Samsung UE46F6500 + Sky HD Subscription

redsquirrel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I got my 1st LED TV yesterday (Thur 6 Feb) which has Freeview HD & Freesat HD and is going to cost me a fortune as it is from Brighthouse - a rent-to-buy shop - but it is my only option of digital tv as I'm Registered Disabled and cannot work, therefore can't afford to buy one outright etc.

I want to use my subscription Sky package (Entertainment+ and Movies) but I can't get any "programme synopsis" on any channel, and I also can't get the EPG past 12 hours meaning I can't set my programmes for the week - is there something I am not doing? I have a twin LNB and on checking the signal "input 1" has full strength, but "input 2" is empty i.e. not locked despite being connected properly - why is this? Does this mean I can't record programmes?

The tv is connected via the HDMI lead that came with the Sky+ HD box and the digital programme is set to "satellite", and it was the delivery guys that set it up even though they have had no training to do so - so is it set up to receive normal Sky broadcasts or do I need to do something different?

It is a new Sky+ HD box as I only re-subscribed 3 months ago, and it was working perfectly on a rear-projection tv I got from Freecycle but the bulb went so the tv got binned as the fans were making a terrible racket as well, despite being cleaned.

I am no "techie" so plain English explanations please lol.

Grateful for any help received.

It sounds like the second LNB connection to the Sky box isn't working properly - as it is this which is used to download EPG information, programme synopsese, and which is used to record one channel while watching another, or to record two channels at the same time. I would guess, if your TV has Freesat as well as Freeview built into it, that the second cable from your Sky dish is actually connected to your TV's satellite tuner rather than to the Sky box's second satellite tuner. Which means your telly will pick up the Freesat channels without your Sky box even being turned on - but isn't a lot of help if you want to get the best out of your Sky+ HD subscription.

Hi All,

I got my 1st LED TV yesterday (Thur 6 Feb) which has Freeview HD & Freesat HD and is going to cost me a fortune as it is from Brighthouse - a rent-to-buy shop - but it is my only option of digital tv as I'm Registered Disabled and cannot work, therefore can't afford to buy one outright etc.

I want to use my subscription Sky package (Entertainment+ and Movies) but I can't get any "programme synopsis" on any channel, and I also can't get the EPG past 12 hours meaning I can't set my programmes for the week - is there something I am not doing? I have a twin LNB and on checking the signal "input 1" has full strength, but "input 2" is empty i.e. not locked despite being connected properly - why is this? Does this mean I can't record programmes?

The tv is connected via the HDMI lead that came with the Sky+ HD box and the digital programme is set to "satellite", and it was the delivery guys that set it up even though they have had no training to do so - so is it set up to receive normal Sky broadcasts or do I need to do something different?

It is a new Sky+ HD box as I only re-subscribed 3 months ago, and it was working perfectly on a rear-projection tv I got from Freecycle but the bulb went so the tv got binned as the fans were making a terrible racket as well, despite being cleaned.

I am no "techie" so plain English explanations please lol.

Grateful for any help received.
What do you mean "digital programme is set to satellite"?

With the sky box on and the TV set to the appropriate HDMI input you should see the Sky output.
If input 2 is not showing then the cable cannot be connected properly - re-connect it if you can. The only other possibility is that the cable was severed but very unlikely.

You say there's no epg etc, but can you see the programme itself?

What do you mean "digital programme is set to satellite"?

With the sky box on and the TV set to the appropriate HDMI input you should see the Sky output.
If input 2 is not showing then the cable cannot be connected properly - re-connect it if you can. The only other possibility is that the cable was severed but very unlikely.

You say there's no epg etc, but can you see the programme itself?

Broadz posted while I was writing mine - second what he says. I never imagined that somebody would have connected input 2 to the TV - daft.

If the second input on the Sky box is connected check the connector hasn't come away from the cable or the protruding cable end hasn't been broken/shorted.

I'm not clear on what you have connected. The Sky machine should still be connected to the satellite input by one or two cables and then to the TV by HDMI - the FS tuner in the TV is not going to be much use.

- the FS tuner in the TV is not going to be much use.

In an ideal world he'd have three connections from his satellite dish - two to his Sky box and one to his telly. That way, if his Sky box was recording two channels at the same time, he could still view his TV independently of the Sky box to watch either Freesat or Freeview. But as you say, its probably overkill. The OP claimed he only had a twin LNB which is unlikely - Sky only fitted these for an eighteen month period in 2000 and 2001, before they started using quads (or octos) whenever more than a single connection was required.

All agreed!
The lack of signal to one input needs to be addressed but it does not mean that nothing can be recorded.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom