Samsung unveils QD-Display: The Quantum Dot meets OLED TV display - news discussion

I presume that technical reasons (such as low yield of the panels perhaps) are why this is currently available in only 55- and 65-inch sizes, rather than larger sizes. Also I'd be curious about the prices! Since it combines the best of LCD and OLED, it should be good in both bright and dim rooms.

I thought micro was the best of both worlds, but will settle for QD until it arrives. Keen to know pricing too, £6K was rumoured, hoping come in way cheaper than that, its just a sheet of QDots afterall :) (I jest).
With Sony joining the party, I can see it being expensive, Samsung/Sony flags always are toppy (even with competition)

Last edited:
The £6k price is very similar to Samsung and LGs launch prices of their first large screen OLEDS back in 2012/2013. So from that perspective it does not seem that unreasonable for a first gen model. At that price Samsung wont be expecting to sell many of these but hopefully if they can get the yields up at the same rate as LG did with their RGBW OLED then the price of the second generation will be much lower. (LGs second generation of OLEDs were less that half the price of the first gen ones.)

I notice that the QD-OLED does not have a polarizing filter like the LG's RGB OLEDs do. The polarizing filter in an OLED is to cut down on reflections - but it comes at the cost of blocking a proportion of the emitted light. Not having a polarizing filter should make a display significantly brighter. (I wonder why QD-OLED does not need a polarizing filter to block reflections - perhaps they don't have an internal mirror like LG's OLED does to reflect all emitted light out of the front of the screen.)

This really makes life more difficult for anyone thinking of jumping in on a high-end TV this year. A complete unknown quantity at this stage but has the potential to really shake things up if the elevated peak brightness claims in particular are applicable in real-world use (I.e. outside of vivid mode).

It took LG a number of years to largely iron out multiple issues with their OLED panels - tinting & low IRE banding / noise etc. It would be foolhardy to expect Samsung to nail it on their first attempt. 1st year pricing is likely to be excessive for most too.

However, fascinated to see how this develops over the next 18 months or so. If they can squeeze out an extra 200 nits or so brightness in a gamma & colour-accurate mode over an LG OLED panel then that would be worth paying a premium for imo.

Agree @davejones2 go for cheaper ironed out WRGB oleds or potentially more expensive gen 1 QDOleds, tough call if coming from plasma/lcd.
The wise man would avoid gen 1, but with exciting tech, it’s hard to, need the early adopters to keep things ticking along !
Assuming it reviews well and prices are reachable I’ll be joining in 2023/24.

Agree @davejones2 go for cheaper ironed out WRGB oleds or potentially more expensive gen 1 QDOleds, tough call if coming from plasma/lcd.
The wise man would avoid gen 1, but with exciting tech, it’s hard to, need the early adopters to keep things ticking along !
Assuming it reviews well and prices are reachable I’ll be joining in 2023/24.
Not really that hard :) just joking.
I am over the moon and gen 2 in 65 will be mine if the real life tests are confirmed. A Sony or pana. More saturated colors paradise

A Sony or pana. More saturated colors paradise
Yeah, attach a wee thermal plate on the back and we are sorted…oops, that’s gen3 of course rumour has it they (or at least the Son) has a heatsink

It will be interesting to see if Sony support DV with it (assuming they will). Any news on that front guys?

Edit: Robert Zohn just said Sony will have DV, and as expected, Samsung won’t..expects it (supposed guess) around $8k

Last edited:
I rembmber the S9C 55" being 7k at launch. This is what I've been waiting for a while. Better colour saturation and less filtering, less light loss. I'm definitely will be replacing my C9 with probably a second generation QD-OLED.

As always with Samsung I'll wait for the reviews and user experience/input before jumping in , even then the price for a high end Samsung display quite often has more impact than the actual product .

That said I hope that all them bells n whistles actually deliver as can only lead to greater things for all.

Exciting times ahead but this pic, come on, as if the current OLEDs are a piece of crap... :laugh:

image.php

Samsung pulled the same stunt with the Linus Tech Tips marketing video. They had the new QD-OLED next to the outgoing LG G1… no mention of calibration to one or both sets, plenty of claims surrounding abilities and to be fair to LTT they did perform some measurements.

I’m sceptical but hopeful.

It was an interesting video, and they almost had me, but the Oled looked far too blue in comparison, so assumed it was not calibrated / in any sort of decent preset.

I guess vincent couldn't talk about it but someone else could :)

Explains how it works, how it's different as it doesnt need that white subpixel just to get the lumens up up (imagine how dim OLED would be without the W in RGBW as that video shows that's where alot the out lumens comes from compared to the RGB subpixels :( ). It's the perceived brightness that intrigues me as even latched down to the same lumens as a std RGBW OLED it's still looks brighter...and then it's can increase its lumens further :)

I hope it's going to be a competitive to latest LED tech and not smoke an mirrors.

Roll on 2nd gen when it's hopefully affordable :)

It was an interesting video, and they almost had me, but the Oled looked far too blue in comparison, so assumed it was not calibrated / in any sort of decent preset.
Samsung marketing has quite often out performed the product .

He can talk about the one in samsung display demo room, but not the one from samsung electronics yet

I edited my post you quoted as for some reason managed to cut and past part of my previous post as a new post. Finger trouble on mobile phone :)

Coming from plasma to panasonic oled I've always been a bit disappointed with the colour, never seemed as natural as my vt50. Cant believe it took almost 15 years to get a true rgb display

If they don't support Dolby vision then I will stick with LG, all the services I watch use Dolby Vision

If they don't support Dolby vision then I will stick with LG, all the services I watch use Dolby Vision

Agreed. Some will tell you HDR10+ is sufficient so no need for DV. However, if i'm paying top dollar then I should get all the specs that even cheaper TV's support. These excuses just give manufacturers the opportunity to remove features.

1.I dont belive Samsung even if i loved my Q90R.
2.Independent tests....
3.Blue oled is most short lived one i think?....
4.Price...it will need years to be competetive...today i saw here in Germany LG G1 55inch for 1280eu.
5.Dolby Vision could be relevant for many buyers.
6.LG Xe oled panel with rummored 1300nits.

When all this get checkd we will have micro leds on market.

From what I have read - Samsung only has plans for a one year release and then see how thinks transpire at the the end of that period as to how they move forward.

Samsung Electronics certainly don't seem like they are "all in" on this for some reason.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom