Samsung UE40H5000 or Toshiba 40L2436DB?

David1982

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok so ive narrowed my choice down to two low budget 40 inch tvs but cant decide for the life of me which one is going to be better they seem pretty balanced on paper but which is going to be the best in the real world......i suppose i just want the best all rounder but would prefer a good clear and crisp picture with vibrant colours over any of the useless extras like extra ports / connectivity etc....Can anybody give me any reasons why one of these sets is better than the other in terms of picture quality?

Thanks in advance!

Samsung UE40H5000 40" Full HD LED Freeview HD TV - Black

Toshiba 40L2436DB 40" Full HD LED Freeview TV - Black

Not seen the Toshiba but the Samsung 5 series are considered to be excellent value for money. Good blacks and accurate colours. However, motion performance is not the best as the H5000 and H5500 are 60hz. Prices are very low at the moment so getting a TV with a 120hz refresh rate could be a better investment. The two that have best reviews are the Panasonic AS640 40" and Samsung H6400 40" which are both about £400. Both these TV's will have better processing than H5000 so Blu Rays will be shown in proper 24p, DVD's will look better and dodgy Freeview channels will look cleaner. But if you want to make a few compromises on PQ and save £100 then the H5000 would be a good choice.Hope this helps!

I had the same query regarding the 42 pana A400B or the samsung 40H5000, purchased the pana' as its my tv brand of choice, returned within 2 days for numerous reasons so then purchased the samsung and all I can say is that IMHO its far superior to the pana' on every level and I am extremely happy with quality of picture (standard, HD and Blu), no noticable issue with motion handling ( that I can see) sound is good considering and I would be happy to recommend it.

Cheers for the replies guys i bought the toshiba as i liked the look of that one most out of all 3 and because of the 200hz AMR motion rate as opposed to the other twos sets 100hz, but ive arranged a return on it due to a pixel fault that developed within the first week. Also the sound isnt upto much and there was terrible interference with speech on volume levels 1-5 and the tv has little in the way of picture and sound customisation menus. Ive actually just ordered the samsung instead as my replacement and its on the way now but doubt was creeping back in and i was just wondering if i should have paid the extra few quid and gone for the panasonic you mentioned as im not too keen on how the samsung looks to be honest. After reading what youve written though im confident ive made the best choice. I think both the panasonic and the toshiba are more pleasing to the eye with their sleek looks and its a shame about the toshiba its a gorgeous looking tv with super slim frame and a nice modern style stand but i suppose that looks arent everything and would rather have something thats better on the inside. Thanks for clearing that little dilemma up for me! samsung wins!

Hi there. I recently bought a Toshiba 40l2436, which I'm returning due to a backlight issue. I've got the option to go for the Samsung instead, I just wondered how you found the Samsung compared to the Toshiba?

its far superior in every way possible....go for it you wont be dissapointed! the sound is deeper and richer, the pictures much better quality, theres more customisation of settings, the menus are a better design and layout, the tv guide is better, the remote is better build quality,everything is better about this tv apart from the looks...i just dont like the old style stand on the samsung but was willing to compromise on looks for much better performance

Cool cheers. I read in a review somewhere that you can't change the headphone jack volume. Sounds mental. Is that true?

I hadnt tried my headphones with it so ive just been and checked this out now and i can confirm that you "can" change the volume of the headphones using the volume button on the remote

Having just purchased the Samsung myself I have to say I'm very impressed so far.

Easy to set up and if you follow the PicturePerfect guide on these forums you could have an excellent looking picture in a few minutes.

If you have the budget and space Richer Sounds have the 50" Version for £399 and if you sign up to their free VIP club they give you a 5 year guarantee as well.

yeh i have to say im very happy with the samsung so far...i can see why it gets good reviews for tvs in the sub £300 price range... compared to the toshiba 40L2436DB which is incidentally a new for 2014 model and looks more modern (so one would think the tech inside would be the latest aswell) its in a different class the toshibas just a nice looking piece of junk in comparison! buy the samsung with confidence thats all i can say

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom