1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung vs sharp

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bigalamos, Oct 18, 2005.

1. bigalamos

bigalamos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    im looking at getting either of these 2 screens and was wandering if anybody could tell me which to go for.it will be going in my main living room.the 2 lcds in question are the samsung le32r41bd and the sharp lc37p50e.should i go for the samsung with is hd ready but only 32" or the sharp witch is not full hd ready but is a 37" screen is it better to get a full hd ready or go for the sharp with the bigger screen bt not full hd would i notice much diffrence.

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Unless you're actually using HD content, the Sharp will look better; what do you plan on using the television with?

(hell, even with HD the Sharp might look better than the Samsung; I would not personally recommend it at all after owning one)

3. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Go for the 37” Sharp if your gonna watch your DVD collection and Sky/Freeview you won’t regret it. :)

4. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would say the Samsungs have far better styling than the Sharp's so they look like you paid more for em, even though the Sharps are usually more expensive. Its in the eye of the beholder of course, but the Sharps look like they could be rebadged as Matsui and no one would notice :)

HCC did rate the Samsung as pretty good from memory. The review link is at the top of the forum topics page I think.

5. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no way, the Sharp P50 range look far better than the Samsungs, and actually look like their well built.

6. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i will take that as your opinion, does not mean you are right though, in my opinion it is utter crap, look at the low budget stuff, chrome trims and blue lights, that dont look expensive its tacky :rolleyes:

7. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    And conversely i'll say you're are talking out of your backside - The samsung looks very stylish. the Sharp looks cheap and plasticky and yes that is my opinion.

8. JayHarkin

JayHarkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to find the Samsungs alot more stylish and more expensive looking than the Sharps. However I would rather have a Sharp LCD TV over Samsung anyday.

9. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Personally I prefer the seeing is believing addage rather then believing everything I read one. IMO the whole Sharp Aquos range, not just the P50 is as stylish and well built as you can get.

11. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So these reviewers just throw dice and pick cards to determine which sets are good and which aren't. Strange how the Samsung does well across all reviews...maybe Samsung can afford to slip the reviewers more money than the other manufacturers or maybe they don't need to !! :smashin:

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    None of the mags have yet reviewed the latest Sharps and when they did the last models last year they all said that the GD1E series was one of the best available. Personally I prefer to use my own eyes to determine which is the better, but at teh end of the day it just comes down to personal preferences.

13. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ijd - Your quite right to take it as an opinion and should be taken as such. The clues are in the post with the use of the words 'personally' and the qualifier 'In the eye of the beholder', but thanks for pointing it out.

Also, I'd take care with the language, makes your viewpoint seem a bit desperate; ...almost as if you bought a Sharp and then found out the trim looks like Plasticote and you don't want anyone to think you paid £300 for it off the market!

Calm down - just having a laugh :)

14. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There is a contradictory review of the Sharp LC-32P50E in What Video & Widescreen TV.

On the one hand it complains about motion blur on SD broadcasts (C4 cricket is the example) but then says playing DVD it is excellent.

I have not seen one comment from P50 owners on this site that even hints at motion blur being a problem.

I have seen both the Sharp and the Samsung in several shops and if I believed the reviews I would have a Samsung by now. The trouble is I have yet to see a Samsung give a realistic picture.

Now that might be down to settings but never the less the picture looks artificial to me. I have not seen such a picture on the P50's I have seen and to be fair nor on several other true HD sets.

It is down to personal taste but I can't see what the fuss is about over the Samsungs compared to just about anything never mid the P50.

Dave

15. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I dont think the sharp that lives in my lounge looks out of place alongside my sony s725d or yamaha vs10, in fact the black boxes next to the sharps styling look like they mean buisness, and they do!
    However the softer lines of my samasung in the bedroom look well sitting alongside the phillips lx3000d, a much softer look, neither sets look cheap,ugly or plasticy,
    talking from my backside i aint, my views from what i own i am, However as i stated it is my opinion... and the cheaper the stuff the more jazzed up it seems to be,
    i do not favour the sharp over the samsung or vice versa,i dont lean towards one of these manufacturers over the other,(thats why i have both) its just that the looks depend on the surroundings.

16. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im a sports fan, ive had the sammy, and a few others, and the sharp pic quality is amazing. on sd material and sky, no motion blur, no artefacts. without doubt the best lcd around for watching tv now.
    as for styling it looks ok to me, and all who come into my home comment on how good it looks.

17. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How come you've had so many ? - do you keep changing ?...have you had the current sammy ?...I have to say as much as I like it the digi artefacts when watching freeview footy do annoy me. I'd be very impressed if the sharp has none of this.

18. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im a bit picky, i like me footy and all sports inc the gee gees, if the panel aint up to it it goes back.
    buy a sharp and look at the pic from abt 6ft plus and its dvd like, on sky, and terrestial tv, if u get the settings right, and my scart from me sky box is not even connected to the rgb output. my panny plasma as that one.
    also had a lg x2r, right bag of poo.

19. 3Dgeek

3Dgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's about right, i stoped trusting these types of "roundups" a long timeago, be your own judge.. its the only way.

Reuben

20. 3Dgeek

3Dgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i saw that review and was quick to put the mag back on the shelf, didn't make much sence, they seem biased toward the "HD ready" sets but HD is far from ready.. i suspect.

The P50 is awesome.. even with my 7-8 year old DVD player, i had the Samsung LE32R31 for two days, the Sharp is way better, the design is cool, not cheap looking at all IMO.

21. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I'm a bit confused, are you trying to say that you're Sky box isn't connected to the RGB input on the P50. Are you aware that both scarts on the P50 are RGB enabled.

22. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, yes im aware, but as far as i know theres only 1 scart rgb output on the skybox.

23. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    There's only one TV out Scart on the sky box period, which is RGB enabled. The other Scart is for hooking up to your VHS.

24. jayss

jayss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but you can connect the second scart to a TV if you want.

25. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    My old Pioneer Sky Box had RGB passthrough....

26. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi yes the vhs output on the sly box is connected to my sharp lcd, therefore its not outputting rgb, and the pic is still dvd like.

27. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Oh, now I understand. Why have you connected it this way?

28. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi the rgb on the sly box goes to my panny plasma, i need one of those connecter things, so 2 rgb can go 2 different sources.

29. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Now I'm with you :)

30. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hmmm not sure I have the time to look and and form an opinion of every LCD screen that comes to market !

I've followed & bought highly recommended products over the years and have yet to be dissapointed. However if the Sharp really can show freeview sports feeds with no pixelation i'll be very impressed.