Samsung - UE40D5520 - 40" or 3D

silverpuma

Hi all, I'm looking at the Samsung - UE40D5520 - 40" and it sells around £500 but should I buy a 3D TV or wait until the 3D prices drop and the 3D experience improves as all new tech does?

Also is the Samsung - UE40D5520 - 40" a good choice. I watch moves in sky HD and Bly-Ray's but zero gaming. The one thing I do like is the thin depth of the Samsung and light weight as I'll be hanging it from my bedroom ceiling. So any other TV recommendations has to be this thin style like the samsung.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.........

vickster

Distinguished Member
I think only you can decide whether there is value in 3D given the amount of material. Perhaps ask in the 3D section, most of the films seem to be for kids, so if you don't have rugrats nor do gaming, then I would say right now it is debatable. For those reasons, 3D is of no interest to me. That said some of the 3D plasmas etc are better for 2D than the 2D equivalents, unfortunately they don't meet the thin and light criteria. Are you seriously hanging a TV from the ceiling? :eek: Won't you hit your head on it??

silverpuma

I think only you can decide whether there is value in 3D given the amount of material. Perhaps ask in the 3D section, most of the films seem to be for kids, so if you don't have rugrats nor do gaming, then I would say right now it is debatable. For those reasons, 3D is of no interest to me. That said some of the 3D plasmas etc are better for 2D than the 2D equivalents, unfortunately they don't meet the thin and light criteria. Are you seriously hanging a TV from the ceiling? :eek: Won't you hit your head on it??
Thanks and I'm inclined to agree. The TV will be hinged to swing down when in use and up flat against the ceiling when not.

newbie1980

personally I think it is too early to jump onto the 3D train. I am not convinced it will take off. Yes all the major manufacturer are pushing it, which means that a lot of the time, the best 2D picture is on a 3D capable set, but not always. The Samsung you mention is a good choice IMO.

russ331

Click here for Panasonic TXP42ST30 at £450 at Amazon.

Personally, I think it's an even better TV than the UE40D5520. Plus 3D. Plus lower price in this deal. Heavier to mount, but worth the effort. Weight 20Kg. Panel Depth 4cm.

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
The 40D5520 is £500 at Currys in the sale...I expect John Lewis will follow in the next day or two with 5 year warranty included

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom