Samsung UE40JU6400 (JU6400) Ultra HD 4K TV Review & Comments

Hi Phil - thanks for the review! A number of the online reviews (most about 3-4 weeks old) mention a lack of BBC iPlayer- has this been resolved in the version you reviewed?

Hi Phil - thanks for the review! A number of the online reviews (most about 3-4 weeks old) mention a lack of BBC iPlayer- has this been resolved in the version you reviewed?
Yes that is correct. The Smart TV service was, during the review period, being 'switched on' with a few updates while I had the set in for review adding more apps all the time. I understand that 2015 TV models should all be up to date by the end of May, some quicker than others. We will have a full in-depth review of the Tizen Smart System soon. Hope that helps.

Hi Phil, great review. Just one request: please, could you be more specific about the input lag. How many ms is it in Game Mode?

Can't expect it all really from the lowest rung 4K model that Samsung has for sale this year.

I would expect a television produced in this day and age not to have lip sync problems and it seems Samsung have problems with this with a lot of their models and for a long time.

I had one of these in my house for a week. I can confirm that the only main apps that worked were Amazon and Netflix, there were no iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, 5Demand at all. Worse than that, there were iPlayer apps, that simply brought up a screen saying not available. I emailed Samsung asking when these would be available and was told there was no date available for any of these.

One of my main chairs also sits off-axis and I can agree on the screen. Once off axis, the picture quality is terrible (I'm comparing vs. my 6/7 year old Panasonic plasma).

I returned it and got the 2014 model instead. Much better picture and all the apps work.

Roy, could you write a user review by clicking the user tab and filling in some details.

Yep didn't expect much from Samsung's lowest end, still appears to be decent though for the not too fussy

Any plans on reviewing the JU7000?

Personally I'm waiting for the Panasonic cx800/802 a 10 bit HDR capable panel, fully backlit and under £2,000 for the 55".

Can't wait for AVForums reviewers to get one in.

I had one of these in my house for a week. I can confirm that the only main apps that worked were Amazon and Netflix, there were no iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, 5Demand at all. Worse than that, there were iPlayer apps, that simply brought up a screen saying not available. I emailed Samsung asking when these would be available and was told there was no date available for any of these.

One of my main chairs also sits off-axis and I can agree on the screen. Once off axis, the picture quality is terrible (I'm comparing vs. my 6/7 year old Panasonic plasma).

I returned it and got the 2014 model instead. Much better picture and all the apps work.

Hi Roy
I was looking to replace my P42X10 with the samsung 55", you mention the viewing angle, I presume when you say "much better picture", you're including the viewing angle on the 2014 model?

What was the 2014 model you went for?

I was thinking I might see if I can get a second hand TXP-55VT30B or TXP-55VT50B and avoid any disappointment in picture quality. LOL

Last edited:
QUESTION - most would agree that 40" is too small for 4k, and your review even leads with that comment.

So why spend your valuable review time and resources on a 40" 4k model - why not put your efforts into reviewing a sensible size that your members are more likely to buy?

Cheers,

Nigel

QUESTION - most would agree that 40" is too small for 4k, and your review even leads with that comment.
So why spend your valuable review time and resources on a 40" 4k model - why not put your efforts into reviewing a sensible size that your members are more likely to buy?
Cheers,
Nigel
The 6400 series model was one of the most read reviews last year. 40-inches is still the sweet spot for most TV purchases in this country. The fact that this section of the market is now offering 4K is worth checking out to see what you get, not just in terms of resolution as that is just one part of the package. So I disagree with you on this occasion, I think it is worth covering, but thanks for your comments.

The 6400 series model was one of the most read reviews last year. 40-inches is still the sweet spot for most TV purchases in this country. The fact that this section of the market is now offering 4K is worth checking out to see what you get, not just in terms of resolution as that is just one part of the package. So I disagree with you on this occasion, I think it is worth covering, but thanks for your comments.

Well you don't entirely disagree because your closing comment in the review is

In truth you have to sit at the very most 5ft back from the JU6400 to still be able to see the extra detail on offer with native 4K material. Any further back it becomes more difficult to tell the difference in resolution alone. And as this panel is not a wider gamut or HDR capable one, then resolution is the only comparison to be made.

And is 40" really the sweet spot for AVF Members. I have been looking at the 2014 Samsungs and I agree that there is a lot of discussion around the H6400 but mostly it is the 48H6400 - and besides the H6400 is not a 4k set.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
And is 40" really the sweet spot for AVF Members.
Don't worry there is a 55-inch JU6400 review on the way, so we have thought about covering all the bases as much as we can, and obviously you quoting my review is only possible, because we answered the question, by reviewing the 40-inch.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Thanks guys - just bought the 50in version of this model at the weekend. I'm already very pleased with it - 4K looks stunning & HD excellent. Will try your suggested settings tomorrow!

Last edited:
Just wanted to add (bear in mind my TV is the 50" model) how great the blacks were on this TV, rich with detail, not just black patches - whilst watching the TV BAFTA Awards tonight.
Wonderful!

The only upsetting thing (Spoiler coming)

Was Sheridan Smith not winning Best Actress for her performance in 'Cilla'

Regards, daveac *(cooperda)

I have ordered this TV from J.Lewis due this Friday. I visited PC world (not to buy) just to see the TV on show and I was quite pleased with it. I understand main complaints appear to be around BBC iplayer etc being missing. I have absolutely no interest in those catch-up things. I want it mainly for watching Blu-ray movies and gaming.

It will replace an old Hitachi TV that has begun to flicker, often especially at start-up.

J.Lewis have a 5 year warranty and free soundbox thing so went with them for the purchase.

By the way - I deliberately stood to the side of the TV and I did not see a issue in picture integrity at 10 degrees or what must have been more than that. anyway I would not sit watching it that way it will be directly in front of me.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 48" version. Just a few things, if someone would mind answering:

1) With black levels of around 0.06cm (according to the review) are blacks completely black when viewing from head on? In other words if watching a letterboxed picture are the blacks top and bottom virtually invisible?

2) Can the game mode be activated (and can the tv remember the setting) on a per input basis?

3) Is anyone seeing useful apps like Spotify or Plex for Tizen OS yet? I believe these are all available on the 2014 or older smart system. Is there an online resource to check what apps are available or coming soon?

Thanks for any answers! These things are hard to find out in store, especially from a trained Samsung representative ;)

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 48" version. Just a few things, if someone would mind answering:

1) With black levels of around 0.06cm (according to the review) are blacks completely black when viewing from head on? In other words if watching a letterboxed picture are the blacks top and bottom virtually invisible?

2) Can the game mode be activated (and can the tv remember the setting) on a per input basis?

3) Is anyone seeing useful apps like Spotify or Plex for Tizen OS yet? I believe these are all available on the 2014 or older smart system. Is there an online resource to check what apps are available or coming soon?

Thanks for any answers! These things are hard to find out in store, especially from a trained Samsung representative ;)
Hi yes I have the game mode on and the tv remembers for the channel. I find the blacks alright but I'm coming from a kuro 5090h so it's not going to be as good as the kuro and sorry I don't use the smart stuff

Thanks for the review Phil. Was really helpful in choosing this TV for my parents.

Found the TV online for £530 without the Sound Bar. Having looked at the TV setup with the Sound Bar in a store I'm glad I didn't choose that more expensive option as the inbuilt sound is perfect for the room.

Got to say as a piece of hardware it really is fantastic for the money. Sitting 8-10 feet away watching in HD the picture quality is amazing even on the defaults.

Software wise I feel like I'm looking at a Dead on Arrival OS in this Tizen system. Looks promising, its fast, clear and stable. Without the Apps everyone's become used too though it feels a bit hopeless. No iPlayer or Plex is leaving me scratching my head how this is called a Smart TV in 2015. Samsung support can't offer any hope of new Apps coming soon and information of whats coming when seems non-existent. Samsungs own software (Smart view etc) don't even work properly. Guess I'll need to look at getting a Chromecast for it.

Still overall everyone is impressed with the TV. Even with the extra £25 that will be needed for a Chromecast it feels like a real bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom