• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung UE40C8000X - Picture goes black

Steveegll

Standard Member
I am having a problem with the following setup
Samsung UE40C8000X 3D television
Sky HD 1TB receiver
Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu Ray Player

The television and blu ray player are new.
The sky box is several months old and has never given any trouble

These units are connected with new 1.4a HDMI cables

On occasions, the TV screen suddenly goes black and we loose sound. No more than half a second later, picture and sound return. It is as if we have switched the TV to standby and back on again.
This happens while watching live tv, sky recordings and blu ray discs.

Connecting between sky and TV using scart lead appears OK.
The problem is also not apparent if the sky box and HDMI cables are removed and we watch freeview channels using standard aerial connections.

TV firmware is up to date

Sky TV are not aware of any incompatability issues.

Suggestions would be most welcome

Last edited:

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Its the blinking issue, there is a thread on it, use the search funtion and you'll find it. It should even be on the first page.

SteveAA

Standard Member
Just got the 46" version but still waiting for it to be installed.

I have noticed the threads about the blinking issue, however when looking through the manual I found this:

• If an external device such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver supporting a HDMI versions older than 1.4 is connected, the TV may operate abnormally (e.g. no screen display / no sound / annoying flicker / abnormal colour).

• If there is no sound after connecting an HDMI cable, check the HDMI version of the external device. If you suspect the version is older than 1.4, contact the provider of the device to confirm the HDMI version and request an upgrade.

It seems that this may be caused by the Sky box not being 1.4 compliant (don't think that it is even 1.3 compliant). It does not refer to the cables but the actual unit it is attached to.:(

This is from the series 8 Manual where it describes connecting unit's together using HDMI cables (Page 8).

I don't know if this is their get out from this issue, or if it can be resolved by a firmware update.

I will need to see how this goes as I am looking at connecting my Sky box to the TV through my HDMI 1.4 amp to see if I get this issue as the HDMI connection will be from the TV to the amp & not the Sky box directly.

I do not know if other people are still having this issue by routing this way but not sure what other options there are until this get's resolved. Not everyone has this issue so maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones.

I'll find out soon enough.

Steve

JRF455B

Standard Member
I have the same TV and the same problem. Can you tell me how you got on.

I do not have an HD amp, but I am considering upgrading my old Sony (10 years old) Home Cinema system buying a Samsung unit to get the benefits of brand compatibility. If your suggested fix worked, that would add to my justification for updating my old Sony unit.

Couple of things -

- Checked by Sky box and it is version 1.1. They must have a big warehouse full of units, as I just got my Sky HD box in December '10.

- I was recommended to replace the HDMI cable supplied with the Sky box, because the quality of cable supplied was not any good. This may be part of my problem, because I could have installed a more up to date HMDI cable, when the one that comes with the Sky box is down level - just swapped over to cable that came with Sky box and monitoring.

- Could there be any issue round quality of incoming signal to Sky box. Input1 on my Sky box is not as good as Input2 - I guess it is down to quality of coax cable or connections.

Anyway, keen to hear how you got on with your suggested solution - I am assuming no more further posts may mean it worked.

PS – I love the TV, it is just the backward compatibility problem that is annoying.

toddy28

Prominent Member
All sky boxes are hdmi 1.1 don't worry about it
The cable you got with sky will be fine to use

My sky box has a stronger sat signal on 1 then 2

I'm lucky that I don't have the blinking issue on my ue46c8000 so I think it must be a hardware issue with some of the tvs I would get it exchanged or repaired

UltiResis

Prominent Member
"I have noticed the threads about the blinking issue, however when looking through the manual I found this:

•If an external device such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver supporting a HDMI versions older than 1.4 is connected, the TV may operate abnormally (e.g. no screen display / no sound / annoying flicker / abnormal colour).
•If there is no sound after connecting an HDMI cable, check the HDMI version of the external device. If you suspect the version is older than 1.4, contact the provider of the device to confirm the HDMI version and request an upgrade.

It seems that this may be caused by the Sky box not being 1.4 compliant (don't think that it is even 1.3 compliant). It does not refer to the cables but the actual unit it is attached to.

This is from the series 8 Manual where it describes connecting unit's together using HDMI cables (Page 8)."

The blinking issue is nothing to do with cables or HDMI compatibility, it seems to be a fault with the design of the TV's as it happens even with more modern equipment connected via HDMI 1.4 that is fully up to date and compliant.

Samsung know about this problem as many people have reported it to them and so far they have done nothing about it as they have also done nothing about the 3d glasses going out of sync. Vote with your wallets and get your money refunded!!

billykwak

Standard Member
I have have only just joined this forum
I have had the same issues and finally gave up on Customer service
They still deny there is a problem despite me having received an e mail from their appointed service provider confirming in writing that they Samsung UK and Korea were aware of the problem (as of March)
It is down to a handshake between the components,(HDCP Handshake )

Do what I did , get the money back and get another make.
got no result with Samsung , but the retailer was very understanding

Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom