• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Samsung UE50JU6800 - Now What!

Cueball81

Novice Member
Hi,

Hoping for some help, bought my Samsung UE50JU6800 a year ago and the picture has been great i would even go as far as saying better than some of my friends TV's with HDR. My TV broke and came back in even a worse state than it went in to be fixed (curry's cover) they have wrote it off and offered me £699 I think I can get it to at least £800. I can find may be £200-250 max. What tv do I get, looked at THE LG 850V but think my picture was better. So now I'm stuck and dont know what to get. I don't mind a 2016 model and would prefer 55" if possible. Any ideas, also looked at curved, I sit dead bang in the middle of TV about 3m away in a fairly dark room. Any advice would be so much appreciated. Thanks

Dodgexander

Try and make the jump to the Samsung KS7000/KS7500 if you can as that will be a massive step up in quality. Especially if you want decent HDR. There is also the Sony XE90 or KS8000/KS9000 but that may be out of budget.

If you don't mind about having decent HDR then TVs like the Panasonic DX-750, EX-750, DX-802, Sony XE85 and even the Hisense M7000 will give you a jump in quality.

The LG LCDs use inferior contrast panels, likely they have worse contrast than your current TV even. They are not a good choice unless you need wide viewing angles.

Cueball81

Novice Member
Try and make the jump to the Samsung KS7000/KS7500 if you can as that will be a massive step up in quality. Especially if you want decent HDR. There is also the Sony XE90 or KS8000/KS9000 but that may be out of budget.

If you don't mind about having decent HDR then TVs like the Panasonic DX-750, EX-750, DX-802, Sony XE85 and even the Hisense M7000 will give you a jump in quality.

The LG LCDs use inferior contrast panels, likely they have worse contrast than your current TV even. They are not a good choice unless you need wide viewing angles.
Thank you for the advise, only just see this and bought the worst one lol. Just got the LG 55UH850V for £600 and LG HS8 4.1 Wireless Curved Sound Bar for £135 extra as good will gesture. Will set it up and keep fingers crossed :/

Dodgexander

There are plus sides to the LGs, the smart tv is great, the viewing angles are good and they also support dolby vision. Most owners are happy with them. Its just with reviews and comparing to them in most areas to other options they come out worse. I am sure if you aren't happy you can arrange a return!

Cueball81

Novice Member
Yea I guess, I wanted the Samsung 7000 or 7500 but no stock and could only get from Curry's due to insurance cover. I only paid £680 for my 680 just over a year ago and I reckon I have about £1600 worth of kit with TV, Soundbar plus gave me a few free cables the one marked at £99 lol but worth £5 plus got a bonus and have a voucher for £275 still left. I wonder how much I could sell the LG for no.

Cueball81

Novice Member
After setting up it feels really grey on all the blacks and just high contrast guess I need to find some good settings for it

Cueball81

Novice Member
Ok so I have 14 days to return, with a budget of about £1000 that has to be used in store at curry's what's the best 4k HDR TV I can get? PLEASE HELP ME :)

Dodgexander

The grey in blacks is caused by the use of its panel type. It uses an IPS panel which lets through a lot more light vs VA type panels found on different tv's.

Its a problem buying now at that price range. The king of value was the Samsung KS7000/7500 and they have limited availability now. Even the next models in value such as the Sony XD93 and Samsung KS8000/9000 are hard to find. I had a quick look on Currys and all the models that fit your criteria are pretty poor value compared.

For example, 1k could usually buy you a KS7000/7500 which is a decent mid range HDR TV. For the price nothing came close. Probably the nearest I can see in value is the Panasonic DX-750 and 802, although those tv's don't have as good HDR as the Samsung KS series they do have 3D and the 802 has a sound bar built in. They are over 1100 right now though.

It seems the limited availability and new tv's being more expensive seems to have pushed up prices, at least at currys.

The next tv that comes near the KS7000 in terms of HDR at currys looks like the Sony XE90 and that is very expensive compared.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom