Samsung UE37Es6300 - VGA connection

killabyte

i've recently purchased a es6300 and noticed it does not have a VGA input...in the manual is says that the only way you can connect a pc/laptop would be by DVI... my current laptop does not have DVI, only VGA...

any ideas how i could connect my laptop to the TV? or would i need to buy a new laptop with HDMI out

killabyte

thanks for the reply... yep its dnla enabled and i can see my laptop to view/stream files but i am looking to connect my laptop to my TV so i can use my TV as a laptop monitor... i have been doing more research and people are saying i may need a VGA to DVI cable?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
That will only work if the DVI socket is DVI-I, not DVI-D. Have a look at the socket. If it has 4 large holes then it is analogue and will work. If they are blanked off, it will not.

You can get USB to DVI adapters for your laptop. About £40 and fine for desktop and even 720p movies. No good for gaming or anything above 1280 x 720 though.

killabyte

my TV is kinda weird, it says my DVI slot is my HDMI1 slot? :S does that mean the DVI is a HDMI?

killabyte

thanks, so it seems like need to buy a VGA to HDMI converter?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The adapter is pointless, it will only work on the tiny minority of monitors that support analogue over HDMI.

What you need is one of these: usb to hdmi converter | eBay DVI & HDMI are digital and VGA is analogue. You therefore need some sort of converter, not just a cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom