Samsung UE40F6670SBXXU Flickering in 3D

Graeme42

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've tried searching for this fault on the forum but couldn't find anything similar.

Our Samsung UE40F6670SBXXU has developed an annoying fault when in 3D mode (normal viewing is fine). The top third or so of the screen flickers quite badly (you can see the flicker without the 3D glasses on). I've tried a different Blu-Ray player, different HDMI leads and ports, reset the tv to original settings, updated the firmware. I spoke to someone at Samsung and they suggest it could be the board that controls the 3D. Anyone else heard of this issue or experienced it?

A video showing this issue would help. When in 3D mode the TV will be driving the panel and backlight hard maxing most settings and i suspect there may be an issue with either the panel or backlight. One way to find out would be to use the TV normally with the backlight set to its maximum and eco settings off. If you get the same result you can rule out 3D being at fault and its probably a panel issue with something breaking down as it warms up.

I've tried it with the backlight set to maximum and eco settings off and there is no flicker when using the TV normally.

Hmmm well that's stumped me, from your video it looks like some sort of panel issue brought on by heat. I suspect the the issue will be more hardware related than software. If you bought it from a UK retailer you should be covered by the SOGA or whatever new legislation recently replaced it. Contact your retailer and they should sort you out with a FOC repair at the very least.

very odd, would say a fault of some kind.

Hey, How did you end up going with your tv? I have the same problem with my Samsung 3D tv flickering near the top of the screen only during 3D movies and only on the newer 3D movies I have purchased. My old 3D movies still work fine. Can someone please help

I'm also having this problem, mine is at the top and bottom of the screen, only in 3D, normal viewing in all picture modes on max backlight etc is perfect but 3D has flickering, any info would be great TV model UE40F6800

My TV (UE40F6670) has developed this exact same problem, though mine is across the middle third of the screen. I've tried Samsung support but all they can suggest is "do a picture reset", "update the software" etc, which of course I did before I contacted them.

My video of the issue is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8X9uDEoBCSXaG5JX2VTS0NHODg

I've just found this video:

In the comments, people suggest that the problem is due to a faulty power supply - might this do the trick? Or is it wishful thinking that changing the PSU might actually help?

Last edited:
Does anyone have any other thoughts about this?

Just in case anyone is reading this: the flickering problem in 3D is still there, and from reading around online it does seem to be a problem with the psu failing and not being able to provide enough power to the backlight when it's driven hard. I can replicate the problem in 2D mode by turning on the "LED Clear Motion" setting in custom motion plus options; I'm not sure if this confirms or contradicts the psu idea but it's interesting. To me at least...

Hello.I am reading this.I have the exact same problem with my ue46f6800. Just by activating 3d mode i have this flickering at the bottom side.I have basic electronics knowledge so if you have any thoughts i could give a shot.

I also replicated the problem but only in dynamic mode.And i noticed that the board under DS802 on psu board looks burned.Psu board type BN4400623B.

Unfortunately, I'm having the exact same issue. Could you elaborate on the power supply board issue? Is it fixable? I'd really like to watch 3d again (even though it seems to be going away).

Thanks for getting this thread going. It was very frustrating looking at flickering issues that didn't match mine...

Thank you for your response and please excuse my ignorance... I'm confused as to how a new unit (I'm assuming you're talking about the power supply board) would fix this. Are our boards going bad or do they need some sort of upgrade? I don't mind putting a little money into this, but I'm concerned I'll make things worse or will just completely waste money.

Thanks again!

Some coils on the board are defected.They operating in normal mode but they can't produce the excess current that is required for 3d mode.In my country i cant find any PSU but you can find it used in the UK and new in China.Of course you have to deal with shipping cost.But be carefull: the new PSU has to be exactly the same with the old one even in Rev number.Hope i was helpful.

Frank

That makes sense. Quite a bummer though! I really appreciate your help on this. Is there a resource I can use to check for my particular tv (UN55F7100) or did they use different PSU versions on a particular model necessitating me needing to take the tv apart to check the number?

Thank you again and have a Merry Christmas!

Have a Merry Chrismas too.You have to remove the back cover and write down all the numbers anf letters on the PSU board.Mine for instance is BN4400623B rev1.1 (see pic).

Attachments

• 20161127_144410.jpg
    20161127_144410.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 785
Awesome. Thanks. Alright, well I'm going to try it and I'll report back with the results. I suppose that I may not actually receive the board though as it's sold out at most reputable looking places. I'm not sure that the place I actually ordered it from will deliver.

Thanks again for your help.

Changing the psu worked and everything is great! Thanks so much. It was about $100 shipped from buyqual. They shipped it out fairly quickly. Also, ShopJimmy had a repair kit for around $20 but I wasn't totally confident in my abilities. Thanks again!

Just tried to go on ShopJimmy's web site and it's saying "access denied", which is a bummer.

Happy i helped:)
Changing the psu worked and everything is great! Thanks so much. It was about $100 shipped from buyqual. They shipped it out fairly quickly. Also, ShopJimmy had a repair kit for around $20 but I wasn't totally confident in my abilities. Thanks again!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom