Samsung UE49NU7100 vs HiSense 50A6500 vs Sony KD-49XF9005

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by aab, Jul 23, 2018.

1. aab

aab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I just got a Sonos Beam, which is the source of wanting to upgrade my current TV (Samsung UE40EH5000). Whilst I'm not a TV buff in the slightest, I'd like something a bit bigger, better quality and with more HDMI ports. I have looked around trying to understand all the available models out there and would appreciate a little guidance from the pro's around here :).

The models I am interested in comparing are:
    - Samsung UE49NU7100
    - HiSense 50A6500

From a quick look around here it looks like some people actually recommend the older MU version of the Samsung TV. Why is that? What is 'new' in the NU model that meant Samsung cut out elsewhere, to become worse that the 2017 model?

I seem to be leading towards the HiSense one as it has Freeview Play, Freesat HD all built in. My only concerns are how good the app offerings are and brand reliability / quality. I have typically been using my Apple TV to watch YouTube, Netflix etc - so I guess I don't really need the best app/smart system, but its nice to have everything in one place.

Finally, I do also like the look of the Sony KD-49XF9005 but I would say right now this is out of my price range. Does this TV trump the others and should I wait for it to drop in price? I'm happy to wait it out if needs be.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance, suggestions.

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    XF is best tv at 49”, though as it’s new it’s overpriced currently.

MU Samsung is just better value than newer NU one - there’s been no major changes between the ranges.

What’s your current budget? And could you go up to 55”? Much more options there...

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    In case you fell for Samsung's model numbering scheme the new NU7100 is similar to last year's MU6100, not the higher end MU7000.

49" is too small for an uhd TV really and better choices and value for money can be found on 55 inch or 65 inch models.

What's your budget and how much do you value HDR performance? Will you be using HDR much?

4. aab

aab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I can go for bigger than 49", for where the TV will fit. It will already be a jump up from the 40" we are used to at the moment :)

Ideally I'd like to keep my budget around £550/600. I don't plan to change the new TV anytime soon either, if that makes any difference.

R.e. HDR - I keep seeing it called out as a feature of TV's but I don't really know what it is (I'm more familiar with it from a photography perspective, so I can only assume its related to colour?). I'm guessing that if I don't really know what it is I am unlikely to be using it much :)

5. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Hisense 50N6800 if you can find one.

Panasonic EX700/750 @ 50”.

Samsung 49” MU7000.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    HDR - at your budget and at this size it's not really worth thinking about. The cheapest (and only actually) capable HDR tv at this size would be the Sony 49XF9005 which is very expensive right now. That is provided you can no longer find last years models like the Sony 49XE9005 or Samsung 49Q7F still - they are rare now and in very short supply and even those tv's at very least would cost £800.

Do you need wide viewing angles or view head on? If you don't need wide viewing angles the best choices are listed by @zeppelino above. Sadly if you do need wide viewing angles you'll have to look at worse models overall for picture quality. Not any worse with colour but worse with blacks, contrast and screen uniformity.

@deans6571 owned a Samsung H5000 and bought a Samsung 50MU61xx series so he may be able to give some feedback on that upgrade. The 50" Samsung is also a good option along with the above TVs mentioned by Zeppelino.

7. deans6571

deans6571

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    ..I wouldn't worry about the size jump from your existing 40" to 49"! When I jumped from my old 40" H5000 to my current 50" MU6120, initially, I thought the TV was HUGE but now I look at it, and it still looks small even now - could have actually gone up to 55"!!!! You'll get used to the bigger size in a matter of about a week....!!

My older H5000 I originally purchased as it was a pretty decent entry level HD TV at the time - it didn't have any Smart features as I had other connected devices which did all the Smart stuff (games console, Apple TV etc).

I then gave the H5000 to another family member and upgraded to the 50" MU6120 which did have all the Smart features, which actually work BETTER than the other connected (I've since disconnected them!) devices I originally had!

Picture wise - there's no comparison. When watching 4K/UHD content on the MU6120, the picture is gorgeous (the many 4K YouTube scenery vids are a great way to show off the TV!).

It's great entry level 4K TV however as many of these are also marked as having HDR (as mine is), I've actually learnt not to expect great HDR quality on these TVs as even though they may be able to accept an HDR signal, outputting it effectively on screen is a different matter entirely....

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. orac1971

orac1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Agree with all this - just got the same tv and it was an upgrade from a 39” Panasonic and was a massive leap for me.

Pros
    Blu rays looking stunning upscaled
    Netflix 4K, HDR and Prime HDR looks excellent (similar to blu ray)
    IPlayer UHD stuff looked great Wimbledon and World Cup)
    Has all the smart apps (ditched Apple TV 4th gen)

Cons
    On a tv this size and quality I barely seen any difference between the above sources and UHD blu ray disc with hdr

Doesn’t bother me as I paid £369 and it’s miles better than the 4.5 year old Panasonic.

To get something out of HDR you need to spend more.

9. aab

aab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the follow ups. Sounds like I don't really need/care for the HDR. Most of my TV viewing is either normal terrestrial TV, Netflix for kids programmes (my subscription plan currently is only for HD not 4K) and Plex films (which are not blu ray quality... but might look to get those instead now).

Thanks for these suggestions. Argos still sell the HiSense (£427) and I can find the Samsung one at Richer Sounds (£529, 6 year warranty).

Aesthetically I prefer the Samsung MU7000 over the MU6120 as it has stands on either end of the TV, which would allow me to slot the Sonos Beam in the middle.

I'm being drawn to the Samsung one, but probably just because of the brand name. Not sure if that's right though....!

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    They all have their little pros and cons, people seem to like how fast the Samsung smart TV is. The MU7000 is only really a technically better TV with a little more peak HDR brightness, bluetooth and a wide colour gamut. For most content the MU61xx series will be fine. There is more than one TV in each Samsung lineup usually btw. MU6120 is only one revision of the same TV. Same with the MU7000, it's also only one revision.

The last two digits in Samsung model numbers usually are only aesthetic differences, so don't limit yourself only to exact MU7000 and MU6120 when you can look at other revisions like MU6100 and MU7070 instead. Some will have different stands/aesthetic colours too.

I personally don't recommend the MU7000 as its overpriced for what it is. Its certainly not a £100 better than the other TVs on the list.

The Hisense and Panasonic options have all the apps you need, its not like their smart TV is bad or anything too.

Can you find a Panasonic 50EX750? That would beat the lot for overall picture quality.

11. orac1971

orac1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Can’t find any Samsung MU61xx series with different stands (for your Sonos) - if it helps I have a Yamaha 107 soundbar resting on my MU6120 stand at the front and it’s fine.

The Panasonic 50EX750 has a stand which probably wouldn’t be any good for you.

What about the 50EX700? - has adjustable stand.

12. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Hard to value peace of mind that warranty would bring. If the MU7000 was below £500 it’d probably be an easy win.

Regarding stands, you can get universal ones on eBay and the like.

13. aab

aab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made a decision :). I've reserved the UE49MU7000 model and will hopefully collect today / tomorrow.

I went for that model as I do like the Samsung brand over the others (I like the interface and the wide arrange of apps on the store), I prefer the wider stand and the 6 year guarantee does give me peace of mind as I'll likely have the TV that long!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions :D

14. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Hopefully you get a good set

15. aab

aab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a known quality control issue with this model? What sort of things should I look for in determining whether there are any issues that could be return worthy?

16. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    No more than other models. Regardless of price you can get problems. Just watch what you normally would and see if there’s anything obviously jumping out - one thing that may pop up is backlight bleed/clouding from lower edge where LEDs are located.