Samsung UE55H6400 or UE55JU6400

DaveT87

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my 8 year old 40inch Bravia to a 55inch and have narrowed it down to the above two models from Samsung. Price wise, with the current sales there is only a £50 difference between the two sets.

I mainly use the TV for SKY HD, Netflix, Kodi and a PS4.

The benefit of the UE55JU6400 is that it's 4k, however there seem to be a number of concerns with the upscaling which puts me off slightly.

Can anyone help me in making a decision on one of these please, or perhaps suggest a better alternative?

Thanks

I believe the H6400 is a better panel, so you'd have a better picture most of the time, as most of the time you won't have 4k input.

Also, how far do you sit from the screen? Is it close enough to benefit from the higher resolution?

Thanks for the reply. We're sat roughly 8 feet away from the TV, so would we notice much of a difference at that distance?

May be a stupid question but what currently can be viewed in 4k? For instance, my Sky HD, Blu Ray etc?

Only stuff like netflix which you can access on the tv, but its a pay monthly service at around £6-8 per month. Dont think sky do anything 4K yet.

If you can afford it id get the 4k model just so that your future proofing yourself, 4K content will be slowly rolling out over the next year i guess

EDITED to add, id recommend buying from RicherSounds if you have one near.

They have the JU6400 for £749 including a 6 year guarantee for free, most of the places on your list wouldnt offer that much guarantee for free, if any at all!.
SAMSUNG UE55JU6400 55 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV Freeview HD

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. We're sat roughly 8 feet away from the TV, so would we notice much of a difference at that distance?
There are graphs available (do a search) that show what resolution your eyes can notice for TV size and distance.

Only stuff like netflix which you can access on the tv, but its a pay monthly service at around £6-8 per month. Dont think sky do anything 4K yet.

If you can afford it id get the 4k model just so that your future proofing yourself, 4K content will be slowly rolling out over the next year i guess
I disagree about the future proofing, and also about what will be available in 4k. Sky isn't even 1080p yet, are they really going to jump to 4k? And the PS4 and Xbox One don't even do all games at 1080p, let alone do anything at 4k. If the H6400 is a better panel and looks better now, it will look better in the future too. |if it's not a better panel, sure, go for the 4k.

I'm in same boat 4k or none 4K.
Been advised as that there's none or little 4k about.
When 4K panels are up scaling SD they make a right mess of it, but HD to 4K? is ok (have I got that right), so basically get the best full HD panel you can afford at the min and worry about 4K in about 4 year??
Plus the H6400 I think has a swivel stand.
That's the info I've been given but part of me is contemplating going up a few series in the Sammy range from 6 to 7 or maybe 8 (would that make a difference apart from cost)

Is the UEH6400 the best full hd panel?

Its a very good point regarding the availability of 4k on Sky and the PS4. I've also read comments that the upscaling is not always great too, which puts me off slightly.

The other model ive just been looking at is the Panasonic TX55CX680. Its a 4k panel and so far very little bad to say about it.

Pricewise there is only about £200 difference from a FullHD to a 4k screen too

I'm in same boat 4k or none 4K.
Been advised as that there's none or little 4k about.
When 4K panels are up scaling SD they make a right mess of it, but HD to 4K? is ok (have I got that right), so basically get the best full HD panel you can afford at the min and worry about 4K in about 4 year??
Plus the H6400 I think has a swivel stand.
That's the info I've been given but part of me is contemplating going up a few series in the Sammy range from 6 to 7 or maybe 8 (would that make a difference apart from cost)

Is the UEH6400 the best full hd panel?
Not sure if its the best full HD panel but its one that has been very well regarded for that price range

Keep in mind that if you have two TVs at nearly the same price point, one of them Full HD and one of them 4K, then some corners were cut on the 4K model to compensate the higher cost of the panel and required electronics.

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my 8 year old 40inch Bravia to a 55inch and have narrowed it down to the above two models from Samsung. Price wise, with the current sales there is only a £50 difference between the two sets.

I mainly use the TV for SKY HD, Netflix, Kodi and a PS4.

The benefit of the UE55JU6400 is that it's 4k, however there seem to be a number of concerns with the upscaling which puts me off slightly.

Can anyone help me in making a decision on one of these please, or perhaps suggest a better alternative?

Thanks
Hi
The only issues with the ju6400 are,
~60hz panel with judder watching 24fps movies
~Has a basic remote
~Slightly pricey as it is a UHD panel

I don't believe upscaling is an issue.

If it was cheaper I would get the h6400, great remote, local dimming and great motion handling and smart features.
In the latest range the top of the line HD tv (j6200 or j6300) is about the same as the h6400, but only has a basic remote. I am currently very happy with my ju7000, but I'm not convinced of the price premium of UHD over HD models. UHD content is scarse and I have only found 3 clips were UHD really looks better than HD. I even got Samsungs UHD video pack, but the best clips I mentioned came off Vimeo.com. UDH Food and The Slow Life being the stand out clips.

Thanks all. I'm being swayed towards a panasonic CX680 now. Going to view one today. Anything I should be wary of? Reviews on them seem pretty good on here

I am thinking the H6400 now after reasearch, the J6400 seems hardly worth it with the negatives.

I am thinking the H6400 now after reasearch, the J6400 seems hardly worth it with the negatives.
You should also look into the J6200 (flat) / J6300 (curved) as they should have similar picture quality with the H6400. Although those are not 3D enabled, the panels that they use should have 120hz.

Personally I have the HU7500 4K TV and have Sky+HD, PS4 and XB1 all connected to it. Whilst none of this content is at 4K resolution, I do think the image is better than native 1080p because of the upscaling. Obviously the SD is not exactly providing a lot of information for the TV to use to upscale but I certainly think the majority of the time, the picture quality is superb and I do think the higher resolution sources (1080p in gaming) look incredible. Also with the pixel density (number of pixels per inch) being 4x as high as a 1080p set, any 'dead' pixels are going to be unnoticeable. Its not just the source to think about and lack of 4k currently but what that 4k panel can benefit now and potentially in the future. BT already offer 4k in its sports channel and I know Sky are expected to launch its 4K sky box (SkyQ) this year too.

I must admit I am tempted to buy the 48H6400 (around £500 with standard 1yr warranty) but also considering the Sony KDL50W807 the silver version (around £600 with 5yr warranty) or as an outside option, the LG 50LF652V (around £450 with 1yr warranty) - I would add extra 4yrs warranty to the 1yr options - bringing the price up to similar levels as a second/bedroom TV and for my gen 7 consoles but really don't know which is better suited to my needs - I started a thread on it here although no one as yet has commented on which one would be better and why.

I have seen the 48H6400 for £500 or the 48JU6400 for £600 - both with 6yr warranties but really don't know if I should spend the extra to get a 4K panel which could be better as it upscales, lower input lag for gaming and Tizen Smart TV features or the very highly rated 48H6400 that's lower res and has 3D (not needed though). Stand is not important as the set will be wall mounted and viewing angle is also no concern as I will be viewing directly in front...

Last edited:
Now various places are selling the 55h6400 which seems to be the better panel at £650 it seems a steal, I was in the same boat, 4k or not 4k and with what I have learned, 4k is a waste of time right now, while I admit I wont really use the 3d either, I rather have a better panel, so ordering the 55H6400 in 2 weeks.

Now various places are selling the 55h6400 which seems to be the better panel at £650 it seems a steal, I was in the same boat, 4k or not 4k and with what I have learned, 4k is a waste of time right now, while I admit I wont really use the 3d either, I rather have a better panel, so ordering the 55H6400 in 2 weeks.

Surely the 4K panel is technically better but the software running it and lighting (edge or back lit) may not be as good. Personally I have a 4K TV as my main TV - the 55" HU7500 and do not regret buying it at all. I don't have any 4K sources as I use Sky+HD as my TV and have both an XB1 and PS4 connected to it for gaming. The highest source is 1080p (few HD channels and some games) but I swear it looks better than a 1080p panel because it upscales sources. The fact that the pixel density is also 4x higher, means that any 'dead pixels', which can happen are unnoticeable unless you get right up close.

I must admit the 48H6400 that I have as my 2nd set is certainly a great TV and meets my needs and then some for a 2nd set - I don't need 3D either - I certainly don't regret buying my 4K set and certainly don't see it as a waste. I know there is very little 4K sources at this moment but Sky are expected to bring out SkyQ this year and I can see an increase in 4k. The price of these sets have dropped significantly - the 48"JU6400 for example can be bought for £600 - just £100 more than the 48H6400 and to me 4K is better than 3D.

Surely the 4K panel is technically better but the software running it and lighting (edge or back lit) may not be as good. Personally I have a 4K TV as my main TV - the 55" HU7500 and do not regret buying it at all. I don't have any 4K sources as I use Sky+HD as my TV and have both an XB1 and PS4 connected to it for gaming. The highest source is 1080p (few HD channels and some games) but I swear it looks better than a 1080p panel because it upscales sources. The fact that the pixel density is also 4x higher, means that any 'dead pixels', which can happen are unnoticeable unless you get right up close.

I must admit the 48H6400 that I have as my 2nd set is certainly a great TV and meets my needs and then some for a 2nd set - I don't need 3D either - I certainly don't regret buying my 4K set and certainly don't see it as a waste. I know there is very little 4K sources at this moment but Sky are expected to bring out SkyQ this year and I can see an increase in 4k. The price of these sets have dropped significantly - the 48"JU6400 for example can be bought for £600 - just £100 more than the 48H6400 and to me 4K is better than 3D.
It's not really about 3d, it's about motion resolution and picture quality. The H6400 and the J6200 have 120hz panels. All the JU6*** sets have 60hz panels.
As an interesting side note, one guy over at the sammy go forums, swapped the main board from his JU6400 with a JU6500 one to get 4:4:4 chroma support.

I'm also looking into the Panasonic 50CX700.

It's not really about 3d, it's about motion resolution and picture quality. The H6400 and the J6200 have 120hz panels. All the JU6*** sets have 60hz panels.
As an interesting side note, one guy over at the sammy go forums, swapped the main board from his JU6400 with a JU6500 one to get 4:4:4 chroma support.

So you are saying the JU6 series have a poorer refresh rate panel? Is that not down to the software though? Surely a 4K panel is technically superior but the software and lighting of that panel is what can separate that from being a great or mediocre panel.

I know you say the JU6 series has a poorer refresh rate but according to Leo Bodnar tests its also one of the highest performing Samsung TV's for gaming with around half the input Lag of the H6400 and a third of the HU7500 - according to reviews - although I have no way to test these myself.

I personally have both a 55HU7500 and a 48H6400 so can't really comment on the JU6400 and its 'qualities'. I know its classified as an entry level TV for 4K. 3D (as both my sets have) may require better software to utilise but wouldn't the actual panel be the same - either 4K for 4k sets (like the JU6400, HU7500 etc) or the 1080p screens in H6400 and similar non-3D sets.

As Samsungs seem to have the same picture management system - obviously with a few differences depending on whether they are 3D or not and price point (more expensive models have local dimming) but the core picture management is the same - which leads me to believe the main difference is in the software and related electronic components behind the screen.

There are a LOT of similarities between various levels of Samsung TV's - regardless of 3D or 4K. I can easily see Samsung using the same 4K panel in all their 4K TV's but the difference is in the electronics, lighting system (direct or edge) and software driving those panels. All seem to have the same core software and depending on the additional features, that related 'software' added on top.

So you are saying the JU6 series have a poorer refresh rate panel? Is that not down to the software though? Surely a 4K panel is technically superior but the software and lighting of that panel is what can separate that from being a great or mediocre panel.

I know you say the JU6 series has a poorer refresh rate but according to Leo Bodnar tests its also one of the highest performing Samsung TV's for gaming with around half the input Lag of the H6400 and a third of the HU7500 - according to reviews - although I have no way to test these myself.

I personally have both a 55HU7500 and a 48H6400 so can't really comment on the JU6400 and its 'qualities'. I know its classified as an entry level TV for 4K. 3D (as both my sets have) may require better software to utilise but wouldn't the actual panel be the same - either 4K for 4k sets (like the JU6400, HU7500 etc) or the 1080p screens in H6400 and similar non-3D sets.

As Samsungs seem to have the same picture management system - obviously with a few differences depending on whether they are 3D or not and price point (more expensive models have local dimming) but the core picture management is the same - which leads me to believe the main difference is in the software and related electronic components behind the screen.

There are a LOT of similarities between various levels of Samsung TV's - regardless of 3D or 4K. I can easily see Samsung using the same 4K panel in all their 4K TV's but the difference is in the electronics, lighting system (direct or edge) and software driving those panels. All seem to have the same core software and depending on the additional features, that related 'software' added on top.

1. The refresh rate of the panel is not a software thing, although some computer displays can be 'overclocked' to a higher refresh rate. Here you can read more about the panels used in the
Samsung J (2015) lineup.

2. Input lag is just a delay between when a frame is generated and when it starts showing on the display. It is only relevant for interactive content, mostly fast paced games. I'm not really concerned about this.

3. The response time is the speed at which a pixel transitions from the color of the old frame to the color of the new frame. It is a trait of the panel and the drive circuitry (not image processing).

4. Motion handling and motion blur are determined by the whole package, not only the panel. Please read here before continuing with my post. mdrejhon seems to know what he's talking about, but a few things are not really clear to me.
Considering a sample and hold display like the LCD is (you display an image and keep it there for one frame time), the most intuitive way to make it more 'real-life' is to increase the refresh rate and, very important, display video filmed at that rate (see the example with the panning scene over at hardforum). Apparently you would need close to 1000hz before the point of diminishing returns. The frame time would be 1ms and your brain wouldn't need to do any kind of interpolation. Unfortunately we can't make panels that fast and must find some workarounds.
The problem with 60hz LCDs is that it ends up displaying a static image for 1s/60 = 16.67ms and then it goes to the next image. This very high frame time is perceived as motion blur by our visual system as it cannot interpolate well between the frames. The magic, from what I gather, is that you can trick it into interpolating very well if the static images are shown for a smaller amount of time, much smaller than the frame time. So, you show the image for 1ms and go dark for the rest of the frame (15ms). This is similar to the way a CRT works, except that a CRT scans the screen so the interval for each pixel is lit has an offset. It would also behave as a CRT and have apparent flicker at 60hz so you have to go 120hz. At 120hz one simple way to improve on things if you have a 60fps video is to do black frame insertion and black out every each other frame. To go beyond this you have to use a scanning backlight (like this) which is more like a CRT.

Hopefully I didn't mess this up entirely and if I did, I guess someone will correct me.

Lol what? All he had to do was put his PC hdmi lead into hdmi port 1, rename function to PC, enable uhd colour and restart the TV. UHD colour mode is only available on port 1.

Be careful that the hdmi cable is of a good enough spec, i have the right cable but had an extension of poorer quality attached to it which meant that the full chroma signal wasnt be carried, tv said no signal was being received, switched off UHD colour and the signal was back again, only at 4:2:0.

Removed the extension and tried again and it worked, full chroma. Had to turn my PC case around for the cable to reach without the extension but at least i got the result i wanted.

Have my 2nd GTX 980 arriving tomorrow but forgot about an SLI bridge :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom