1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung vs Sagem DLP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by AndoverRed, Sep 18, 2005.

1. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,

Just wanted to gauge your thoughts on the Samsung and Sagem offerings in the DLP domain. My thoughts thus far are: -

Samsung SP50L7HX - I like this display. The PQ is excellent. The sheer size and aeshetics are open to question, but if you have the room.....
    Samsung SP46L6HX - Have not seen this yet.
    Sagem HD-D45 - Impressive with HD, but 'blocky' with analogue input. Didn't like the 'frosty' screen either.
    Sagem HD-D56 - As above, but on a larger scale! Frosty screen not so much an issue.
    Sagem HD-D50 - Have not seen this yet.

I am keen to see the smaller Samsung and new Sagem in action. I assume these are based on the cheaper HD4 chipset? The popular believe is that the older and more expensive HD2+ chipset produced better results. The proof of the pudding is in the eating I suppose.

When I watched the Samsung for 15-20 minutes I did feel a little light headed. Not sure if this was the dreaded 'rainbow effect' or the 5 pints of lager I had for lunch! :D

Regards

Mark

2. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the SP46 today whilst I was in Makro. It is a little more understated than the SP50, but as it was only hooked up to a crappy RF feed it was difficult to judge the PQ.

The Sagems PQ is decent and very bright, but if you don't like the frosty screen then that'll be all the Sagem range to a greater or lesser extent.

If I'm not wrong the Sagem HD-50 is the old model (the original Axium one), replaced by the 45 and then the 56. Out of the 3 Sagem's I'd take the 45, the piano black surround is the best looking one of the lot. Saying that, the look/feel build quality doesn't come close to the SP50. IMO :)

3. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sagem Wins - The 56 One...

4. Marksurry

Marksurry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually went out to buy the Sagem HD-D45 and ended up buying the Samsung SP46L6HX. My personel opinion was that the Samsung blew the Sagem away in the PQ stakes. The misses prefered the Samsung too :rolleyes:

5. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's 46 Inches... Too S M A L L for me...

6. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my vote goes to Optoma Rd50:

It has stunning PQ and I compared it to the Samsung L7 and the RD50 has the better PQ.
    I ve also compared the `Sagem Axium HD-D45 and the old HD-D50. And the HD-D45 had worse PQ with HD(too sharp, frosty screen) and analog signal...(blocky and much noise)
    I also compared the Sagem Axium HD-D50 with a 7000€ Sony Plasma (Sony KE-W50A10 50inch)
    . They were equal in terms of PQ.
    The Rd50 is nearly the same as the HD-D50 but with newer chip ( better contrast ), HDCP, cheaper lamp.

You wont miss a detail on divx, DVD and HD material.
    R1 studder is not that bad as many people claim....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm banging the drum for the Sagem 56" :clap: :clap:
    Cheers:hiya:

8. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went into Comet yesterday and they had the Samsung 46" and 50" and Sagem 45", 50" and 56" all in line running the same HD feed.

The Sagem 45" I could really notice the frosty screen when bright scenes were running. This wasn't noticeable on the other Sagems.

The sharpest screen was the Samsung 50".

My personnal preference was for the Samsung 46". I thought the colours looked the most realistic and really liked the picture.

I hadn't played with any of the settings this was just how they were in the shop.

9. PeWe

PeWe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lochindaal: Which Samsung did you watch? The newer SP-50L6HX with the HD4 chip? :eek:

I'm currently planning to place an order but can not decide between Sagem HD-45, Sony KDFE50A11 (LCD backproj) or the Samsung SP-50L6HX. :suicide:

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    When I was auditioning sets a few months back I auditioned both Samsung models and both Sagem models.

For me the Samsungs had the edge. Nothing to choose PQ-wise between the 46" and the 50" model.

For me the pedestal on the 50" was an issue. Firstly I want to locate a centre speaker dead centre and at an appropriate height, which was impossible with the SP50. Also, the pedestal raised the screen a little high for my liking.

So purely for the above reasons I chose the 46" Samsung over the 50".

Have had the screen for just over a month and have no issues with it at all. PQ is even better when tweaked / connected at home than PQ in showroom demos. Buy a really good quality component lead for this and you will be amazed at the resolution from DVD.

Superb colour saturation, detail resolution, contrast and brightness, as well as excellent black levels. Also, there is definitely a burn in period. The picture looked great on day one just out of the box, but has got slightly better after the first few weeks of viewing.

Happy as a happy thing! :D

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Hifiboom (and any other posters of screen pics)

Not having a go at you mate, but it's a little pointless posting all of those pictures of DVDs playing through your screen. They convey absolutely no clue as to how they actually look life size on your 50" screen.

If anything the slight softening one gets with pictures taken off screen in addition to the compression of the graphics file, probably makes the pictures look worse than they do when viewed full size on the set.

Like I say, not having a pop, just trying to save valuable bandwidth.

PS: Does the Optoma 50 play NTSC/60Hz without the need for adding scalers / Powerstrip, etc? I know that the Larger Optoma 65 has problems in this department and wondered if the 50 was the same.

12. jlanng

jlanng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How much was the Sammy 46" going for in Makro?

13. Starfleet

Starfleet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi The Paulie

You mentioned that component for DVD is the best, at the mo i'm running a scart to scart, should i buy a scart to component lead then for an even better picture. I'm still seeing rainbows not as much hopefully a month later i won't see any unless i force myself. i don't have progressive out.

14. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pics show how good the colours on this display are.... resolution is just as good as a TFT Pc monitor with 1280x720.....

of course real lif is somthing other but the pics do show how good the colour representation is...

the Rd50 does play back NTSC material, but with slight studder....

If noticed it but dont care about it as I live in Germany....

best regards

15. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm certainly considering ordering the Samsung SP46L6HX from Comet for £1,399. At least the display can be returned within 7 days if the 'rainbow effect' shows up.

I haven't seen this in a local store yet, but if it's anything like the SP50 then I'll like it. Just a little concerned about the rainbows as viewing the SP50 for 15 minutes made me feel a little trick.

16. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Comet are selling the Samsung SP50L7HXX looking at their website but I can't confirm which one I was viewing

17. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    'At least the display can be returned within 7 days if the 'rainbow effect' shows up.'

Is this Comet's normal policy? Can I order any TV from them and if I don't like it, can I return it within 7 days and get a full refund?

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not sure of the answer to that one. My DVD player has component out, so I've never had to run SCART to component, so don't know if you can output component in this way. If your DVD player doesn't do progressive out, then I would doubt that you'll see much improvement, but don't quote me on that.

Try asking the question in the cables forum - some of the techies in there will be able to tell you for certain.

19. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you buy online or over the phone Comet have a 7 day returns policy. However, you do have to return the product to your nearest Comet store though. This policy does not apply to a product purchased from a store.

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If you are susceptible to rainbows, they tend to lessen as this set runs in - so if you've got a 7 day return window, run the set in for long periods.

Also the factory settings for the picture -particularly contrast- are abnormally high. Reducing these will lessen or possibly eliminate the rainbow effect.

I'm one of those lucky ones that isn't susceptible. One of my mates is, but even he has stated that he only noticed the effect very slightly during the first week I had the set, and even then it was so slight as to be totally negligible. A month later and he states that he doesn't see them at all.

All you can do is to try it out and see for yourself.