Samsung UE32D6530 Full HD in 3D?

pauld

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a Samsung UE32D6530 3D television. I read on this forum that when watching 3D, be it via a Blu Ray player or from Sky, and when playing a 3D game on the PS3, that the resolution is dropped from 1080.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1499153-samsung-d6530-series-led-part-2-a-16.html

I felt that that could well be true given that the description of the TV seems to have changed from "Open your eyes to the Full HD 1080p 3D experience" to "Open your eyes to an immersive 3D experience".

So I phoned Samsung. They told me that they can guarantee "110%" that the resolution of a 3D film or PS3 game is 1080 and does not drop down. But if that was the case, why would they have changed the description?

I'd be interested to hear from any experts on this forum on this matter.

Thank you,
Paul

I've heard similar about my UE40D6100 however I'm watching Sanctum at present and when I press info it says 1920x1080 which is obviously full HD - weird!

I believe the info just tells you the details of the HDMI input. It's not necessarily what the display is outputting (technically it is always outputting 1080p after scaling). The question is can you see a noticeable drop in resolution (in the form of jaggies). I suspect it might be easiest to see it on things like the movie titles and credits, or even the disc menu screen if that's in 3D?

@ArmitageShanks
When you say that technically the output is always in 1080p after scaling, what does that mean? Is it HD? Could that be why the Samsung person guaranteed that there was no drop in resolution when viewing 3D?
Thank you.

@ArmitageShanks
When you say that technically the output is always in 1080p after scaling, what does that mean? Is it HD?
The panel is always running at 1920x1080p (albeit the refresh rate can change). Whatever resolution you plug into the TV, it gets de-interlaced and scaled up to 1080p (sometimes with black borders etc) which is what you see. That doesn't mean what you are seeing is actually an HD image since this is dependent on the source (although the TV's scaler can sometimes do a bloody good job of scaling up SD content that looks close to HD). If you give the TV 1080p content, then, depending on your picture settings, it should do no scaling at all.

Could that be why the Samsung person guaranteed that there was no drop in resolution when viewing 3D?
I'm not sure - can you see any drop in resolution? There are a few threads with images that demonstrate this on certain D6xxx models, and the fact that Samsung have subtly dropped the "Full HD" moniker from their packaging and marketing material suggests that something's not right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom