Samsung UE48H6400AK picture quality

C

Crystal21

This is an old TV, from 2014 I think, but new to me and it was meant to be an upgrade from my 32 inch LG. This new one is 48 inches. I have it connected to a humax freesat+ box, a Roku 2 and a DVD player (it has one scart socket). All of those are ancient but working perfectly and the picture was great on my smaller LG tv. With this Samsung, on HD channels the picture is fine although text is nowhere near as sharp looking. On SD, the picture is awful. Blurry and fuzzy looking with a greyish hue. The screen is so cloudy looking that I keep blinking. On DVD’s, it’s unwatchable. There’s also a sound issue. The TV seems to randomly increase/decrease the sound and this is most obvious with DVD’s and SD channels but also on HD channels to a lesser extent. However, my LG tv was also starting to have slight sound issues so perhaps it’s linked to the humax or roku and not the tv. The sound problem is definitely much worse on this Samsung.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is it the larger screen? Is it because the roku and humax boxes are old and maybe ‘incompatible’ in some way? I’ve read that SD channels always look bad on newer tv’s but I’m not sure how bad. Since most channels are still in SD, it makes no sense that people would buy tv’s that have worse pictures.

SD channels and SD video via a DVD player will always look bad on a bigger screen.
The main 5 terrestrial channels are available in HD so stick to viewing those.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom