• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Samsung UE48J5500, UE48H6400, Sony 50W805C or something else? Best TV for about £500.

Magnakai

Standard Member
I'm looking for the best TV buy for about £500. We don't currently have a TV, so anything would be an upgrade! I'm thinking about something in the region of 50".

Main priority is good quality for movies and high-end TV drama, so we'd be switching off any motion smoothing and going for a natural colour balance. A secondary consideration is gaming. 3D and smart features aren't that interesting to us, we just want a great picture. Sound wouldn't matter much either, we have external speakers it would be plugged into.

I've seen great reviews for the UE48H6400, but that's over a year old now, and I know the industry moves fast, so I wanted to know what else is recommended. The UE48J5500 is substantially cheaper and a bit newer, but I couldn't find much feedback on it. I've also found the curved UE48J6300 for a decent price from Richer Sounds, but I'm not really sold on the curved screen concept.

Sony obviously have a great brand image, and it seems that their W805 series is great for gaming, and just high quality all round. The 50" model would be right at the very top of my budget at £599.99, I can't really go any higher than that.

Any suggestions would be welcome, whether they're ones I've been looking at or others.

Old Bones

I've seen great reviews for the UE48H6400, but that's over a year old now, and I know the industry moves fast,

Not as fast as you might think - the six series hasn't changed markedly since the LED version came out some years back, at least in terms of the panel refresh and the number of HDMI's. Thats fine - the bugs have been ironed out, the panel is well reviewed, and prices are keen for the spec. I've no problem recommending the H6400 - ticks a lot of boxes. The J6300 looks OK as well, and the whole curved thing is neither here nor there - 'does it look fine?' is the question.

The J5500 is a 100hz 2D TV - the 6400/6300 is a 400hz 3D TV - the refesh rate is what your buying - better screen, better picture. Get the best panel for your money. The W705 would be in the same bracket as the J5500, whilst the W805 is broadly equal to the 6400.

Magnakai

Standard Member
Get the best panel for your money. The W705 would be in the same bracket as the J5500, whilst the W805 is broadly equal to the 6400.

Superb advice, thanks very much! Since I can get the 48" 6400 for £100 less than the 50" 805, it seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom