Question SAMSUNG UE49KU6400 Owners Thoughts?

Meyrick Man

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate any thoughts/reviews on the UE49KU6400 4k tv from any owners?

I'm looking at upgrading from Panasonic GT plasma so is it worth it or not or if anyone has gone from a plasma to this tv that would be great to get your thoughts on the change/difference. To me the Panny plasma's are great all rounders. Good with SD and HD, great for blu-ray but fantastin motion control and obviously the blacks. I've got the 4k itch, but have a limited budget.

Thanks In Advance

Chris

Anyone?

I have got one today first thoughts are very good I'll update as I go through the weekend

Thanks Se7en that would be great...look forward to hearing your thoughts over the weekend.

20160710_211833.jpg 20160710_212109.jpg 20160709_222448.jpg 20160710_212007.jpg 20160710_110311.jpg Okay so here goes.

Tv out the box is excellent visually as in the look and style.
The tv comes with two remotes a smart remote and normal im using the smart remote works excellently.
Onto the picture i have setuo the picture using a different model of tv the KU8000 but the picture looks natural and lifelike. (although some would say muted ) from shop display.
The ease of menu and quickness of the remote are excellent with very short delay and response.
My pc runs in UHD via graphics card and runs very crisp, with excellent detail.

I have not got a fast internet speed for Amazon 4k etc but the picture to me looks excellent very vibrant and colourful with lots of detail especially on youtube 4k videos.
I have upscaled blu rays to 4K resolution and the picture is once again excellent.

onto the not so good motion via wimbledon via skyhd was very juddery however with most motion set to off this is much better to my eyes.
Also you can only use the Samsung UHD colour on HDMI input 1 not on all i hope this is something samsung can rectify in a firmware update.

Also i do not know how the UHD upscaler works within the TV as there is no menu option for this.

in all id give this tv 8.7 out of 10

Any questions please ask

Uploaded some photos of tv these are with different picture settings through the weekend the final set of pictures sin city.
I may do a bit more tweaking here and there

PS the slight lighter side of picture top left is ambient light not clouding etc
20160710_211833.jpg
20160710_212109.jpg
20160709_222448.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks se7en. What are the viewing angles like on this?
Cheers
Phil

I'm looking at this set but the upscaling concerns me, does anyone know for definite whether a regular 1080P signal will look better or worse on this set via upscaling rather than unscaled on a 1080p set?

Okay so here goes.

Tv out the box is excellent visually as in the look and style.
The tv comes with two remotes a smart remote and normal im using the smart remote works excellently.
Onto the picture i have setuo the picture using a different model of tv the KU8000 but the picture looks natural and lifelike. (although some would say muted ) from shop display.
The ease of menu and quickness of the remote are excellent with very short delay and response.
My pc runs in UHD via graphics card and runs very crisp, with excellent detail.

I have not got a fast internet speed for Amazon 4k etc but the picture to me looks excellent very vibrant and colourful with lots of detail especially on youtube 4k videos.
I have upscaled blu rays to 4K resolution and the picture is once again excellent.

onto the not so good motion via wimbledon via skyhd was very juddery however with most motion set to off this is much better to my eyes.
Also you can only use the Samsung UHD colour on HDMI input 1 not on all i hope this is something samsung can rectify in a firmware update.

Also i do not know how the UHD upscaler works within the TV as there is no menu option for this.

in all id give this tv 8.7 out of 10

Any questions please ask
Thanks that's great, looked at the tv in Richer Sounds today. It's even wife friendly, anymore thoughts over the next couple of weeks after abit of use would be great. Think I'm steering towards getting one. Seems like a good tv for the money, the other Samsung I like the look of is £1200 so nearly double. Thanks again Chris

Is HDMI 1 the ARC connection? Just asking because I'd be using my amp through the ARC on the tv and the fact it's only UHD through the HDMI1 is something I'd have to look at?

Thanks se7en. What are the viewing angles like on this?
Cheers
Phil

Hi
I have just checked on viewing angle and it's is excellent almost a full 180 degree with head almost looking side-on to screen with little loss of colour. But I would look at one in person obviously hope that helps

Is HDMI 1 the ARC connection? Just asking because I'd be using my amp through the ARC on the tv and the fact it's only UHD through the HDMI1 is something I'd have to look at?

Hi there

Unfortunately ARC is via hdmi input 3 that's why I hope Samsung might be able to implement uhd across all hdmi via firmware I will at least ask.
The only other way would be via splitters etc

To put this in perspective though I was looking at the 55M7000 and the ARC input is on a none hdr hdmi so at least with the Samsung all hdmi can except hdr input via any hdmi or that's how I'm interrupting it unless I'm way out on this.

Thanks for the update, i'll do some more reseach..

Se7en what's you viewing distance?

Mines very similar between 8-10 feet..

Also i have sent samsung an email asking if the UHD colour could be implemented on the other two Hdmi inputs as i know the SUHD models do it.
Whilst i may not get the answer i want ie should have bought a suhd tv etc it may at least get them thinking of firmware updates in that direction for the future i shall let people know the outcome

Reply from Samsung regarding upscaling to 4k and UHD colour across all HDMI

In reference to your concern regarding upscaling, please be advised that the TV can automatically detect the supported resolution of the contents and will upscale it to the highest resolution possible, transforming what you watch to premium picture quality. Its up-scaling engine raises all conventional content to more impressive quality and with fast and powerful processors it delivers the very best in UHD picture quality.

My question was implementation of UHD colour on all HDMI sockets not just HDMI 1
Answer
Regarding your concern about the UHD coluor, I can certainly forward your concerns onto our engineers, but I can make no promises on their behalf. I can confirm that your television is one of the best Samsung model, and we are constantly developing the firmware to increase its functionality and improve its performance. However, I would be unable to confirm whether your particular concerns will be implemented in the near future. I will raise your concerns with our engineers, as we are always open to customer feedback with a view to improving our products. I hope that we can accommodate your request and so that you can enjoy the television at its fullest potential.

We appreciate your support with our products.

If you require additional assistance, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE).

Kind regards,

Riza F

Customer Service Representative

GetFileAttachment

ALSO ADDED SOME PICTURES OF TV IN ACTION. IN ABOVE POST

Last edited:
Many thanks again for all the info, at least they responded pretty quickly to the email you sent. The pictures of the tv look pretty impressive.

Thanks for your reply regarding upscaling Se7en. I think my mind is set now and I'm going to go for the UE43KU6400 over the 40" 1080p model.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply regarding upscaling Se7en. I think my mind is set now and I'm going to go for the UE43KU6400 over the 40" 1080p model.

Thanks

No problem at all George
When you have a 1080p signal it does not say "upscaled" it just does it automatically but still says 1080p 24 fps etc on screen.
For future proofness i believe that would be a wise and considered choice with reagrds to sky bt and others going into 4K even the BBC

My only concern is my broadband speed, I have fibre optic but only 22mb/s and I'm highly unlikely to get Sky or BT. I keep thinking that the upscaled image could look worse than original 1080p too :(

Dont worry i only get 11mb/s but going forward i hope that changes.....
Id go and see one running in person i did.
Any other questions feel free

I've seen one in Currys but they had it hooked up to a 4k stream. It's a dilemma, I want to future proof the set but not to the potnential detriment of having 99% of my current viewing.

I did ask someone in Currys but they were less than helpful. Maybe I should just believe Samsung's claims.

Se7en any more thoughts on the new tv? Thanks in advance Chris

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom