• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung Ultra Slimfit shown

Mofoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8yS2xcxKg

Look at this video, this is the Samsung forum show for Europe this year, and they have just demoed the ultra slim fir tv, you can see the pictures of it about halfway through.

We have no word on how good the set's are yet, or what the geometry and convergence issues are if any, but it's another huge leap forward for CRT if they can manage to perfect tubes at this size.

Please post information if you come across it guy's.

Eiji

Wow.

clipboard01iw5.jpg

Lets just hope the geometry isn't trash on these new sets. They really need to sort out the deflection issues.

onkeh

Yeah I have a Sammy slimfit, the geometry is OK but the two inches of blur down either edge is the real killer for me :(

simon194

I think only the 21" 4:3 and 32" widescreen versions will be available in Europe.

Interestingly Samsung reckon there is plenty of mileage left in CRT technology. As one presentation stated the depth of an LCD or plasma display is irrelevent if it's stood on a unit with AV kit underneath it.

When you consider that the overall footprint of the current SlimFits is not much more than something like a Panny Viera on it's stand, you can see their point.

Eiji

Yeah, thats true. Depth would only matter in situations like wall mounting where you need the TV to be as slim as possible.

Mofoman

I think only the 21" 4:3 and 32" widescreen versions will be available in Europe.

Interestingly Samsung reckon there is plenty of mileage left in CRT technology. As one presentation stated the depth of an LCD or plasma display is irrelevent if it's stood on a unit with AV kit underneath it.

When you consider that the overall footprint of the current SlimFits is not much more than something like a Panny Viera on it's stand, you can see their point.

Yeah, and they are hard, hard at work, at correcting all the issue's with the slimmer tube such as deflection, and convergence, and I am sure they will crack it eventually, if the slimfit series continue's to be as successful as it has been over the last few year's.

I am absolutely over the moon my favourite technology is here to stay for a little while yet here in the UK and if they achieve the final aim off getting the size down to less than 20cm, and on the beautiful stand's that they have shown at press event's and on the vixlim homepage(korean name for slimfit). IF and that's a big IF, they get the technology working perfectly on the set's that are less than 20cm, then it will deliver a real threat to Plasma and LCD screen's in Europe.

Also, the 32 inch Ultra Slimfit is meant to be Full HD, 1920 x 1080 progressive. In the Vixlim homepage, it state's this is what they were aiming for, and (I have spoke to a few people in the know, and they say these are the specs that were projected for Ultra Slimfit. That's pretty impressive if you ask me, and hopefully, these set's will get better as advance are made with the Pixelworks chips too, along with the newer tubes.

Also on the korean page, it say's Ultra slimfit may be available in 34inch, 25 inch, and 21 inch set's. I think in UK we will more than likely see a 32inch set only, and hopefully the set does turn out to be 1080p. I won't be buying one right away though as I have my 419d, I am going to wait and see what advances in both the tube technology, and Bluejay chip are made.

The first Bluejay chip's may not have completely eliminated geometry problem's but they have vastly improved them and vastly improved the convergence issue's in the technology as well reducing the problems with the corners of the screen.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I hope they AREN'T 1080p - as that would more than likely mean they would not display 1080i natively - and would use de-interlacers. The one benefit CRTs currently have is native display of 1080i...

(1080p requires twice the line rate of 1080i at the same refresh rate... Building a tube and line-scan system that copes with two scan rates is expensive and difficult to do well)

KyoDash

Indeed that would be a bad thing.

If they do 1080p though, I expect native 1080i/720p and 480p like current sets. The current slim-fit I believe is multi-sync to a certain extent and uses defection yolkes to achieve progressive 720p. If it doesn't then the whole reason for buying a CRT goes out the window for me. Especially if 480p isn't natively supported.

I have some faith in them though, seeing as it's possible to have different resolutions native by having a multi-sync, but not completely multi-scan tube. The wonders of high-frequency deflection.

onkeh

Heck I wonder if it's even possible to get 1080p on a CRT?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Of course it's possible - some folk do it already on PC CRT monitors (which normally operate in progressive mode).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

M

MattyS54

lol at these ultra slimfit tvs. i bought a 21inch one from argos just to see if the geometry problems were much of an issue. the set looked swish and the picture was really super clean and sharp, but the geometry was abysmal...i connected up my wii via RGB and almost every single straight line was well bent out of shape - not just a little bit either, wavy lines absolutely everywhere...a joke...took it straight back - they shouldn't be selling these crappy tv's....

lovecats

Banned
also own a 21" ultra slimfit, and image is fine, no geo problems Ive noticed, and far better than any 21" lcd ( or any lcd / plasma for that matter )

they are really slim sets, and look like plasmas from the front.....gloss black too....

I had a 26" sammy lcd set before, which was just horrible......neither lcd or plasma are even close to CRT tech, and never will, CRT is a far better tech for moving images..... ( do some net research if u wanna know the techie reasons why :lesson: )

as for 1080P being possible on a CRT tv ?

well, my CRT projector, has 8" CRT tubes, and they can achieve 1600x1200-P resolution..... :lesson:

so a 32" set can achieve much much more, given the extra phosphor space......

i really hope the new 32" ultra slimfits are good, my current 25" trinitron is long in the tooth now, and i there is no way I will use a lcd or plasma set in my house.... :nono:

lovecats

Banned
lol at these ultra slimfit tvs. i bought a 21inch one from argos just to see....

The argos sets are the older SLIM FIT models, not newer Ultra-Slim Fit.....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...06586.Televisions>C$Brand=Samsung.Samsung.htm

besides, IF your set had " really wavy lines " then clearly it is FAULTY, dont think Samsung would release a set bending lines like that !!! If i bought a car and it steered to the left, I wouldnt say XXXXX cars are rubbish .... I would think there must be a fault with it instead....... hairwire comments like these dont help anyone......

the ULTRA-slim fit I have, is really good geo, the only giveaway thats its slim tube, is the edges are wider pitched then centre, so image appears a little darker, but still reasonably sharp and not blurred......

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom