Samsung UE32EH5000 32 Inch LED LCD TV Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Mark Hodgkinson, 24th January 2013. If you’re on a budget and smart features, 3D and slim-line design are of no importance to you, then we can think of no better TV to cater for your needs on the market right now - all of which makes the Samsung UE32EH5000 a stonewall AVForums Best Buy.
Read the full review...

Thanks for the review, my only question really is, why is there a LAN port on here, does the TV have DLNA, or remote control capabilities?

Given the low latency but also some blur in rapid motion would you recommend it for gaming ?

Overall though this set looks to be an absolute steal.

Thanks for the review, my only question really is, why is there a LAN port on here, does the TV have DLNA, or remote control capabilities?

It's there for software updates only, there is no DLNA but not sure what you mean by 'remote control capabilities' - if you mean via an app, no it doesn't.

Given the low latency but also some blur in rapid motion would you recommend it for gaming ?

Overall though this set looks to be an absolute steal.

Yes I would but if you're a PC gamer and/or like to be very close you may pick up on the blur and it is a total steal.

Hi Mark, I bought one of these (40" version) for my front room recently and I have to say I concur with everything you say. Like you I've calibrated hundreds of TVs and have been disappointed with the black levels of LCD based TVs costing many hundreds of pounds more. Not so this TV. Great blacks and dynamic range. The greyscale dials in brilliantly. Not so good off axis which is a bit of an issue with our room layout, but I'm not grumbling. All in all it's a cracking little TV!

Mark, someone indicated that motion blur can vary depending on panel and could be improved via software update...any ideas how to check which panel is used (service menu?) and which panel is in the review unit?

Mark, someone indicated that motion blur can vary depending on panel and could be improved via software update...any ideas how to check which panel is used (service menu?) and which panel is in the review unit?

Hi Simba

Interesting but sorry it's no longer with me. I'm a bit dubious on the s/w update claims though.

I bought two of these TVs for my boys this Christmas, £299 from JL.

Really good TV.

One is being mainly used for PS3 and PC gaming. I've not noticed any motion blur at all with the PS3, and the PC display is crystal clear @1080P.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

Mark Hodgkinson said:
Hi Simba

Interesting but sorry it's no longer with me. I'm a bit dubious on the s/w update claims though.

Well I tell you now that doesn't work the sw update. I had the 40" eh5000 early last year and it was awful for motion blur worst I have seen it. Only good thing about it was how even the backlight was! They is a panel lottery going on with the series so hope you guys get lucky!

Picked up one of these as a gaming monitor. Be aware to rename the HDMI input to PC (you just have to select that name in the list of choices), you then get the 4:4:4 RGB mode active which makes all the 720p & 1080p games on console or PC look much sharper and more detailed than in movie mode, you won't go back after comparing the two at close quarters. You then use the standard picture preset and it can be dialled in to look as accurate as movie mode. You should use 50 sharpness to look the same as 0 sharpness in movie mode. I have a samsung panel i think from checking the service menu, it has some minor black smear but nothing to worry about, i have seen far worse on lcd, it does not affect the motion much and i sit at a desk using it. The motion blur seems the same as any lcd i have used without motion aids. I also have no uniformity issues. The shadow detail is also fine, I aimed for gamma at 2.4 and it matches this apart from the low end being at 2.2 which is good for the shadowy parts. I have looked at PC 1080p, PS3 720p, Wii U 1080p and in PC label 4:4:4 mode they look sublime. The sound is so good for a gaming monitor that i have no need for extra stereo speakers, very good bass. Just switch SRS tru-surround on and put the graphic equaliser settings all to max to get the clearest and best sound IMO. Can't believe how good this is at this price for a quality gaming screen at close quarters. Unless you hate motion blur which all lcd's will have anyway when gaming under the best input lag conditions, i only had 2 options - PC monitor with better lag and better motion but far worse image and no quality sound and a smaller screen or plasma which would start at 42" and have horrid looking motion on console games at 30fps and be too big for non 1080p gaming where the size would be less kind to 720p but otherwise be fine. Only thing I hate about using this screen is that 2d games are quite blurry but that is the only major negative for me and any lcd tv would look the same anyway.

Last edited:
Picked up one of these as a gaming monitor. Be aware to rename the HDMI input to PC (you just have to select that name in the list of choices), you then get the 4:4:4 RGB mode active which makes all the 720p & 1080p games on console or PC look much sharper and more detailed than in movie mode, you won't go back after comparing the two at close quarters. You then use the standard picture preset and it can be dialled in to look as accurate as movie mode. You should use 50 sharpness to look the same as 0 sharpness in movie mode. I have a samsung panel i think from checking the service menu, it has some minor black smear but nothing to worry about, i have seen far worse on lcd, it does not affect the motion much and i sit at a desk using it. The motion blur seems the same as any lcd i have used without motion aids. I also have no uniformity issues. The shadow detail is also fine, I aimed for gamma at 2.4 and it matches this apart from the low end being at 2.2 which is good for the shadowy parts. I have looked at PC 1080p, PS3 720p, Wii U 1080p and in PC label 4:4:4 mode they look sublime. The sound is so good for a gaming monitor that i have no need for extra stereo speakers, very good bass. Just switch SRS tru-surround on and put the graphic equaliser settings all to max to get the clearest and best sound IMO. Can't believe how good this is at this price for a quality gaming screen at close quarters. Unless you hate motion blur which all lcd's will have anyway when gaming under the best input lag conditions, i only had 2 options - PC monitor with better lag and better motion but far worse image and no quality sound and a smaller screen or plasma which would start at 42" and have horrid looking motion on console games at 30fps and be too big for non 1080p gaming where the size would be less kind to 720p but otherwise be fine. Only thing I hate about using this screen is that 2d games are quite blurry but that is the only major negative for me and any lcd tv would look the same anyway.

Thanks for your input but I don't quite understand your comments. You said many positives about the tv but finished by saying its no good for 2D videogames?
This tv is a 2D...are you confusing it with a 3D tv?

Thanks for your input but I don't quite understand your comments. You said many positives about the tv but finished by saying its no good for 2D videogames?
This tv is a 2D...are you confusing it with a 3D tv?

Hi, I mean 2d as in retro games that scroll left to right etc (like megadrive, snes old type games) as they scroll at a constant speed as you move left to right which highlights the constant blur of an lcd panel, plasma is much nicer as there is no blur. As for 3d viewpoint games (not 3dtv) games like saints row 3 or battlefield 3 as you twitch aim with the mouse at high speed blur it not a problem you don't notice it. I am perhaps being harsh about the 2d scrolling games as i am playing giana sisters on PC and it is pretty good but i have experience of plasma so that taints my view somewhat about lcd. Put it this way if you are fine with lcd with no motion compensation then you will have no problems with this tv. If on the other hand you are playing any 2d scrolling game on console at 30fps like trine 2 then the lcd motion is ideal as it will hide the horrid motion you would see on the plasma at this frame rate. Just be aware it's a panel lottery with these though i was lucky and got a samsung panel, not sure what the other types would be like for the black smear on motion etc. Hope this makes my comments clearer.

Last edited:
Hi, I mean 2d as in retro games that scroll left to right etc (like megadrive, snes old type games) as they scroll at a constant speed as you move left to right which highlights the constant blur of an lcd panel, plasma is much nicer as there is no blur. As for 3d viewpoint games (not 3dtv) games like saints row 3 or battlefield 3 as you twitch aim with the mouse at high speed blur it not a problem you don't notice it. I am perhaps being harsh about the 2d scrolling games as i am playing giana sisters on PC and it is pretty good but i have experience of plasma so that taints my view somewhat about lcd. Put it this way if you are fine with lcd with no motion compensation then you will have no problems with this tv. If on the other hand you are playing any 2d scrolling game on console at 30fps like trine 2 then the lcd motion is ideal as it will hide the horrid motion you would see on the plasma at this frame rate. Just be aware it's a panel lottery with these though i was lucky and got a samsung panel, not sure what the other types would be like for the black smear on motion etc. Hope this makes my comments clearer.

Yes, thanks for the explanation. I don't play many side scrollers but wanted to make sure it's ok for stuff like Far Cry 2, ACreedIII, Black Ops 2 etc...now I'm worried about the panel lottery. I'll have to do some research on that- perhaps the Samsung ones have specific serial numbers. Thx again for all you input- very helpful :smashin:

Bought a 40" to day really suprised how good the backlight on it is vs the es8000 i had late last year , no cloading no light bleed at all on it :thumbsup: this must be the best bargain tv in a long while payed 300 incl a samsung bd player :laugh: Dont regrett it one sec. Glad i read this review a few nights back best 300 i spend i a long while...

Use movie mode on it as the colours seems more natural in that mode vs natural and normal.

Interestingly, I ordered this TV for my sister-in-law's new apartment just before the review was published. JL price matched Richer Sound's £259.95 & included a 5-year warranty! :clap:

The TV was delivered last night. Looking forward to checking its performance this weekend! :)

Has anyone got any blu ray / PS3 settings for this screen? Am having severe judder issues watching Blu Rays on a "fat" 60GB PS3, the worst offender by far seems to be "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" where it is that bad it induces nausea (during the opening vertical pan from sky to city to field, it looks like the screen pauses and redraws inbetween each jerky frame, and the way that the playground roundabout spins around in the next scene looks very unnaturally video, like PC FMV from back in the days of Wing Commander 3/4).

It doesn't seem to make a difference if the PS3 has 24fps output switched off or on.

I've got a non-24fps compatible six year old Sony X-series in my living room, and whilst this also has slight judder on that same opening vertical pan, it's doesn't induce a sea-sickness type of sensation.

Last edited:
The review says that this has CEC. Can any owners confirm ? If yes, how do you enable it? No mention of Anynet or Cec in the manual and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to get Raspbmc working with it. It works OK on my Panny.

Thanks
S

Hi guys!

Does anyone have any settings for xbox360?

thanks a lot!

The review says that this has CEC. Can any owners confirm ? If yes, how do you enable it? No mention of Anynet or Cec in the manual and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to get Raspbmc working with it. It works OK on my Panny.

Thanks
S

The UE32EH5000 does NOT have Anynet+/CEC as stated in this review. Disappointing that Avforums allows such review statements without checking. I bought the TV largely on the strength of this review and this was a crucial feature for me.

Last edited:
If buying one of these, check the panel you receive. I bought from Richer Sounds and although I have managed to calibrate an acceptable picture for the bedroom, the AUO AMVA panel in mine has woeful viewing angles (we can get away with a narrower viewing angle for watching in bed). The Samsung SMVA panel is meant to be pretty good in this regard, so worth checking depending on your needs.

Last edited:
Epic bump but old bedroom TV has gone bang.

Seen this for £200 now.

Have a roku stick to go with it, anything better for the most ey before I buy?

As other members already pointed out, this TV does NOT have HDMI-CEC (Anynet+). I wonder if the author of the article just copy pastes from other related articles slightly changing the names and specs are he sees fit, but without any rigor whatsoever.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom