Samsung UE55F6740 or Panny L55DT65B or wait for sony 55w829?

GregHill3

Standard Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in a different post, I need a new TV pretty pronto, and am considering the above, hopefully from JL. Spoke to my local Richer Sounds and it seems that the 55 inch sony will be out in the next couple of weeks, so should I wait or choose between the two I can get now?

I will also need to put the TV onto a black swivelling table stand, just wondering if anybody knows of one? I had an online chat with a sony support member who told me that the W829 was VESA compatible, contrary to what I have read, anybody confirm this?

As mentioned in a different post, I need a new TV pretty pronto, and am considering the above, hopefully from JL. Spoke to my local Richer Sounds and it seems that the 55 inch sony will be out in the next couple of weeks, so should I wait or choose between the two I can get now?

I will also need to put the TV onto a black swivelling table stand, just wondering if anybody knows of one? I had an online chat with a sony support member who told me that the W829 was VESA compatible, contrary to what I have read, anybody confirm this?
Hi mate, you don't list what is important to you viewing wise ? Whether your a gamer at all. The two available now are last years models, both different beasts, one is passive, the other active in the 3d department. The panasonic is using an ips panel which will suffer with black levels especially in a dimly lit room, so if you watch movies at night, the blacks will look a bit washed out and grey. The samsung 6740 you mention is a lot of screen for the money, active 3d, does black really well for an LED. There have been a few issues with motion, there is forced motion interpolation in 3d mode which cannot be turned off even though it says it's off, might not be a deal breaker for you but it is something to consider for those that don't like the soap opera effect. It has also been reported that there is a flicker issue using the inbuilt tuner on hd channels that can only be corrected using the natural picture preset, which isn't very natural,lol. It seems to be firmware issues really that haven't been solved by samsung, whether they eventually do or not is another thing. I suggest you check the 6740 thread on here and have a read yourself as your not buying a budget tv. I will give you a few links to reviews, may be for different sizes but the features should be roughly the same.

Panasonic TX-L42DT65B (DT65/ DT60) Review

samsung UE**F6670 - UE**F6740 owners thread. | AVForums

There is very little info at the moment regarding the 55w829 although if it is anything like the 50 it has received good reviews and there seems to be a lot of happy owners over on the forums. I think they are roughly all around the same price although the two older models are reduced from what they first retailed at, I would hold on for the sony first before you decide, see one for yourself or wait for someone to report back on one on here, seems to be a few interested in it. Sometimes it better to be patient so you don't regret buying something, only to find out a week or two later a newer model would of been more to your needs. Just wondered why you hadn't considered the 55w905 ? In the same price bracket, same size and even though it's a 2013 model too it is also a lot of tv for the money.

Last edited:
Thanks megadeath, I'm not a gamer and not interested in 3d at all, just want the best screen for the money to replace my broken le8900. I have had a look for the 905 but can't seem to find a new one apart from currys and I don't want to get one from there. Really want the TV for bball, footie for my boys and films with good hd performance.

Thanks megadeath, I'm not a gamer and not interested in 3d at all, just want the best screen for the money to replace my broken le8900. I have had a look for the 905 but can't seem to find a new one apart from currys and I don't want to get one from there. Really want the TV for bball, footie for my boys and films with good hd performance.
There is a guy got one for sale on the classifieds, 2 months old, mint, he's bought an ultra hd tv I think, could be worth a look if it's near to you ? Still has nearly 5 year guarantee with it. You could ask on the 905 thread too if anyone knows of any stock, I though sony were still making them until June, could be wrong though. If your a movie fan I'd rule out the dt65 unless you have a fairly bright room, for me personally, the blacks are one of the things I look at when buying a tv. If 3d and gaming are not the priority then the samsung might do, the only thing I struggle with is samsung firmware fixes causing new issues. Have a good read of the 6740 thread, you may also consider the 55f7000 which is better, that can be had now for about the 1300 mark, think amazon had some just over that, again a lot of tv for the money, again in short supply. Oh, I have just looked at your older model, the le8900 you just mentioned, that was using an ips panel although it did have localised dimming, you were obviously quite happy with it ? If that's the case then the dt65 might be one to consider as that too features local dimming, although it doesn't look like its as well implemented from reading a couple of reviews.

Last edited:
I thought all the panasonic TVs were edge lit, my broken 8900 was full backlit, I was really happy with that, would like a similar performing tv, it was really good with motion as well, quite annoyed it has broke really. Still I can get a slightly bigger set when I sort out what to go for.

I thought all the panasonic TVs were edge lit, my broken 8900 was full backlit, I was really happy with that, would like a similar performing tv, it was really good with motion as well, quite annoyed it has broke really. Still I can get a slightly bigger set when I sort out what to go for.
It is edge lit but it does feature dimming, as I mentioned it's not as well implemented as your old lg. This might explain it a bit to you,

The DT65's picture quality is good, but not class-leading. HD looks crisp and the viewing-angle, as you might expect of IPS glass, is very accommodating. However, the set doesn’t offer pure, dark blacks, although it does go acceptably noirish while retaining detail in the shadows, thanks largely to 16-zone local dimming. Colour performance is fine, although reds have a tendency to veer towards orange. The screen features Panasonic’s new Hexa engine, essentially a suite of six different technologies applying colour correction, noise reduction and text-smoothing to both high-definition and standard sources.

Your old tv had full array using 240 backlights with the local dimming, that should give more precise control over the entire screen area rather than the implementation that panasonic use. Your lg cannot be repaired ? I think the Sony when released will be worth a good look at, all depends if you need a new one urgently.

Last edited:
HAd a TV repair guy take it apart and look at it, he said the main board had gone along with another board, and reckoned about £300 to repair. He followed that up with the IPS panel would probably fail after about 4 years and he would not feel right if he repaired it for that money and the screen went in a few months, so he said it was not economical to repair it. Went to JL today to view the W8 but they did not have it, think I will try my nearest Richer Sounds if I get the time, and maybe get a second opinion on my broken set.

Thanks for the replies

HAd a TV repair guy take it apart and look at it, he said the main board had gone along with another board, and reckoned about £300 to repair. He followed that up with the IPS panel would probably fail after about 4 years and he would not feel right if he repaired it for that money and the screen went in a few months, so he said it was not economical to repair it. Went to JL today to view the W8 but they did not have it, think I will try my nearest Richer Sounds if I get the time, and maybe get a second opinion on my broken set.

Thanks for the replies
It's a shame about your old tv, wasn't cheap either so I would of expected it to last more than 4 years, I know it would be a lot of hassle for you but you could contact LG and see what they say, the sale of goods act can cover you for up to 6 years on large, expensive items although the customer has to prove there was a defect after a certain amount of time, where he gets the notion that the panel should fail after 4 years I don't know, they supposedly have a life span of about 100,000 hours which equates to an awful lot of watching, although they are expected to drop brightness within that time. Main boards tend to be the common issue, samsung had some issues with capacitors failing after the guarantee period. I would get a second opinion, if not, as you've already mentioned, go and view the w8, not long until the 55 is out either, remember though that your lg is passive 3d, I know you said it wasn't important, the sony 50 and 55 w8 are active. What ever you decide Greg, all the best and good luck with your purchase. :)

Now I am interested in the Samsung EU55HU6900 as that's not much more than the 55" W829, anybody have one yet?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom