Samsung unveils QD-Display: The Quantum Dot meets OLED TV display - news discussion

I am pretty sure LG will have their own version of QD OLED in the works as its should be as no surprise to them that Samsung have been working on QD technologies for over 10 years.
It is going to be interesting over the next few years to see where the technology goes.
I am still running a LG C8 65" and think the picture quality is fantastic, not in a rush to replace it for a good few years yet.
Like somebody mentioned, QD OLED will be better than existing OLED screens, but by how much... 15% better? 20%? And for what price over OLED... 50% more cost? Is it worth it?

I am pretty sure LG will have their own version of QD OLED in the works as its should be as no surprise to them that Samsung have been working on QD technologies for over 10 years.
It is going to be interesting over the next few years to see where the technology goes.
I am still running a LG C8 65" and think the picture quality is fantastic, not in a rush to replace it for a good few years yet.
Like somebody mentioned, QD OLED will be better than existing OLED screens, but by how much... 15% better? 20%? And for what price over OLED... 50% more cost? Is it worth it?
There are still things that LG Display can do to improve its WOLED technology: they could switch to top emission, get rid of the polariser as Samsung Display has done with QD-OLED... the big advance will come when a new high-efficiency blue OLED emitter is finally available. That will be great for all forms of OLED technology.

I just read article and for first bigest difference is in VIVID mode while in calibrated not so much betwen A95K and A90J.
It seems that qdoled has more relaxed ABL.

Unless the sets are on the same settings side by side, I would never trust these type of articles. All of a sudden the A90J looks dull and pale. Come on.

Only this time it's not coming from samsung, another BS comment 🙂

Getting the TVs on similar settings and then comparing would be the right thing to do.

Unless the sets are on the same settings side by side, I would never trust these type of articles. All of a sudden the A90J looks dull and pale. Come on.
By this article in calibrated mode they looks almost the same....

Getting the TVs on similar settings and then comparing would be the right thing to do.
Thanks, I lost this thread

By this article in calibrated mode they looks almost the same....

Yes for SDR and QD-OLED looking a bit better on HDR. Once again, too early.

I won't anyway be buying any TV under 75 inches as my 77 is already looking smaller :)

Yes for SDR and QD-OLED looking a bit better on HDR. Once again, too early.
I belive that qd oled panels are better but not 3-4 times higher price...maybe 30% more expensive would be ok but not more than that.
And thats massive problem and also they compared to 2021 model a d EX oled panels should make this visual difference even smaller.

I belive that qd oled panels are better but not 3-4 times higher price...maybe 30% more expensive would be ok but not more than that.
And thats massive problem and also they compared to 2021 model a d EX oled panels should make this visual difference even smaller.

The differences have to be noticeable and appreciable right off the bat for 4K HDR on QD-OLED compared to WOLED with similar settings. If people struggle to make out differences, then QD-OLEDs will struggle to sell but I think it is good for competition.

The differences have to be noticeable and appreciable right off the bat for 4K HDR on QD-OLED compared to WOLED with similar settings. If people struggle to make out differences, then QD-OLEDs will struggle to sell but I think it is good for competition.
It is,monopol is worst thing for us buyers.
This will make prices go down and tech advances more faster.

It is,monopol is worst thing for us buyers.
This will make prices go down and tech advances more faster.

Yeah but credits to LG for not giving up on WOLED. I heard OLEDs sold well in the USA in 2021 to the point there isn't much of stock left in bigger sizes.

Yeah but credits to LG for not giving up on WOLED. I heard OLEDs sold well in the USA in 2021 to the point there isn't much of stock left in bigger sizes.
Ofcourse,credits should go where are deserved but now is time for faster progresing of oled tech.
In any case i went from Q90R to this G1 and i can say...now i have tv wich i consider close to perfection.

I think Samsung Display needed to make QD-OLED both 8k and in larger screen sizes to truly justify its place as a premium product offering.

I can really only see the 55 and 65in panels selling to wealthy videophiles with restricted space. And that's a tiny market.

The 34in monitor version of the tech may actually do a lot better. It will appeal to both content creators and PC gamers and it's streets ahead of any LCD monitor I can think of, or indeed JOLED's 60hz RGB OLED monitor panels (e.g. LG Ultrafine).

We need a new way of measuring brightness when comparing Samsung's QD-OLED with LG's WRGB!

One point made in the video below is how much brighter the red, green and blue primaries are on a QD-OLED than a WRGB OLED. (This is mentioned around 6 minutes in.)

For a G1 WRGB OLED the maximum brightness of each primary was measured follows:

Red - 67 nits
Green - 269 nits
Blue - 28 nits

This gives a total of 364 nits. However, when displaying pure white (which is how nits are normally measured) the display can reach 865 nits because it uses the 4th white pixel.

For the QD-OLED the maximum brightness of each primary was measured as follows:

Red - 159 nits (2.4 x brighter than the LG)
Green - 882 nits (3.3 x brighter than the LG)
Blue - 70 nits (2.5 x brighter than the LG)

This gives a total of 1,111 nits or 3 times brighter than the LG OLED. Peak white was 1,448 (Given that white is made only of RGB on these displays, I am not sure how peak white is still brighter than the sum of the colours unless each primary can somehow be boosted further when displaying white?)

Apparently, because the primaries are brighter, if you calibrate both displays to the same brightness, then the QD-OLED appears brighter when displaying anything other than pure white.

So the simple brightness of white in nits that is normally quoted is not a good comparison between displays of different types.

Yeah, that was a good comparison by LTT. I know it was paid for (and I did hate clicking into yet another LTT clickbait title/thumbnail), but unless they are lying about the measured numbers, it definitely made sense and was impressive.

When I saw that I did think that we (buyers and even reviewers and calibrators here) have all been fooled by the extra white subpixel giving these "fake" peak nits figures. By right they should have turned off the white subpixel somehow while measuring peak nit figures of the other three RGB subpixels. Also very interesting in that video showing the colour spectrum graphs and how much more accurate the new QD one is than the older WRGB panels.

Yeah, that was a good comparison by LTT. I know it was paid for (and I did hate clicking into yet another LTT clickbait title/thumbnail), but unless they are lying about the measured numbers, it definitely made sense and was impressive.

When I saw that I did think that we and even reviewers and calibrators here) have all been fooled by the extra white subpixel giving these "fake" peak nits figures. By right they should have turned off the white subpixel somehow while measuring peak nit figures of the other three RGB subpixels. Also very interesting in that video showing the colour spectrum graphs and how much more accurate the new QD one is than the older WRGB panels.
I don’t give a damn if it is not brighter (bonus) I want saturated beautiful accurate colors at high peak. Simple

I want saturated beautiful accurate colors at high peak. Simple

Yes and that is exactly what WOLED is not able to do (as well as this QD is). Once the colour subpixels max out at their individual max nit values, anything over that is just the white subpixel brighting it up more, so saturation goes down overall, so its not able to display bright saturated colours at all (they are outside its colour gamut).

Yes and that is exactly what WOLED is not able to do (as well as this QD is). Once the colour subpixels max out at their individual max nit values, anything over that is just the white subpixel brighting it up more, so saturation goes down overall, so its not able to display bright saturated colours at all (they are outside its colour gamut).
I notice it in my Oled.
I have even a special setting for hdr at 60 instead of 100.
I can SEE the difference but I am happy for now with this superb picture when not pushed too hard.

When I saw that I did think that we (buyers and even reviewers and calibrators here) have all been fooled by the extra white subpixel giving these "fake" peak nits figures. By right they should have turned off the white subpixel somehow while measuring peak nit figures of the other three RGB subpixels. Also very interesting in that video showing the colour spectrum graphs and how much more accurate the new QD one is than the older WRGB panels.

I think that what we should look for from now on is:
(1) Maximum peak white when calibrated - as we get at the moment.
(2) Maximum brightness for each calibrated colour primary.
(3) Ratio of Maximum Peak White vs Sum of primary maximums. I would call this the Washout Factor or Dilution Factor. The higher this number the more washed out/diluted the colours are at peak brightness.

The G1 OLED and QD-OLED would score as follows:
G1 - max peak white 865, sum of max primaries 364, washout factor 2.4
QD OLED - max peak white 1,448, sum of max primaries 1,111, washout factor 1.3

So the QD-OLED has peak white that is 67% higher, peak primaries that are 205% brighter and is only half as "washed out".

I think that what we should look for from now on is:
(1) Maximum peak white when calibrated - as we get at the moment.
(2) Maximum brightness for each calibrated colour primary.
(3) Ratio of Maximum Peak White vs Sum of primary maximums. I would call this the Washout Factor or Dilution Factor. The higher this number the more washed out/diluted the colours are at peak brightness.

The G1 OLED and QD-OLED would score as follows:
G1 - max peak white 865, sum of max primaries 364, washout factor 2.4
QD OLED - max peak white 1,448, sum of max primaries 1,111, washout factor 1.3

So the QD-OLED has peak white that is 67% higher, peak primaries that are 205% brighter and is only half as "washed out".
Thèse numbers are legit ?
Didn’t expect the difference to be so big
You sure these are not vivid max numbers ?

Thèse numbers are legit ?
Didn’t expect the difference to be so big
You sure these are not vivid max numbers ?
Those numbers come from LTT (Linus Tech Tips) on YouTube in the video I linked bove. It looked like he used a decent meter though he did not explicitly say that they were calibrated values.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom