Samsung UE40D7000 Recording BBC HD 3D

gamjgamj

Standard Member
I bought a good USB HDD as a PVR and tested it works fine.
I used it for timer recording of the 3D broadcast of the recent Strictly Come Dancing Final which was on the BBC HD channel (I wasn't able to be at home to see it live).
On playback I can't get it to play in 3D, whatever 3D mode I choose.
What am I doing wrong, or is the PVR recorder firmware dropping essential 3D information (or is the player dropping the 3D information)?

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
First thing's first, you DID record the BBC HD channel and not BBC 1 HD right?

If you recorded the latter then you can give up now, if it's the former then read on:

When playing the broadcast back in 2D it will be as a Side by Side (SBS) broadcast, so you'll be seeing the same image twice split vertically down the middle (like 2 player split screen on a game).

As long as you have this showing then you're halfway there. Next you need to go into Picture Settings, 3D settings and change the 3D mode to SBS (on a Samsung this is an image of 2 people next to each other (side by side)). Once this mode is selected the picture will change to being fuzzy (like you'd see it at the cinema before you put the glasses on) but not side by side anymore. All that remains is to stick the glasses on and you're away!

gamjgamj

Standard Member
Oh no, I had no idea that BBC 1HD was the wrong channel to use, how terribly confusing. My TV does have a channel called BBC HD but it only seemed to be for clips of old cross-channel BBC programmes in HD and it never even occurred to me to use it.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Keep an eye out though as they showed a dinosaur doc last weekend in 3D on the same channel and I imagine they'll do this more and more now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom