• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung UE55ES7000 PIP "this function isn't available"

itm

I've just bought a UE55ES7000 and am trying to use the Picture-in-Picture function. When I select it from the System menu it says "This function isn't available".
The TV is showing the TV source at the time.
I know that this function can't be used when Smarthub is active - it isn't.
Can anyone suggest why this function isn't available?

plaxy

Standard Member
On my Samsung model (ES5500), you can use PIP by changing the main source to some external device (DVD player, PVR etc), and then press the Menu key on the TV remote and PIP should be available. You can turn it on (Menu, System) and say what source you want for the smaller picture.

So, for instance, you could be watching a DVD as your main picture and have Sky News as the little picture, if say you're keeping an eye on news or sports results.

And you should be able to use it while you're in SmartHub. SmartHub is the main picture, and the little picture is whatever you were watching when you pressed the SmartHub key.

Might be different on yours.

mf9

Remember the Samsung ES TV's only have 1 tuner, so you need to be on one of the HDMI sources to use it. E.g your Cable or Sky box is on HDMI 1, then select Tools -> PIP -> On. If your just on the TV's own channels though, you don't get the option to use it.

itm

I understood the 1 tuner constraint but couldn't understand why, while watching the TV tuner, I shouldn't be allowed to select PIP for an HDMI source?
In any case it works the other way around, as plaxy suggested, so I have it working now.
Many thanks

plaxy

Standard Member
I understood the 1 tuner constraint but couldn't understand why, while watching the TV tuner, I shouldn't be allowed to select PIP for an HDMI source?

As far as I've seen, the device with the PIP software, be it the TV or a STB or what have you, can only PIP the picture coming through its own tuner. It doesn't have access to a stream that's coming through some external device such as a STB.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom