Samsung UE55TU7100: Is this going to be ok?

faidtoblack

Hi

My sister is looking to purchase a new TV for her family. I am thinking about advising her to just get the lowest model Samsung (UE55TU7100). They want a 55'' and the usage will be Netflix, CBBC for the kids and then watching some sport (mainly rugby). They don't have sky so the viewing will be through the apps. A Samsung set would suit them best as they are familiar with the platform. I realize that set I have mentioned is the cheapest set that Samsung do but I can't see any reason why they should spend any more. They are currently using a 32'' Samsung so surely anything will be something of an improvement. Am I right in thinking that all the Samsung sets at 55' are going to have VA panels? Is this TV going to be a waste or money or does it make sense for them considering their requirements? What benefits would the next set up (UE55TU8500) give them over the one I have mentioned?

Thanks for the help

Dodgexander

With Samsung its a lottery which kind of panel they get, so it makes it hard to recommend there TVs at 55". At 50" and 58" they are for certain VA though so if that is the kind of panel that will suit them more, shop at those sizes instead to avoid risk of an IPS type.

With sales round the corner it doesn't make much sense to buy currently, I'd be waiting to see what drops between Black Friday and Xmas.

Only problem really in buying a low end TV nowadays is future proofing. The low tier TVs are not suited for HDR use, so if they are to use a Netflix premium plan and watch HDR content, no TV at this kind of level is going to display it properly. For a layman maybe it doesn't matter though, since it will be an improvement on their current setup.

faidtoblack

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is that a Samsung set will suit them best and they have only really got space for a 55''. I would personally never risk the chance of an IPS panel for myself, but they do have a wall of windows opposite the TV so I am wondering whether an IPS (should the panel be one) might not be a disaster for them. They are also probably going to be viewing from a bit of an angle (maybe 45 degrees or so) as that is where their main sofa is positioned in relation to the screen. Am I right in thinking an IPS panel would fair better with viewing angles and reflections?

I was originally going to suggest one of the higher ends Samsung TVs with the anti reflective technology but it seems madness for them to spend that much for their purposes. They have only ever had a 32'' tv and I am thinking that anything is going to be a massive upgrade. The issue is that I have a Panasonic OLED and do not have much knowledge at all of the sets at the lower end. I just don't want to recommend them something that is going to be a waste of money.

Dodgexander

Most people view the TV from a variety of angles in a room that is either well lit during the day, or has lights on at night. In this scenario an IPS panel is definitely better.

The problem though is just not knowing what you end up with. Could be either type at 55 or 49". As long as they buy from a good retailer though if they are unhappy they will be able to return the TV.

VA panels viewing angles are poor, you have maybe 20-30 degrees before the picture gets darker and washed out. Even at a 45 degree angle you're on the limit of IPS panels looking similar from the front. If you went with Sony or LG instead you'd know what type of panel the TV comes with at least.

faidtoblack

Thanks again.

I think I will recommend them the cheapest Samsung set. They are going to get it from JL so if it really is not good they can send it back.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom