• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung UE40B7020W from John Lewis

Oggie

Distinguished Member
My Sony 32D3000 has gone bust so we are looking at getting Samsung UE40B7020W. Its mainly gonna be used for watching SD (freeview), playing ps3 + wii and movies.
Have read through this models thread and it seems like a good tv, also quite glad that dimming can be turned off in service menu as i heard this is the main problem with this tv.
Now would just like to find out if people think this tv would be good choice for my needs and i need to ask about JL price matching.
I see on RicherSounds its going for £1199.95 (normal 12 mnth guarantee) and £1319.90 (with 5 Year TV Guarantee). Now i have never done JL pricematch so would like to find out how do i go about it and what price from RS will they match ?

All your help and advise would be greatly appreciated :smashin:

Ray01

Standard Member
Yeah i'm also interested in knowing how JL price matches with RS products seen as how JL offers a free 5 year warranty on tvs.

chris_5252

Established Member
Just ring up your local store. They should match the standard price in RS. This if its in stock and the price is on display. Note that the free 5 year warranty offered by JL is not taken into consideration when price matching, as it is just part of their service. You just need to find the equivalent TV at a lower cost. So yea, they should match £1199.95 if all goes to plan.

Oggie

Distinguished Member
Just ring up your local store. They should match the standard price in RS. This if its in stock and the price is on display. Note that the free 5 year warranty offered by JL is not taken into consideration when price matching, as it is just part of their service. You just need to find the equivalent TV at a lower cost. So yea, they should match £1199.95 if all goes to plan.
:eek: So that means i could get it for £1199.95 ?
Big thank you Chris, top man:smashin:

Ray01

Standard Member

:eek: Ah crap.

ZX10Rich

Established Member
Hi I just got this tv price matched last week at john lewis. You shouldnt have any problems matching with richer sounds as there price is the same in store.

Oggie

Distinguished Member
Hi I just got this tv price matched last week at john lewis. You shouldnt have any problems matching with richer sounds as there price is the same in store.
Ah cheers mate, what you think of the tv so far :lease: Also have you turned off dimming in service menu ?
Thanks Rich :smashin:

ZX10Rich

Established Member
Ah cheers mate, what you think of the tv so far :lease: Also have you turned off dimming in service menu ?
Thanks Rich :smashin:

Overall Im very pleased with it, in a very dark room the backlight isnt perfectly uniform all over, but in normal veiwing the picture is excellent and blacks look stunning, far better than my previous sony w4000.
I havnt switched off dimming as suprisingly it seems very good ( i hated it on my series 6 samsung) and seems to add to the quality of picture. In game mode its not on anyway so doesnt effect my gaming which is were i would notice it. Blurays look amazing, far better than any tv ive seen before and ive had a good few lol. hope thats of some help

boxrick

Prominent Member
Ive recently had the pleasure ( if you would call it that! ) of testing this television. To be honest its pretty poor, the sound is terrible the loss of contrast from any angle other than straight on is massive and it seems to suffer from bad smearing / blur.
On a positive note its a nice looking television and is fairly sharp but watching a blu ray disk on it i was pretty unimpressed with this model especially considering for £300 less you can get a plasma which has more features and does *much* better with both freeview and blu ray disks. Id go as far as saying the le40b650 walks all over it for picture quality....

Take a look at the *Panasonic TXP42G10 plasma* it is much much better in every respect once you have purchased it you will not look back i can personally guarantee that, much better sound quality, much better motion handling, better blacks and built in freesat and saves you some cash! :thumbsup: Fantastic!

Last edited:

Oggie

Distinguished Member
Ive recently had the pleasure ( if you would call it that! ) of testing this television. To be honest its pretty poor, the sound is terrible the loss of contrast from any angle other than straight on is massive and it seems to suffer from bad smearing / blur.
On a positive note its a nice looking television and is fairly sharp but watching a blu ray disk on it i was pretty unimpressed with this model especially considering for £300 less you can get a plasma which has more features and does *much* better with both freeview and blu ray disks. Id go as far as saying the le40b650 walks all over it for picture quality....

Take a look at the *Panasonic TXP42G10 plasma* it is much much better in every respect once you have purchased it you will not look back i can personally guarantee that, much better sound quality, much better motion handling, better blacks and built in freesat and saves you some cash! :thumbsup: Fantastic!
Now i'm more confused. I have read many places that give it good marks
Samsung UE40B7020 TV review - from the experts at whathifi.com
TrustedReviews Shopping | Samsung Series 7 UE40B7020WW 40" LCD TV

Now i know its not perfect but with bit of configurations i heard it can be very good. Sound is not really a problem as i have surround sound ;)
What to do now :rolleyes::suicide:

boxrick

Prominent Member

Now i know its not perfect but with bit of configurations i heard it can be very good. Sound is not really a problem as i have surround sound ;)

Sorry if i have confused matters.. go get a look at the g10 in person if possible ( hey if your around the northeast im more than happy to demo mine! )
But the issues with motion blurring and contrast at angles cannot be fixed as this is a flaw with LCD tech moreso with this model than others ive seen, not a deal breaker but for £250 less 2" more and a better tv seems like a no brainer to me!

titanIQ

Established Member

Don't worry, you seem to have made your mind up about which TV to get and your choice is a good one, as is the G10 and any other well reviewed TV in this sector - you'll not notice much difference. Anyone who tells you otherwise has an agenda.

To clarify I have a Kuro LX5090 and a Panasonic 37PX60 and more recently a Samsung 46"7020.

Properly calibrated and fed a decent source, other than size, I would be happy with the picture of either, even the Panny and that's 3yrs old and only HD Ready.

For most viewers and that includes everyone who's seen my tvs they can't tell the difference and simply remark on the size or cool features - the picture is amazing on all.

Viewing angle on the 7020 is fine within reasonable tolerance and especially with normal day-to-day tv viewing.

I have a very large sofa (5m) and can be sat either end and not notice wash out.

Posting on an LCD forum and not only promoting but denigrating a 5 star set should always leave you suspicious. That's his review, you've posted 2 great reviews from established sources. I know which I'd be inclined to follow.

I've seen the G10 and it's a great tv and I'd be happy with either, but there's no need to be put off the 7020.

Best of luck with your decision.

Oggie

Distinguished Member
Thank you both, what will do is go to local Currys/Dixons and see if they have both sets. Think this is the best way, also i heard that John Lewis are good when it comes to returning tv's so i think even if i'm not happy with purchase i'll be able to swap :)
All your thoughts are appreciated indeed :smashin:

techaholic

Standard Member
I went into JL and Currys on the weekend to test the TV.

Have to admit, the picture on BlueRay is stunning, but anything else...its falls short of the mark. We watched SD for a while (Freeview) and the pic was weak, colours poor - and not realistic. Was very disappointed.

I've heard that the auto-dimming can't be switched off - other than toned down - double-check.

Other than that, the Sony W5500 or Z range might be better. The pic quality especially on SD was significantly better than the Samsung.

Oggie

Distinguished Member
I went into JL and Currys on the weekend to test the TV.

Have to admit, the picture on BlueRay is stunning, but anything else...its falls short of the mark. We watched SD for a while (Freeview) and the pic was weak, colours poor - and not realistic. Was very disappointed.

I've heard that the auto-dimming can't be switched off - other than toned down - double-check.

Other than that, the Sony W5500 or Z range might be better. The pic quality especially on SD was significantly better than the Samsung.
Had sony but after it died just under 2 years i'm not keen :suicide:
Did you try and play around with the settings, heard that most show rooms have it in dynamic/vivid mode......also almost sure dimming can be switched off in service menu :confused:

techaholic

Standard Member
Had sony but after it died just under 2 years i'm not keen :suicide:
Did you try and play around with the settings, heard that most show rooms have it in dynamic/vivid mode......also almost sure dimming can be switched off in service menu :confused:

I played around it with it a little - but you know the feeling you have when something just isn't right...that's what I had. I didn't check the service menu...but think, i might wait for the technology to improve before I make the purchase.

Hear what you say about the Sony - but the V5500 was product of the year..and the W5500 its replacement (albeit has some minor issue...face it, what TV doesn't?) - should follow in its footsteps.

Hey...at the end of the day...make the purchase that's right for you. Everyone is different!

agriff007

Standard Member
I've just bought the 46" version of this TV and I'm pretty happy with the picture but can't get lip sync correct thru my amp. Seems this is common with Samsung.

Oggie

Distinguished Member
I played around it with it a little - but you know the feeling you have when something just isn't right...that's what I had. I didn't check the service menu...but think, i might wait for the technology to improve before I make the purchase.

Hear what you say about the Sony - but the V5500 was product of the year..and the W5500 its replacement (albeit has some minor issue...face it, what TV doesn't?) - should follow in its footsteps.

Hey...at the end of the day...make the purchase that's right for you. Everyone is different!
Yeah gonna go and have look mate, thanks ;) Sony KDL-40Z4500 TV review - from the experts at whathifi.com
What about that one ?

titanIQ

Established Member
CE Dimming is defeatable in the service menu.

Freeview is great,better than my Panny and as good as the Kuro I have, but I seem to have a good signal.

Oggie

Distinguished Member

Ok been reading a bit about about G10, apperently SD is not good on it :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom