def ready !!. Yes, it is capable of displaying 1080i via componant input, but HDTV will never be offered in this format. HDTV adheres to a strict protocol that includes, amongst other things, copyright protection encoding. So a set that is HD ready in the true sense of the word will have a HDMI connector on the back and the copyright decryption electronics on the inside. I have searched high and low (and high again) and have only found one device that converts high def to componant but its price tag means I may aswell just buy a truly high def compliant set in the first place !

I have been thinking about this alot lately, and as much as it saddens me to say, but CRTs are very fast becoming a relic of a bygone era. So its LCD for me...... just gonna wait until early next year when I think a 32" high def compliant LCD display will probably cost around the £700 mark, then I'm gonna dive in feet first.................

Thanks for everyone who showed an interest in this thread.

Chris.

19. nogimmix

nogimmix
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I also had another demo in Currys before ordering (informed me they had stock) and wasn't too impressed overall pictures wise, yes it looks a lovely TV but the main thing is the quality of the picture.........I mean you don't buy a Ferrari which has got a Fiesta engine inside!!
    So I've just ordered a Panasonic TX32PD50 instead (£599, delivered Tuesday).

20. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not quite correct... The first Sky boxes will deliver HD through component...Anyway in about three to four years time when HD starts to become accessable to mere mortals it'll be time for a new TV,....... ;)

21. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well, is it possible to switch off DNIE ( Digital natural image engine, or whatever) engine on this Samsung? I think it is not, but reading some reviews, they've said how it is advisable to switch it off etc...I think its is something which is always on and can't see any way to switch it off? do reviewers really see this or any other TV live?

22. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You could probably turn it off in the service menu. Why would you want to though? If you turn on the demo version half screen on half off then you can tell that the picture is actually better slightly and no adverse effects are on the side with it switched on.
    The American access code for the service menu does not work and I have been unable to find a UK code...

23. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Chriszzzz, check out your private messages.

24. dog-god

dog-god

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sofa1 if u would be willing i am also looking for the service code for this tv
    picked it up on saturday and amnt happy with geometry
    sky news ove ntl analouge cabe shows how bad the gemotery is with the news ticker
    anyone any idea why the usa model has a hdmi input and the european one dosent ,considering we are paying more for this set than they are for theirs
    and also is this an older or newer model that they are referring to in this thread
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=541592&page=1&pp=30

this will be going back unless the gemotery can be sorted

25. cupra.john

cupra.john
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Just to echo chriszzzzzz comments I have noticed the geometry problems but not let them get in the way of my viewing experience, and for £500 I don’t think it’s a bad buy
    it would be interesting to have a fiddle in the service menu, but I suppose time will tell on that one.
    my brother in-law came around for a couple of hours over the weekend and didn’t notice any of the problems, he liked it so much he tried to buy one yesterday.
    But had trouble sourcing one some retailers said it had been recalled any one now if this is true ?

26. kp1

kp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may sound silly, but what is a 'geometry problem'? what excatly happend or doesnt happen? I have just ordered the samsung last night at local currys, being delivered on sunday. The demo unit was absolutely superd and the picture quality was amazing...however, reading the reviews, i am begining to think that i may have made the wrong choice...can anyone help please

27. cupra.john

cupra.john
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  29. Seepy

Seepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought my samsung 32" ws, very nice it is, geometry problems dont really show unless you have it set to dynamic but thats only because the contrast is set to 100. dnie isnt that noticeable anyways so dont worry about that. seems to be quite a bit of ghosting on broadcast channels but dvd is excellent. just one thing im not sure on it says its 32" but iv'e measured it and it only measures 30" corner to corner is this the same with your tv sets?

30. cupra.john

cupra.john
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just measured mine SNAP 30"
    looks like i have got most of the geometry sorted out this evening few tweeks in the service menu checked it via nokia monitor test from my laptop on the svideo input