samsung UE55B7020 "NON" cinematic experience :(

mushtak2917

Novice Member
hello people.... just got delivery of my new samsung UE55B7020 last night, hung it on the wall with the samsung ultra thin wall mount. it looks really nice. now the problems :( ...........

i currently do "not" have any HD devices attached to the set or in my house for that matter!.... i know these sets are predominantly designed to show their true potential from an HD source. but as i said "currently" i do not have any hd sources. i have connected the virgin cable box to the set via the scart adapter. and the picture quality especially on watching movies is absolutely crap to say the least :(
the quality is "absolutely lifeless" and just doesn't have that lovely cinematic sunny shiney look/feel...it's like your watching a serial episode of east enders and no matter what amount of adjustments on the menus i do improves this picture quality..... connecting my usb dongle to access the media content is also the same on movies... so what is wrong?

also even i have the clouding on the screen problem which has been covered on a different thread. i contacted samsung and honestly i have never experienced such unprofessional people. they really dont have a clue. they are not technically minded at all and the only advice they were able to give was limited to picture adjustment on the menu screen!!

pls help... and pls no comments on the fact that i should be using an HD source!! as paying 2 1/2 grand for a tv that can't play half decent movie quality even on a scart connection on such an expensive screen isn't worth the money, and in which case samsung shouldn't supply a scart option even!... thank u and i hope i can get a reply :)

daley30

Novice Member
Hi, viewing sd content on a 55" screen is never going to produce stunning results. even on my 40" sometimes the image can look a little ropey depending on what channel i'm watching. You say that you have no HD sources YET, what are you planning for the future? BLURAY, PS3, SKY HD even? I think once you have a HD source youre opinion will change dramatically, as for the cloudy screen you can always exchange the set.
Cheers.

boxrick

My normal DVDs look pretty damn impressive on my 50" Pio.

Try looking for "recommended" settings, try setting cinema or movie mode if available.

What sort of DVD player are you using, and what sort of settings?
You also have to bare in mind that the Samsung LED screens give a very bright and garish picture out of the box.

mushtak2917

Novice Member
first reply to daley 30....... i am planning to get a blue ray player and also a ps3 in the future but wot about now :( u mentioned exchanging the set!.... well if u have a look on a previous thread alot of people are complaining about this clouding effect and so wots to say that i won't get another set exactly the same :mad:

boxrick i have tried all the settings on the set but it really is crap!..... my other 2 lcd samsungs (46" and 37")are exactly the same and i think i really am a nut on sticking with samsung!.... but even when i was doing my research the samsung led was all a rage!... and looking at sony; i kept being told that sony has samsung tubes in them anyway! so thats why i decided to bite the bullet a third time and purchased this new led set!.... well dissapointed:mad: .samsung have arranged a local engineer to come round next week friday to have a look at the set. if its still not fixed i really am considering a refund from john lewis.

YellowSphere

Novice Member
The current range of Samsungs have excellent standard definition processing. In other words, its performance for standard definition should be good.

First question to ask is, given what you've said, are you looking straight at the screen, or is it mounted above eye level?

titanIQ

Novice Member
I have the 46" version and I use the standard freeview through the tv's own processor for all my viewing bar movies which are blu-ray or hi-def download.

I am often amazed at the quality of some of the freeview stuff, the tv's processors do an outstanding job on the higher bit-rate channels.

Have you tried going through the tv's tuners i.e. taking the Vbox out of the equation by sticking the arial cable (if you have one) into the tv?

I would suggest that it is the Virgin device forcing its resolution on your tv, rather than allowing the tv to do the work itself.

Try playing with the resolution settings on the vbox.

With regards the tv settings, you'll need to do more than change whether it is in 'Movie', 'Standard', 'Dynamic' etc to get the best out of it and randomly playing with the various settings will drive you nuts.

I know a few have put their settings on here, look for those, but ultimately these settings will do nothing if you're feeding your tv absolute rubbish!!

Best of luck.

glesgaguyav

Novice Member
I have the Samsung B650 an find that the PQ is far better when used through the internal digital tuners and HDMI of course, it doesn't seem to handle the processing as well through RGB sources, this could be down to the RGB source signal and the way the TV handles it IMO

Nellples

Standard Member
mushtak2917,

I have exactly the same issue when watching SD via BT Vision Box on my UE46B6000 where everything looks like watching an episode of East Enders as you mentioned.

Did you find anything else out on this at all?

Thanks, Nellples

C227

Standard Member
Mushtak,

you used exactly the same example as myself - everything looks like Eastenders.

This is not a problem with your Samsung. It's just the way LCD's and LED's do things.

To get rid of this effect you need to turn down (or off) the smoothing which will give you a more cinematic experience.

Sounds like you'll be much happier with a Plasma screen. That's what I did.

mushtak2917

Novice Member
hello everybody...... boy so many responses.. who to answer first?..... here goes.....

yellow sphere..... i know that these sets are supposed to have a very good standard definition as part of their features, but even that is pants to the eyes :mad:..... and yes i have mounted the set in a very strict manner i.e that when i am sat on my sofa the line of sight of my set is directly in the middle of my picture... i made sure to get this measurement as accurate as possible (even though it isn't that crucial as it used to be with rear projection tv's!).

titan IQ..... no i don't have an aerial plugged into the set as i was thinking of feeding the cable down side of the house but it's just been really misrable weather at the moment.... besides the signal i'm assuming couldn't be that better as it is an RF signal at most and even the digital processor within the set will struggle as compared to the RGB output from the virgin box (or am i wrong?).
there aren't that many settings for resolution on the virgin box!

cc27..... which smooth setting on this particular box are u refering to?

YellowSphere

Novice Member
If you want to get the best that you can out of standard definition (or anything, for that matter) you're best off turning a lot of the processing in your television off.

Make sure that the backlight setting is set as low as you feel is sufficiently bright enough for your environment. Set sharpness to zero and turn off all noise reduction. Set brightness around the 50 mark (not above 60) and don't be excessive with contrast. Set them up with a THX optimizer or similar if possible. I'd recommend also using movie mode.

Also, check your 100Hz settings, as they'll affect the motion in a way that might lessen your enjoyment of film-based images. Try watching with that off also.

mike7

Distinguished Member
hello everybody...... boy so many responses.. who to answer first?..... here goes.....

yellow sphere..... i know that these sets are supposed to have a very good standard definition as part of their features, but even that is pants to the eyes :mad:..... and yes i have mounted the set in a very strict manner i.e that when i am sat on my sofa the line of sight of my set is directly in the middle of my picture... i made sure to get this measurement as accurate as possible (even though it isn't that crucial as it used to be with rear projection tv's!).

titan IQ..... no i don't have an aerial plugged into the set as i was thinking of feeding the cable down side of the house but it's just been really misrable weather at the moment.... besides the signal i'm assuming couldn't be that better as it is an RF signal at most and even the digital processor within the set will struggle as compared to the RGB output from the virgin box (or am i wrong?).
there aren't that many settings for resolution on the virgin box!

cc27..... which smooth setting on this particular box are u refering to?
As you are already a Virgin Media customer I would suggest that you upgrade to a V+ box. Apart from the advantages of recording 2 channels whilst watching another you will, at least, get some HD via a HDMI lead to your TV. The V+ boxes are remarkably good at upscaleing SD channels to something much better.

OK it's not real HD but on many channels it is often as good as some 'so-called' HD. Worth the investment to make you feel better about your TV.

Many people fall into this trap. They see a monster size screen in a shop running a HD picture and then are disappointed when they watch SD at home. Let's face it most of us are still watching a lot in SD because we have no choice. Obviously the size of the room has a lot to do with how your set appears. You need to be quite a distance away from a 55" screen to get a comfortable looking picture. Until the definition of screens goes higher than 1080p I believe all big screens struggle a bit.

Last edited:

AntiEverything

Standard Member
You seem to be complaining that the picture is too good or am I missing something?

Film sets are just like the eastenders set just more expense is taken on the set.

Now if you want a smoother (less realistic) picture then you can turn down the processor settings

mushtak2917

Novice Member
yellow sphere..... tried the settings u have mentioned but unfortunately still not impressed with the picture quality :mad:

mike 7..... when i sampled this tv (on many occasions) i was quite aware that i was viewing HD content i just didn't expect the picture quality to be that apparently different between the two i.e HD and SD. i am thinking of purchasing a starview HD box and seeing the quality on that. at the moment only a handful of channels on virgin are actually availabe as true HD anyway :mad: wot i would like to know though is will the picture on the sd channels through this starview hd box be upscaled enough to be half decent?

Last edited:

john316

wot i would like to know though is will the picture on the sd channels through this starview hd box be upscaled enough to be half decent?
Your TV is upscaling anyway so if you think SD looks garbage at the moment, viewing them via a HD box is likely to be of little difference. 55" is just too big for a regular living room if you're watching a lot of SD material. Unless you can sit a fair way away then you just have to put up with it. Doesn't really matter what brand you buy either - its just difficult to hide SD issues at that size!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom