• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung UE40C6620 crashes on semi-colon in UPnP artist tag

jsryork

Standard Member
I have had a Samsung UE40C6620 TV for about a year, and I am very pleased with it.

I have a lot of CDs ripped to a server, and I want to play the music via the TV (and AV amplifier and speakers). I am using ASSET UPnP server on the server PC under Windows XP.

I found that I was not able to navigate to all the composers in my (largely classical) collection. There is no problem with my SoundBridge player or radio, or Songbird on a PC, doing the same search, so it is not a server issue. I spent a few hours tracking this down. I narrowed it down first to one composer, than to one track, and finally to the Artist tag. If the Artist tag of any song by that composer contains a semi-colon, then the TV will say 'Request cannot be completed. MEDIA PLAYER will return to the main screen', and goes back to MEDIA Player start screen.

It seems to be just the Artist tag that is affected; I can put semi-colons in the Composer or Title field and it is fine, it will navigate to and play the items fine.

In the short term I will bulk edit the tags on the music collection, but it is a bizarre thing, what ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom