Samsung UE55MU7000 4K LED TV Review & Comments

It would be ideal if it wasn't such a beast of a size.
While the specs are good, 55" is unrealistic for me. Nothing in the low-40s or below has been reviewed on here since 2015 and I know that's because that's all the manufacturers are pushing out for review but I cannot see the day coming soon when I'll want a 49-75" TV. It's like if your favourite car website now only reviewed Limousines.
Personally I like the forums and the disc reviews here but have to sigh when a new TV review comes along because my requirements, which years ago were about as big as most people wanted, are not going to be included. Sony's 1080p HDR sets are an intriguing development as they are available in 43" variants but are they practically any use? What Hi-fi recently reviewed Samsung's 40MU6400 which was a good move but otherwise, it's big beast city and frustrating for AV-minnows like me when we want to get involved/excited by tech.

Any news on reviews of the mu6400 series? Very similliar TV but a lot of complaints of panel bleed issues (mine included).

Spent a bit of time at the weekend with my parents JU7000. To be honest, if i had that TV, I would be fairly happy when compared to my current 42" g20 Panasonic. The Sony xe90 is what I want, but i am also considering buying a console which would put it out if budget, therefore this would be a good alternative, how would the MU7000 compare to the JU7000? Ultimately I will wait a few months for black Friday before I pull the trigger.

Isn't this TV a backward step from the KS range? Lower peak brightness for HDR, and poorer tracking of rec.2020. Yet it's more expensive. Glad I got my KS7000 when I did.

Thanks for another great review! I might have missed it, but i think an important point on all 4k tv's under the motion section would be to mention the different panel refresh rates.A lot of 4k panels today are only 50 Hz refresh rate, and that should be specified as it impacts motion quite a lot, especially for gamers.
Thank you again! A good day!

Last edited:
I have seen the 49" Q7 model for ÂŁ1299 with a free blu ray player and Planet Earth in 4k at Curry's. Seems like a decent alternate option unless 55" is essential.

I have seen the 49" Q7 model for ÂŁ1299 with a free blu ray player and Planet Earth in 4k at Curry's. Seems like a decent alternate option unless 55" is essential.

It's back up to ÂŁ1399 now at Currys but was still ÂŁ1299 at Richer Sounds for the 49".

8 bit plus dither or legit 10 bit?
It's a 10-bit panel.
Thanks for another great review! I might have missed it, but i think an important point on all 4k tv's under the motion section would be to mention the different panel refresh rates.A lot of 4k panels today are only 50 Hz refresh rate, and that should be specified as it impacts motion quite a lot, especially for gamers.
Thank you again! A good day!
The native panel refresh rate is 100Hz.

This one is the first actual value-for-money Samsung I have seen this year - at least 'round these parts there are some decent prices around. Shame the screen filter does not seem to be one of the moth eye-like ones.

Spent a bit of time at the weekend with my parents JU7000. To be honest, if i had that TV, I would be fairly happy when compared to my current 42" g20 Panasonic. The Sony xe90 is what I want, but i am also considering buying a console which would put it out if budget, therefore this would be a good alternative, how would the MU7000 compare to the JU7000? Ultimately I will wait a few months for black Friday before I pull the trigger.

You would be far better purchasing last years 55KS7000 - a far better TV and cheaper:
UE55KS7000

You will find a review of the KS7000 on this site:
Samsung KS7000 (UE55KS7000) UHD 4K TV Review

Isn't this TV a backward step from the KS range? Lower peak brightness for HDR, and poorer tracking of rec.2020. Yet it's more expensive. Glad I got my KS7000 when I did.

You could argue that over the JS range too, Samsung's first HDR series, and the JS8500/9000 pretty well outpaces it, and similar for peak nits.

I'd love to meet an Q7 owner, or any Q would do! :rotfl:

I bought this tv (or Curry's version of it, the 7070) back in July and have been very pleased with it. I tinkered slightly with the settings when I brought it home, but the picture out of the box was really very good. Sky's F1 UHD picture is simply fantastic. I'd agree with the comment about viewing angles not being good, but as its generally only myself and partner who watch tv in the house, this isn't an issue. Mine also came in a package with a samsung 4K UHD blueray player...............and the metal one remote, and very nice it is too!

Last edited:
So is the KS7000 a better TV than this ?

Yes the KS7000 is better IMHO, funny thing is another American site reviewed the MU7000 and it had a few things the opposite of the review here ,ie poor local dimming, medicore colour gamut, I know its all subjective to your own experience, but personally I think I will be buying the Sony 49XE9005 which I think is the best buy in its price range. Samsungs seem overpriced on the MU range, another different site in the UK stated the same thing about MU pricing.

I would link the other MU7000 review site but not sure if we are allowed to do so?

Last edited:
How is this an '8' when its not even a UHD Premium specification and lacks the brightness and colour gamut of the 'Q' Series. I know Samsung have got their 'Pricing' wrong but the MU series is just the 'yearly' improved KU series from last year.

This doesn't even come close to last years KS7000 in terms of specs and HDR Performance for a 'similar' price. Spec wise it has more in common with last years KU series. If the Q are marked down for 'value' - which in all fairness they should be over last years KS pricing etc, then surely the MU series should too compared to last years KU series. The improvements over last years KU do not seem 'overly' significant - although I know a lot of KU series were little more than SDR TV's with the ability to receive and downgrade HDR to the 'SDR+' limits of the TV.

I appreciate that Gaming may well be 'good' but if people were looking for a TV to use with the PS4 or Xbox One S or X, for HDR10 performance, then buying these, whilst good for input lag, are poor for HDR. There are much better options available.

I really don't understand why non-UHD Premium TV's are rated as high as UHD Premium TV's. Surely the point of UHD Premium is to deliver at least the 'MINIMUM' standard of HDR. You wouldn't mark an SDR TV if it couldn't deliver the minimum standards for SDR as high as one that did. Of course it could still have some of the best motion, input lag etc but if the image is not up to the minimum standards expected, then it would NOT be marked as high as TV's that can - why is HDR an exception? I notice in reviews that you are also quick to point out lack of DV support yet happily let people think a TV like the MU is as good as a Q7 despite one being able to deliver the minimum HDR standards - one of the widest colour gamuts etc and the other, well lets just say its not much brighter than SDR in daytime settings.

As far as I am aware, all HDR will be HDR10 at the very least. I know that we are still a ways off from getting the optimal HDR10 colour volume but surely a TV that at least meets the minimum criteria should be more highly regarded. Of course I appreciate that HDR only equates to a small amount of content currently and SDR SD-HD-4k is important but I do think that people buying this will not be getting the minimum HDR10 experience and I can't see the Q7 (for example) being rated similarly to this as I am sure it handles SDR as well but also HDR10 much better too.

Yes the KS7000 is better IMHO, funny thing is another American site reviewed the MU7000 and it had a few things the opposite of the review here ,ie poor local dimming, medicore colour gamut, I know its all subjective to your own experience, but personally I think I will be buying the Sony 49XE9005 which I think is the best buy in its price range. Samsungs seem overpriced on the MU range, another different site in the UK stated the same thing about MU pricing.

I would link the other MU7000 review site but not sure if we are allowed to do so?

I agree that the Sony XE9005 is better. Samsung has definitely overpriced its 2017 models compared to last years range. Of all the LCD TV's that don't meet the minimum standards for UHD Premium certification (if Sony actually forwarded them for this), the XE9005 is also the closest and delivers a much better HDR experience. It makes up for that with FALD I guess.

Samsung use different (and confusing) model numbers for EU and North America. The American MU7000 is actually the equivalent of MU6400 here. I guess that perhaps explains why the American site's review was weaker than here.

We should be taking a look at the MU6400 in the near future.

Thanks Steve for a nice review. I was actually waiting for a comprehensive review of Samsung's MU range here before finally pulling the trigger on a Samsung MU6500 (curved variant of MU6400). For me the set is fine fore everyday usage as we don't utilize HDR at all for now, except that I think the upscaling of SD content could be a bit blurry at times. And I would very much like to hear your opinion about MU6400 when you have time to take a look. I know it certainly is worse than MU7000 and many other more premium sets, but given the huge price difference (back in August the 65'' MU6400/6500 was almost half price of the 65'' MU7000), maybe it is still a good buy for average users.

Yes the KS7000 is better IMHO, funny thing is another American site reviewed the MU7000 and it had a few things the opposite of the review here ,ie poor local dimming, medicore colour gamut, I know its all subjective to your own experience, but personally I think I will be buying the Sony 49XE9005 which I think is the best buy in its price range.
In the US the MU7000 is the equivalent of the MU6400 here and the MU7000 here is the same as the MU8000 in the US, which is really confusing.

So the pricing for the 7 series this year is similar to last years 7 series - but last year you got quantam dot and this year you don't. Surely they need to reduce the prices accordingly?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom