Samsung UE46H6203 or LG 47LB580V or something else?

lovethechang

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a new tv after our approx 8 year old Samsung PS42Q96HDX went pop.

The OH and i were in Richer Sounds on Saturday and we have spotted two panels, the Samung UE46H6203 and the LG 47LB580V - The guy we spoke with said the Samsung is the better of the two, but only has 2 HDMI compared to 3 on the LG - We have HDMI switching boxes to use if necessary so really isnt a factor in the decision. both of these will come with a 5 year guarantee, so any other options would need the same. - We have £500 to spend, however, the LG is a little more, (£530) so would go to that much as the limit.

We will be using for SKY HD, watching Formula 1 and football, Xbox gaming and DVD playback.

Which one of these should we go for or is there something else which I may have missed?

Thanks in advance

If you're budget can stretch to £548 the 48h6400 is a better bet. Misco website have them at that price

Thanks for the recommendation Manatleisure. Although I have said I like the look of the LGH at £529, the wife has put her foot down and said absolutely no more than £500 as Christmas is nearing and have a baby on the way and that means money is going to be tight, so thats that:) Oh, and we'll also be needing to buy a tv screen protector on top, which adds to the final bill (all in all, I have £550 to spend, BUT THAT INCLUDES THE PURCHASE OF A SCREEN PROTECTOR @£45)

Anyone recommend any 46-48 inch Toshiba, Panasonic or Sony tvs, or is the Samsung I am looking at the best for my money, especially with that 5 year guarantee? Planning on buying in the next few days if anyone can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Looks like the missus has decided for you then. Lol.
At 500 quid those 2 tv's are probably your best bet. Interestingly if you look at the customer reviews on the John Lewis website the LG gets the full thumbs up.

I have had a fruitless search looking for any resemblance of a review of the UE46H6203, and have only spotted one comment besides my own on AVF making any mention of it. I found the international model number (UN46H6203) and the reviews and based on Amazon USA, the reviews are mixed, leaving me to question whether I should buy this model as I haven't even seen one on display to take a look at. Out of curiosity, could I ask Richer Sounds to set one up to look at as they didn't have any space on their walls or on the floor to have it out?

As another option, as much as I would love a 46-47 inch, would I get a better tv if I dropped down to a 42-43 inch for the money I have available? I am not bothered about 3D as it gives me migraines, so no point in paying for it if it aint going to get used! What would you recommend

At 42 inches consider the 42as650 and the 42w705. Both 499 at Richer Sounds. Go and have a look at them in action.

The LG 47LB580V has just dropped £10 - going into Richer Sounds on Wednesday to view and probably purchase something as the 32 inch loaner from my mum is too small and I feel like i need to binos to see the screen :) Still haven't decided on which size to go for so will be taking advice from staff in store. Although that advice can be confusing as one guy said the samsung is better, then a different guy was saying the LG is better.

Went into Currys on Thursday, and got the most BS in one sentence I've ever heard - We won't price match Richer Sounds because they get their stock from a third party! Exactly where do Currys get their stock from?

Here's a review of the H6203;

Samsung UN46H6203 Review (UN46H6203AFXZA, UN46H6203AF)| 46-inch 1080p Full HD Smart LED TV

I also read the reviews on Amazon US and it seems as though most people found PQ to be very good but smart functions sluggish.

I whole heartedly agree with Manatleisure though...the 48" H6400 is best deal around at the moment. Not just for 46-48" but for any sized TV. If you are spending £500 it makes sense to go up to £600 for what you're getting. I'm also looking at TV's around your budget. I was going to get the 48" H5000 but at £460 it makes no sense to buy when the H6400 is only £140 more. For the extra out lay I would be getting; double refresh rate, 2 extra HDMi ports, swivel stand, smarts, 3d...no brainer really! I think you should fight your corner! Though I can appreciate the fairer sex generally despise large screen TV's!

First of all, thank you for finding that review - its the first i've seen on that tv.

The OH is actively pushing for the larger screen - I was saying to her earlier that we would be able to get a better spec of TV at the same size (42 inch) we have/had before it stopped working, but she was saying the size of 42's these days (in comparison to our old fat 42 inch) would leave too much of a gap around the outsides and would look rather stupid. I would attach a photo, but i cannot get it to upload on here for some reason (link to copy Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. - that is a 32inch Panasonic TX-L32E3B pictured)

I had a look at the 48H6400 in currys earlier in the week - the guy was trying to flog me a second user ex repair for £25 off the list price - @but it comes with our 12 month warranty' he said like that was meant to seal the deal. Even at £575, I cannot go that high - we are pushing ourselves to get to £520, if we go for the LG.

The two models I have been discussing, they are the latest models - would going for an older model be better sense?

Well, as far as LG's go they tend to have good viewing angles but poor contrast and black levels compared to Samsung and Sony LED's.

I had an 42" LG LN540V and when watching in the evening everything that should be black was a washed out grey. The experience has put me off LG's forever! Speaking entirely for myself, I would be more inclined to go for the 48" Samsung H5000 which is £460 on amazon. This will give far better PQ than the LG IMO. It is a basic HD TV without any 3d or smart capabilites but as far as PQ goes it should be brilliant. Design is also pretty sleek;

tv-led-samsung-h5000-quatre-modeles-annonces_021020_021020.jpg

No reviews yet but here's review of last years F5000;

Samsung F5000 (UE42F5000) LED LCD Television Review | AVForums

Samsung UE32F5000 (F5000) Review

The only achilles heel is the refresh rate but for a 60Hz set its actually pretty good.

I would go for the H5000 or the H6203...unless you really need wide viewing angles in which case get the LG.

The 48" H6400 is now £545 on amazon. I am toying with the idea of buying and put it into my basket and went to 'checkout' and £7.99 was deducted which reduced price to £538. Not sure if this is a general promo or just one for me?! Either way still a very, very good price for the TV.

First of all, thank you for finding that review - its the first i've seen on that tv.

The OH is actively pushing for the larger screen - I was saying to her earlier that we would be able to get a better spec of TV at the same size (42 inch) we have/had before it stopped working, but she was saying the size of 42's these days (in comparison to our old fat 42 inch) would leave too much of a gap around the outsides and would look rather stupid. I would attach a photo, but i cannot get it to upload on here for some reason (link to copy Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. - that is a 32inch Panasonic TX-L32E3B pictured)

I had a look at the 48H6400 in currys earlier in the week - the guy was trying to flog me a second user ex repair for £25 off the list price - @but it comes with our 12 month warranty' he said like that was meant to seal the deal. Even at £575, I cannot go that high - we are pushing ourselves to get to £520, if we go for the LG.

The two models I have been discussing, they are the latest models - would going for an older model be better sense?
Ask Richer Sounds to price match the Misco.co.uk price of £543.60 for the 48h6400. They should do.

For 23 pounds more you are getting a much better tv than the 46-48 cheap tv's they have in the 400 to 500 price range. You are right when you say the 42 inches are better spec at that price range.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I went down to richer Sounds yesterday morning with the OH, and she decided she liked the LG 580v with its IPS screen so thats what we went for. Managed to get it for £509 and brought it back ourselves.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom