Samsung Vs LG Conundrum.

verved

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’ll try my best to keep it short

Had I Samsung UE40H6400 from John Lewis for nearly 5 years great TV brilliant picture but sadly developed a screen fault before lock down, repaired twice, the repair company JL used did a shocking job so JL wrote it off and gave me a part refund back towards a new TV.

Decided I would stick with Samsung.

Went for the Samsung UE43TU8000 - out the box horrendous light bleed so sent back.

Upgraded to the UE43TU8500 - loved it great picture etc, month in a screen fault developed so sent back for replacement. Out the box the replacement has severe light bleed so like with the previous sets sent images to John Lewis and they sorted it their end.

Wife’s fed up with it all now so I’ve gone for the LG 43UN81006LB instead but I’m not quite sure about this model or LG. Researching the Samsungs are VA and LG IPS? The stickler is I really like this 8500 Samsung.

I’ve also considered the Samsung QE43Q65T but is it all that as I’ve seen mixed views on it. I cannot go any bigger than 43” due to space in the bedroom.

Had a bad experience with an LG (living room) in the past since replaced with a Sony which is immense but a divorce is possible if I spend Sony money again.

Hoping folk can help me out.

Thank you.

I’ll try my best to keep it short

Had I Samsung UE40H6400 from John Lewis for nearly 5 years great TV brilliant picture but sadly developed a screen fault before lock down, repaired twice, the repair company JL used did a shocking job so JL wrote it off and gave me a part refund back towards a new TV.

Decided I would stick with Samsung.

Went for the Samsung UE43TU8000 - out the box horrendous light bleed so sent back.

Upgraded to the UE43TU8500 - loved it great picture etc, month in a screen fault developed so sent back for replacement. Out the box the replacement has severe light bleed so like with the previous sets sent images to John Lewis and they sorted it their end.

Wife’s fed up with it all now so I’ve gone for the LG 43UN81006LB instead but I’m not quite sure about this model or LG. Researching the Samsungs are VA and LG IPS? The stickler is I really like this 8500 Samsung.

I’ve also considered the Samsung QE43Q65T but is it all that as I’ve seen mixed views on it. I cannot go any bigger than 43” due to space in the bedroom.

Had a bad experience with an LG (living room) in the past since replaced with a Sony which is immense but a divorce is possible if I spend Sony money again.

Hoping folk can help me out.

Thank you.

I'd risk the divorce....I have a few times. 😆 That said I'm not sure Sony do a decent television at that size, in fact no one does really anymore. I think the Q65 is probably the best you can get but it's not a very good set.

😂

Like everyone trying to get the best with in a budget and also keeping in mind it’s a bedroom TV which is wall mounted in a corner so largest is a 43” and that’s really pushing it.
I’ve emailed JL see if they can meet me somewhere on cost with the Q65.
Thanks.

At this price range I'd go for whichever OS, motion, HDMI features and picture processing you prefer.
Are there any Sony models in budget?

IPS vs VA all have their positives and negatives so I don't think one is specifically better than the other as the VA panels can be quite variable at this tier.

FYI I think Samsung has better picture processing and motion, whilst LG have better OS normally. They've improved motion this year but not sure if its trickled down tot his TV set.

My current Sony in the living room is Android powered I have considered the 43KDX7053 but not sure what Sony‘s own OS is like compared to Tizen/WEBOS interns of apps etc.
Thanks.

You are expecting too much from low end TVs nowadays. If I was personally buying I'd buy Hisense or TCL 43" models to stand the best chance of avoiding poor screen uniformity, but no TV, no matter how expensive is anything other than a bottom end model at 43" so don't think by spending more money on a TV like the Q60T or Q65T you'll be getting a better TV.
Before buying a TV its important to know which panel type is best suited to your conditions:

VA is best for screen uniformity, but you must view it only head on. Hisense/TCL models use VA for certain. LG always use IPS at 43" and Samsung could be either. Likely if you've had some Samsung TVs with bad light bleed you've been getting models with IPS type panels.

You must, whatever you do not view a TV using a VA panel off-axis though, if you do this you are guaranteed to make screen uniformity bad.

No offence but it might be classed as low end but I expect better than this regardless of price.

Attachments

• 16FA5B76-1A49-400A-959C-D64C989C1A76.jpeg
    16FA5B76-1A49-400A-959C-D64C989C1A76.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 138
That is just poor black uniformity that is closely associated with TVs that use IPS type panels.

Take a look at the images for comparison on that website. Your old TV (Samsung H6400) uses VA type, so it wouldn't surprise me you notice a regression if you have been buying TVs instead with IPS panels.

Of course there's always a degree of luck when you buy a TV, some specimens have worse uniformity than others, but you can increase your chance by choosing the correct type of panel for your viewing conditions, which in dark environments and head-on to the TV is VA.

The sad part is, this choice can be a complicated one if you buy from Samsung because you just won't know which type of panel the TV has before you buy it. We know that LGs and Sonys at 43" use IPS, whilst Hisense and TCL use VA.

Samsung and Philips its anyone's guess which you end up with.

Take the time to read about the differences in panel types and consider going for a larger, higher spec TV if you can. For example, if you can fit a 48" OLED, you won't get any backlight bleed at all...or if you can fit a 50" LCD TV like the Hisense U7Q, you will at least get better screen uniformity because of the VA panel + local dimming. If you are limited to only 43" then you can certainly do better than that picture, but you can't really get a TV that is that much better than your old one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom