Quantcast

Samsung UE40H5500 (H5500) TV Review

desinho

Have you checked the service menu to confirm it's direct-lit? The 50 inch version doesn't appear to be for one ...
Just found someone reported this finding: 40A6AF0V for their 40H5500 (V for Vertical edge-lit from top and bottom).
Something I may have stumbled upon is the models ending on "3" being the direct-lit versions, but only based on a single service menu code reported from a H6273 German model (which should be the H6203) that actually ended on "D" for Direct LED backlighting.
But there appear to be very few owners of a "3" model and even less that can be bothered to check their 'service' menu ...

Last edited:

beano35

Novice Member
Thanks for the review Mark...have had one of these since june this year and absolutely love this TV...I have posted my settings in a thread elsewhere but would you please be happy to post your review settings to compare and see what you think are the best picture settings for this TV...Thanks in advance:)

Joao I

Novice Member
Hi Mark, thanks for the review. I am torn between buying this model and the UE40H5000 - is it the only real difference between one and the other the smart features? I saw them side by side on John Lewis and the image on the H5500 looked slightly better and smoother, but I'm not sure if that may be because of their set up?

Thanks.

Atomicus

How is this set for gaming (this is my primary use) vs the Sony W7? I'd previously read the Samsungs have far worse response time so aren't ideal for gaming, and the W7 would be the far better choice, but this review seems to suggest otherwise, which surprised me. Any thoughts?

How does it compare to the UE40H5510 also? Is that a superior or inferior model, as JL seem to have a good price on that at the moment.

Also, can anyone comment on the results HERE which seem to contradict what this review says about response time and gaming? I'm confused.

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
The difference versus the 5510 is just bezel colour I think

noogle1

Standard Member
Anyone know if the 5500 supports DLNA streaming? I couldn't find anything on the Samsung website about this.

KoThreads

Bought one at the weekend for the kitchen/diner, never knew this review was here else I wouldn't have been so worried about getting it, was going to buy the Digihome 50 inch as sister has one but decided I wouldn't. After two days I love it, my NAS, two pc's run through it via wifi. Only minus is that I cant get Smart view 2 to install on my Nexus 10 or Galaxy S2, but the internet is full of people with the same problem. Picture looks great right out the box where I have it. I will try the settings on here but as mines in a very light room that gets loads of sunlight I doubt I'll notice.

springtide

Distinguished Member
Seems v. good for the price!

Anyone know whether you can connect Bluetooth headphones to this set? If not, what is the cheapest Samsung version that does?

Also it would be useful to know if the Synology DS Video is available on this TV?

Thanks
Simon

jonesy75

Novice Member
Bought one at the weekend for the kitchen/diner, never knew this review was here else I wouldn't have been so worried about getting it, was going to buy the Digihome 50 inch as sister has one but decided I wouldn't. After two days I love it, my NAS, two pc's run through it via wifi. Only minus is that I cant get Smart view 2 to install on my Nexus 10 or Galaxy S2, but the internet is full of people with the same problem. Picture looks great right out the box where I have it. I will try the settings on here but as mines in a very light room that gets loads of sunlight I doubt I'll notice.
So u recommend this ..thinking of getting this for the bedroom...

jonesy75

Novice Member
Looking at this tv now to buy... seems good and review 9/10 ,,, mostly for gaming and watching sports and films over the net ... that many tv's about hard to decide have around £399 to spend?????

springtide

Distinguished Member
Looked a good TV and probably would have bought one myself if they had one in stock at the time at Richer Sounds, but ended up going for one of the new J Series in a 43 for about £80 more.

jonesy75

Novice Member
I've actually gone for the SONY KDL42W705 at £399 ,, has got very good reviews and the info that it's great with the PS4 for graphics .... and great for watching films