Samsung UE55ES8000 or Sony KDL-55HX853 ?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by swayzak, Sep 4, 2012.

1. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have sporadically thought of upgrade my Panasonic TX-37LZD800 to a nice shiny new toy, and have been following LCD/LED developments.

Last year I was tempted by the flagship Samsung 55", but put off a bit by issues such as clouding (not something I've ever noticed on the Panny).

Another year passes & my interest has grown again.

The new Samsung has garnered similar praise this year, but again with some reservations. Apart from clouding, the presence of only 3 HDMIs & no decent analogue audio out makes me hesitate.

However the Sony KDL55HX853 appears to get very positive reviews, and is now about 500 squid cheaper than the Samsung

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL55H...S7PQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346761694&sr=8-1

It appears to have good pic (I'm only really interested in 2D), 4 HDMIs and (I think) an analogue audio out ? So I'm seriously tempted - might pop into JL to see if they have a demo model out.

Unfortunately my current TV stand is only 95cm wide, so would need to factor a new stand in to the equation.

Anyone got thoughts on this Sammy vs Sony dilemma ?

Also, are there any good 2D only LEDs out there ? ie. where manufacture has put all money/efforts into the best possible 2D screen, rather than diluting this with having to cater for 3D as well

Thanks

swayzak

2. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    <<< Thread moved >>>

3. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ooops - yep sorry about that. was going to repost in correct forum but thought I'd wait until it got moved :)

Has anyone wrestled with this (or similar) dilemma ?

4. Jonesy76

Jonesy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just sold my old 50" plasma and after a lot of searching, and staring at screens I settled for the 55" Sony HX853.

The Samsung is very nice, but quite plasticky for such an expensive tv, and the colour is a bit OTT even after a spot of tinkering with the actual Samsung guy in John Lewis.

The picture quality on the Sony is just phenomenal, but it is still 3D. By the look of things in my search there is no such thing as a 2D only LED LCD nowadays, at least if you're looking at the top end of things.
    The Sony is also a very good looking bit of kit.

5. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks

After much deliberation & research, and a quick visit to JL, I went for the Sony (arrives tomorrow) !

However, JL's prices had all gone up the day I visited so I bought mine from Amazon (still £1438), along with a wide, low TV stand !

Even in JL the Sony pic looked better, more natural.

My remaining concern is the high reflectivity of the screen, fixed 6 degree viewing angle & the lighting in my lounge (I can't wall mount this TV) - will there be bad reflections of lights when watching in evening ?

6. silus

silus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi.
    I am considering this TV, does the set have a Netflix app? And will it stream MKVs?

thanks

7. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    I'm also considering this set and would be interested in whether it has love film.