Samsung UE40ES5500 - Awful picture colours!

woody75

Standard Member
I am really not sure how so many people rate this TV!

My mum got this about a week ago as a replacement for a fairly decent 32" Sony as she wanted a bigger screen and i got the job of setting it up.

Using out of the box default settings which were supposedly very good on this Samsung i immediately noticed that the picture looked like it had a blue wash as if you were viewing the it through a pale blue/lavender filter. At first we thought we must be imagining it but then compared the picture to her old Sony and the differences because glaringly obvious as the Sony colours were much more realistic and certainly no blue tint. Watching the Tennis at Wimbledon was even worse as the green courts looked bright lime in colour!

After a bit of internet searching trying to find some decent setting hoping to correct the problem i stumbled upon this reviewSamsung UE40ES5500/ UE32ES5500 (ES5500) LED TV Review in which they basically notice the exact same issues as on my mums set. They go on to say that the blue tint can be corrected by altering the White Balance setting but don’t explain how they do it! It also looks like you’ll have to live with the awful bright greens to some degree.

Has anyone with this TV had any experience with this and managed to correct the colour problems? Basically i have about 10 days to see if i can figure out how to get an acceptable picture or its going back to Richer Sounds

vickster

Distinguished Member
Have you looked for setting suggestions in the owners thread?

woody75

Standard Member
I did a search but could only find an owners thread for the 32" which had nothing re the colour balancing. There's another thread for the 40" with general opinions on the model but nothing again regarding white balance colour correction just the odd post listing mucked around with setting which have not helped unfortunately.

I understand its a new TV but i'm surprised that there aren't other owners that have not picked up on this pretty noticable problem with the picture except the HDTVtest website review team. Unfortunately i have not got the tech knowledge to correct the colour balance settings myself

Last edited:

woody75

Standard Member
Did think it may be a fault at first but after reading the review on the HDTVtest site that found the exact same picture problems it seems to much of a coincidence

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom