Samsung UE65JU7000 (JU7000) 4K Ultra HD TV Review

FUNKYWINKERBEAN

Just spent some time over Christmas with the 55" version at my parents house although I wasn't able to try out the calibration settings you found effective. Overall it is definitely a good TV for the money, however I just felt that I wanted more from it, especially when watching football. I would agree that you do experience some banding. No discernible back light bleed which is always good. Blacks were also good. It was my first experience of the "soap opera effect" in certain modes, however I wouldn't say that I disliked it at all.

My brother originally bought this TV, however my dad managed to loose (left outside and were stolen) the connection box and remote which Samsung were absolutely useless in helping him replace so my dad bought a new TV for my brother and kept the older one. He eventually contacted a Samsung certified engineer in Dundee who was excellent and got the item to him the next day.

One question would be how much does the banding and motion improve further up the Samsung TV ladder?

One question would be how much does the banding and motion improve further up the Samsung TV ladder?
I had the js9000. Zero banding and as for motion it's not something that I've ever really noticed being good or bad in general on any TV. They all seem the same to me. There was no juddering or stutters if that helps. But alas the light bleed was just too much for me so went back.

johnjay

Light-bleed is unavoidable with the brightness of these sets.
What's next Magi-Processing? (even though it wouldn't hide light-bleed in midrange panels anyways)

kjhank

Novice Member
Hi there,
good to see another well-written review. I've got one question though. Are you sure it's edge-lit? I've read that this model has a direct-LED backlight (without local dimming, of course). The deep chasis and backlight homogeneity would suggest so.

jefferys77

Novice Member
Hi
I had a Samsung 60H6400 which I was very happy with except for the banding you mentioned on the ju7000. I thought that the remote on the 6400 was vastly superior especially if you used it to operate a set top box and sound bar. The banding drove me to distraction and so I upgraded to a 60ju7000 which interestingly based on your experience has no banding. Initially I was disappointed with the picture quality but after using settings I found on a site called rtings.com it improved to the level of the h6400, but with richer colours and better sound via my sound bar due to the addition of HD sound encoding. Motion control is excellent and I use the motion control functionality that reviewers usually recommend that you disable. If I was to split hairs I would say that the grey uniformity is not perfect, but not a big issue. I would also say that if the multi function remote is not important to you, you could save a lot of cash with a HD tv like the j6200 (6300 in some markets). Basically look at the top of the line Samsung Full HD TV. UHD is great but with so little content available your time would be better spent on looking for full HD streaming content.

Last edited:

jefferys77

Novice Member
Just spent some time over Christmas with the 55" version at my parents house although I wasn't able to try out the calibration settings you found effective. Overall it is definitely a good TV for the money, however I just felt that I wanted more from it, especially when watching football. I would agree that you do experience some banding. No discernible back light bleed which is always good. Blacks were also good. It was my first experience of the "soap opera effect" in certain modes, however I wouldn't say that I disliked it at all.

My brother originally bought this TV, however my dad managed to loose (left outside and were stolen) the connection box and remote which Samsung were absolutely useless in helping him replace so my dad bought a new TV for my brother and kept the older one. He eventually contacted a Samsung certified engineer in Dundee who was excellent and got the item to him the next day.

I had a Samsung h6400 with banding, but my ju7000 is perfect. May be luck of the draw as up until now I could find no one with a similar experiece.

charles

Banding now seems to be an issue that is being noticed by many more people and is being commented on in reviews.It still seems a lottery though since many AV members do not have issues with their sets.Is this Samsung direct lit?since this is where the problems seem to be ,with edge lit sets normally free of this.In the Panasonic forum you will see that myself and others are struggling to get a 802 series TV that is free of noticeable banding.Luckily many reports are from members who do not have this issue,so it would seem to make sense to keep returning sets until you do have a set that is free of this issue since they are out there(but not in great numbers)

Light-bleed is unavoidable with the brightness of these sets.
What's next Magi-Processing? (even though it wouldn't hide light-bleed in midrange panels anyways)
On edge lit sets yes - and some worse than others. Mine was on the worse side. My next set will be FALD.

jefferys77

Novice Member
Banding now seems to be an issue that is being noticed by many more people and is being commented on in reviews.It still seems a lottery though since many AV members do not have issues with their sets.Is this Samsung direct lit?since this is where the problems seem to be ,with edge lit sets normally free of this.In the Panasonic forum you will see that myself and others are struggling to get a 802 series TV that is free of noticeable banding.Luckily many reports are from members who do not have this issue,so it would seem to make sense to keep returning sets until you do have a set that is free of this issue since they are out there(but not in great numbers)
Yes, h6400 and ju7000 are direct lit.

Strangely I managed to narrow the cause a little. If I adjusted my STB output to 60hz and not 50hz the banding went away, but the motion control was poor. No judder at 50hz but a bothersome amount for me on 60hz. I'm more sensitive to judder than most. Many STB are not adjustable though.

Samsung replaced basically every component in my TV and eventually replaced it. Samsung tried 2 other panels in the tv, but it remained the same. I came to the conclusion that it's not the panel but more something with the HDMI ports or the componentry that processes the video signal? If i only plugged in a tv aerial the banding was not present. Tv still had banding if STB was plugged in? Too bizarre? Having said that they replaced the power supply and I believe the video processing circuitry but with no success. When they open the TV there are only about 4 or 5 components inside these days. As an aside I think the 60" panels are manufactured by Sharp. I believe there are also 2 types TS01 and another.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Hi there,
good to see another well-written review. I've got one question though. Are you sure it's edge-lit? I've read that this model has a direct-LED backlight (without local dimming, of course). The deep chasis and backlight homogeneity would suggest so.
its direct lit for sure,

I had the 75" and it was good picture wise but the 75" sony I had after was better, both was plagued with banding and dse, not good at all. and in total between 5 of them everyone had banding and dse.

RMR1der

Hi

I have the 65JU7080. I can confirm slight banding visible when watching soccer or playing Fifa...
But its not really bad.

charles

As two owners of these sets confirm you can buy one that is free of banding,so if your TV whatever the make has this issue simply keep returning until you have a band free set.Eventually the manufacturers will ask themselves as to why only some of their direct lit models are free of banding and do something about it.Hisense a new budget brand can produce a direct lit set without banding as confirmed in AV Forum's review so there is no excuse why a premium brand such as Samsung or Panasonic should produce sets with banding and expect the customer to pay a premium price !

johnjay

On edge lit sets yes - and some worse than others. Mine was on the worse side. My next set will be FALD.
FALD sets are not unaffected either. As long as manufacturers keep pushing the brightness barriers it's a simple conclusion. Unless they employ some sort of panel filters, I doubt we will see a fully uniform panel regarding light-protrusion. Funny they achieved a solid result in the Sony X-4500, 8 years ago but it was a well built hunk of tech with RGB leds. None of this losing uniform PQ for the sake of aesthetics.

Yeah obviously can be worse on Edge-lit models, but then again Edge-lit models have been known to outperform Direct-lit frame dimming TVs regarding light uniformity too so...
But I am confident forthcoming FALD sets will perform to a good level as to be competitive...they must. I only hope the 4k TV I buy shortly (4-6 months) will be as uniform as my w829 1080p set; It is a dab hand when it comes to clouding & edge/corner light intrusion.
OLED with HDR is still holding a high price with one or two iffy issues unfortunately so I won't be indulging just yet... The manufacturers seem to be going in more now for Direct-lit LED models. Lets hope they are acceptably uniform.;)

stueyg22

Edge lit tv's are more or less on the way out,5yrs from now they won't be selling them new at all, FALD and OLED only.''HDR'' will make Edge lit another footnote in display history.

Last edited:
Edge lit tv's are more or less on the way out,5yrs from now they won't be selling them new at all, FALD and OLED only.''HDR'' will make Edge lit another footnote in display history.
I was very impressed by the HDR on the edge lit js9000. So much so it's now paramount on my list of priorities for my next tv and I can only imagine how good it will be on a FALD set. This is why I've held of the Hisense 65XT910

stueyg22

Agree,and in 4 days we will know everything that's hitting the shelves in 2016....im really looking forward to see what Hisense has up it's sleeve,they are the sponsors of Euro 2016,so i suspect that they will want to get their TV's to market as quickly as possible,Samsung did it last year by March.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

Apologies, Samsung said it was edge but on further checking, i.e. pressing my face to the back of the panel to peer in through the vents, I can make out a couple of LEDs at the back, although there seem to be more around the edges. Either way, it had really good dark screen uniformity which is the main thing.

johnjay

I was very impressed by the HDR on the edge lit js9000. So much so it's now paramount on my list of priorities for my next tv and I can only imagine how good it will be on a FALD set. This is why I've held of the Hisense 65XT910
Of course there has to be a difference. Led TVs are really bright theses days & I would expect a HDR encode to make a big difference to the standard image regardless of the lighting. FALD sets will be more stable obviously, but I am not surprised by your opinion of HDR on a bells & whistles edge-led Samsung TV.
Re: Edge-lit TVs future- Only enthusiasts too will look to go direct, full array etc. Edge-lit sets will remain for smaller sizes & mass produced barebone sets...imo. :smashin:

E55exjay

Novice Member
Hi new to this does any one now the part number for the av board that this TV use's end info would greatly appreciated, many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution