Samsung UE55D8000 has died 16months in - John Lewis Warranty :(

Feverdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought, around Dec, 2011 a Samsung UE55D8000.

Just been sat watching it and this past hour it just cut out, and the power light was flashing on and off with it making clicking noises like it was turning on and off.

At first I thought one of the kids was sat on the remote, so after shouting at them first, then discovered was none of them. Seems after googling the issue, it could be a bad capacitor issue common in samsung tvs :(

Soooo...tomorrow I'm going to have to go through the rigmarole of contacting JL and arranging for some time around work that it can be collected etc.

While I would like it fixing, I don't know if its likely an easy fix for the engingineers, and the worrier in me is worried, that if it can't be fixed....to what poor alternative I may be offered

At the time I bought it, it was selling for £2000 on their site, though got them to price match at approx £1700.

It was the Silver bezelled D8000 series model, all the mod cons for the time, and edge lit and so on...so was the 'top of the line' of their range.....and I see that now on their site, the current one is an F8000 model....however that one is £2500...but with useless features like Voice Control and such

has anyone had experience of their TV failing with higher end models under the JL warranty to if offered a reasonable alternative. And is it reasonable enough for me to expect a Samsung replacement at least the same spec replacement (ie 800hz clearmotion and features whereas a lesser one may be 400 for example)...and of course edge lit led?

I'm going to have to study the possible Samsung alternatives that are available just in case it can't be fixed, so I can't be fobbed off with a much lower spec more basic version. :(

Sad times, and no TV ahead for me :(

Do JL offer a loan TV whilst awaiting replacement repair too by any chance? Typically their CS are closed now when it goes wrong.

Cheers

just as I'm comparing specs to what is current as an alternative 'equivalent', I see that so far the specs of the ones lower than the F7000 model do not offer an "Ultra Clear Panel" as the D8000 did....On current inspection it looks like the F7000 model is more similar in spec realistically than the F8000 is (though only basing that on clearmotion specs etc so far)

Don't jump to far ahead just yet , JL will arrange for a sub contractor to fix it and at this age parts will still be available .
I would think that within a couple of weeks you will have it back again fully sorted out -- sorry you probably won't be able to use this as excuse to get a new TV LOL

thanks redaprilia.

Truth be told I don't actually want a new tv lol.....seems far more stress than its worth trying to get like for like when the price itself has shot up significantly for similar current models.

I'm just a born worrier when it comes to having a potential battle on my hands of giving me an inferior set as loved this TV. I'm hoping they can fix it (so long as they don't scratch my screen in the process!!).

Of course, if they wanted to swap it with an F8000 model I'd be cool with that lol....but got no chance at that.....could be costly though if it won't be fixed, and then they tell me to pick an alternative TV available based on the price I paid (around 1700 after the price match)

Do we get a loan TV whilst it is out for repair do you know?

Guess I'm not watching any 3d movies for a while(!)

Just curious - why do you think edge lit is a good thing? This enabled manufacturers to make thin TVs cheaply, but it's not the best technology.

Well....I kind of realised its issues with corners etc after got it, which can sometimes be a little frustrating...and I can't stand Plasmas, as the horizontal line bleeding/banding (like when credits are scrolling on a picture or moving background) sticks out a mile for my eyes. But of course, part of a premium on this set was paid for the style of the set, with its lovely design (IMO), and having next to no borders also gives impression of extra size.

I guess, if worst came to worst will have to assess situation depending on alternatives they offer based on the approximate price they offer me, but would feel like a little bit of a stepdown if moved away from the Samsung one and its style (especially at the original price I paid vs the current price)

Time to sort myself out, then give JL a buzz and arrange for them to hopefully fix it

Time to get yourself a budget projector to use while your TV is away for repairs methinks!:devil:

Yeah.....wouldn't touch currys/comet with a bargepole after had an arguement with manager at one of them on behalf of a mate with a broken 3ds that was 5 weeks old.

Spoke with them. A local company (Martin Dawes I think it was called) will be coming out Tuesday afternoon to take a look at it and try to fix.

4 Weeks they're allowed to fix it.

Wonder if I'll get a replacement TV in the meantime. Worst case I can take a 32" one from the bedroom to see us through.

I saw the ES7000 model listed, which will be closer in spec....though its currently out of stock......hopefully the 3rd party company are decent and I don't receive a fixed but scratched to bits tv after it all

Take photos of the TV before they take it...

They may be able to source an ES7000 from a store (different stocks to the website) or from the supplier

Cheers,

Yeah I'll definitely have to do that with plenty of shots......after all the shouting I've done at the kids if their hands go anywhere near the tv to keep it blemish/smudge free, will be gutted if end up with some massive scratch running along it

Cheers,

Yeah I'll definitely have to do that with plenty of shots......after all the shouting I've done at the kids if their hands go anywhere near the tv to keep it blemish/smudge free, will be gutted if end up with some massive scratch running along it

I know what you're saying about shouting at the kids touching the screen, lol. My kids keep touching the screen on my ES8000 and it's driving up the wall.

doh - just typed a load but had the old 'token expired' message after and lost it all :(

Anyways, to cut long story short (this time)...they came out on Tuesday afternoon......opened it up here, and swapped out the power board....so its all working again yay

Only possible concern is that (info from my parents who came to the house to mind it whilst they came) that they brought a different revision of the board, which looked quite a bit different, then had to call someone (presumably Samsung) to check it would work, then swapped it....Rev B and C I think....but my mother seems to think it might have been the older revision number put in in its place, which makes me wonder if theres different issues with the previous older board that might crop up again soon, or if sure it will not cause issues further down the line....

but for now...it works great :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom