Samsung vs Panasonic vs Philips 55" 2014TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Ferran, Feb 17, 2014.

?
  1. Panasonic TX-P55VT65B

66.7%
  2. Philips 55PFL8008

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Samsung UE55F8000

33.3%
  1. Ferran

Ferran
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm planing to buy a new TV and after reading lots of reviews, forums and stats I came up with three different models to consider.

The usage of the TV would be the PS4 and blurays in both 2D and 3D modes. I do not watch standard or "broadcast" tv since many years ago.

The TV would be placed in the living room that is 7m x 3m, in the 7m wall. There is a huge window on the left and a huge transparent sliding door on the right that goes to the garden so there might be lots of light (for England standards).

I only had one TV before in my life, it was a Panasonic plasma and it was awesome.

The three competitors are:

Panasonic TX-P55VT65B:
    - What I like? Perfect black levels, low lag, no ghosting in 3D, perfect angle views
    - What I don't like? Living room might be too bright (or not), static image burns in the screen, no enough brightness for 3D (it really annoys me the darker 3D in the cinema)
    - Review at Panasonic TX-P55VT65B review from the experts at whathifi.com

Philips 55PFL8008:
    - What I like? Great black levels, great 3D brighness, ambient light
    - What I don't like? 60ms lag, small angle views
    - Review at Philips 55PFL8008 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Samsung UE55F8000:
    - What I like? Upgradable to new models, low lag
    - What I don't like? Black levels worst than the Philips TV
    - Review at Samsung UE55F8000 review from the experts at whathifi.com

As well I was wondering that because the CES 2014 and that Panasonic will release new models by the end of April, to wait until then as I'm not in a hurry. I would like to have a tv within the next 3 or 4 months (I'm currently on projector + laptop mode).

My budget would be round £1500, but I could be a bit flexible if is really worth it.

Thank you very much for all your feedback and expertise

2. DukeUK

DukeUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like you im on a budget and want the best and biggest i can get for my money.
    I was set on the Samsung and was seconds away from ordering, until i read that a lot of Samsung TV's are not true 1080HD... instead it uses something called PenTile display???
    Ive no idea what this means or what models use it (the PS60F5500 i nearly bought yesterday does!), but what it means is less picture quality and its put me off :/
    From the ones you list i would be tempted by the Panasonic, but your £1500 budget would be stretched im thinking?

Choosing a new TV is a lot more difficult than it should be

There is the LCD vs Plasma debate....
    Im told LCD isnt very good for sport or fast moving images, But Plasma suffers burn in if left paused for example
    Then there is the reflective light issue with most budget sets, all this before we get to the smart part or the media playable from USB etc
    I was told by the wife to order a new TV last week.... im still looking, its ridiculous!!
    Honestly im thinking of just forgetting the whole idea and sticking with my 42" LG

3. Ferran

Ferran
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha indeed,

One solution would be to buy something good for £1K and wait until OLED takes place and gets flat. Maybe a new tv in a couple of years and we'd have all our problems solved ;) It does not make sense to spend now £2k in a tv that you already know that have problems, and in a couple of years spend another £2k in the tv that is really great, in all senses...

It is the eternal tech dilemma, to wait or not to wait...

4. DukeUK

DukeUK
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly, my wife sent me here
    Samsung PS60F5500 60 inch Full HD Freeview HD 3D Smart Plasma TV | very.co.uk
    Mainly because she has an account and wanted to take the 3 payment option.
    A lot of TV for £950 it seems... and im exited to get that same buzz i got when jumping from 32" to 42" again, a 60" would be like a REAL cinema experience lol
    but this PenTile display thing really put me off, apparently its also used on Galaxy S4 screens (which i have) but thats not 60" is it.

As you say, the newer OLED will be excellent but a bit expensive at first, So an in-between purchase is the way to go..... but which one :p