Samsung UE40C5100 V's UE40C6000 100hz refresh rate v's 50hz refresh rate??

Buchailldana

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ive been looing at these TV's and dont have a clue if it's worth paying the extra £100 for the 100hz refresh rate on the C6000 compared to the 50hz refresh rate on the C5100.
The TV is not going to be used for gaming or anything like that.

Any help would be really helpful. Also do you think these models are a good choice for a 40"or is there better ones I should be looking at?

And does anybody know if I buy one of these TV's in the UK would it work ok in Ireland??

Thanks Damien

It's all about preference really...

I personally don't like 100hz because it gives everything a 'unreal' movement (almost to smooth)

Do you watch sport - if so, go for the 100hz if you have the cash

LED TVs are ok, the look slim and snazzy and use a bit less leccy, but they do have issues and edgelit ones aren't really worth the premium - look at normal LCDs like the Samsung 40C650 or Sonly 40EX503. The Panasonic 42G20 plasma is also an excellent performer

I assume the TV would work in Ireland, maybe the tuners are different? I'd call Richer Sounds or John Lewis in Belfast to check, should think they'd know

Do you watch sport - if so, go for the 100hz if you have the cash

LED TVs are ok, the look slim and snazzy and use a bit less leccy, but they do have issues and edgelit ones aren't really worth the premium - look at normal LCDs like the Samsung 40C650 or Sonly 40EX503. The Panasonic 42G20 plasma is also an excellent performer

I assume the TV would work in Ireland, maybe the tuners are different? I'd call Richer Sounds or John Lewis in Belfast to check, should think they'd know

Cheers for the replys guys.

Watch showjumping and rugby mainly. Its for the parents anyway so not for me. So you wouldnt recommend the C6000 then? I just want to get a decent TV for the parents for x-mas and dont want it to be a dissappointment.

Have you viewed in store? Best way to choose which you like :)

Yea I've viewed both the models in store and they seem fine to me. but it's just there seems to be so many cons about them n here. but I suppose that comes with everything and preference?? there seems to be this issue of "clouding" with them. is that common with all pictures or just certain ones?

Can get clouding or backlight bleed with any edgelit LED or indeed a normal LCD :)

Right I have been under the assumpion that the C5100 model was an older model than the C6100 but I have found out that it is actuall the other way round. Also both these models have been on the market for about 18ish months give or take. I thought they were much newer..
Anybody else have other suggestion on newer models that they would go for.

Are you sure? The C series came out in March or so afaik, the B series would be 18 months old :) Normally the 6 = 100hz, 5 = 50hz , the numbers at the end denote other features

Yea they have been out that long in Ireland anyways as was just speaking to someone from Currys over there about an hour ago. So hence this has sent me researching again. Hopefully I can find a model that I'm happy with before x-mas..
I may end up having to buy it in Ireland as they may not function propery through a normal ariel if bought here in the UK but can still research tho eh..!!

The UE40C5100 and UE40C5800 are supposed to have some sort of software that ups the refresh rate from the native 50 Hz when needed, but does it do it for gaming inputs, such as the 360 and PS3 over HDMI?

I'm very tempted by either of these models (the C5100 has in-built Freeview and the C5800 has Freeview HD), particularly as they can be bought for £550-650 at the moment, but I really wanted to go bigger than a 40 and I'm not keen on the position of the inputs on the back.

The UE40C5100 and UE40C5800 are supposed to have some sort of software that ups the refresh rate from the native 50 Hz when needed, but does it do it for gaming inputs, such as the 360 and PS3 over HDMI?

I'm very tempted by either of these models (the C5100 has in-built Freeview and the C5800 has Freeview HD), particularly as they can be bought for £550-650 at the moment, but I really wanted to go bigger than a 40 and I'm not keen on the position of the inputs on the back.

Have a look at this only £489 at the moment for the C5100

Samsung UE40C5100 40 FULL HD LED TV review cheap prices UE40C5100 40 FULL HD LED TV Samsung best buy discount online uk shop

That price has just bouced back up in the last hour or so, the £489 price was a deal that was on and ended about 16:30 today.. Should have mentioned it. Sorry..

Also, need to add postage for Pixmania - £20 IIRC - French company (part of DSG, i.e. Currys/PC World/Dixons)

I was looking to get the g20 panny,
But was put off by the buzzing problem, plus screen burn the amount of heat it gives out and a bit thirsty on the power.

I reckon in the new year I will go for the SAMSUNG UE40C6000

Saw it in currys and was impressed

Don't forget VAT goes up on the 4 Jan

Plenty of owners' threads on the LED edgelit Samsungs

Don't forget VAT goes up on the 4 Jan

Plenty of owners' threads on the LED edgelit Samsungs

Yes with that in mind...2.5p in the £...not much of an increase.
Anyway ...prices might come down, might not..but I'll take the risk

Yea they have been out that long in Ireland anyways as was just speaking to someone from Currys over there about an hour ago. So hence this has sent me researching again. Hopefully I can find a model that I'm happy with before x-mas..
I may end up having to buy it in Ireland as they may not function propery through a normal ariel if bought here in the UK but can still research tho eh..!!

yes,you would want to insure the tv will be able to pick up saorview, any tv that has freeview HD should be able to do this. but a tv with just freeview will not,
something to consider with everything else.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom