Samsung UE**KU6400 Owners Thread

plittlefield

Novice Member
Is this the correct thread to talk about my experiences with 4K and HDR (or lack of it) through a Roku Streaming Stick on this TV?

Spec-Chum

Disney+ is now up and running and most films and programmes are in HDR10 and HD. Looking at the Disney+ website it seems that things will not be in UHD through the Samsung app. I have found dark scenes too dim (opening of the first Mandalorian episode for example) so have reluctantly turned on dynamic contrast to the low setting to compensate. I guess for a properly decent HDR image you need a Q series (or KS back in the day).

I find using dynamic contrast is essential for any HDR anyway on this set, as it's too washed out otherwise due to the lack of local dimming.

For SDR it's great, great contrast and colours, but for HDR it's somewhat lacking, sadly.

michaelmoravian

I find using dynamic contrast is essential for any HDR anyway on this set, as it's too washed out otherwise due to the lack of local dimming.

For SDR it's great, great contrast and colours, but for HDR it's somewhat lacking, sadly.
I agree. Without dynamic contrast on it is just about acceptable in a completely dark room, but when I replace this TV in a year or so I will definitely be looking for something brighter.

Spec-Chum

I agree. Without dynamic contrast on it is just about acceptable in a completely dark room, but when I replace this TV in a year or so I will definitely be looking for something brighter.
I opted for a Sony X900F 18 months or so ago now, 1000 nits brightness and full local dimming, massive step up on HDR.

I do still have my KU6400, but it's now the general purpose "family" TV, whereas my Sony is now my home cinema one.

plittlefield

Novice Member

What I'm struggling with is the fact that the Samsung test video files showing off 4K and HDR from a USB look stunning...

...however both the on board apps for Netflix and Plex, or a Roku Streaming Stick (that clearly passes the HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2) running the latest Plex app refuse to show anything like the Samsung test files for 4K HDR.

I've literally spent hundreds of hours trying to get source files or the TV settings correct and it's driving me insane.

Full HD SDR content using HEVC x265 is gorgeous...

...but 4K HDR is rubbish.

It must be me...

comments please!

Spec-Chum

What I'm struggling with is the fact that the Samsung test video files showing off 4K and HDR from a USB look stunning...

...however both the on board apps for Netflix and Plex, or a Roku Streaming Stick (that clearly passes the HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2) running the latest Plex app refuse to show anything like the Samsung test files for 4K HDR.

I've literally spent hundreds of hours trying to get source files or the TV settings correct and it's driving me insane.

Full HD SDR content using HEVC x265 is gorgeous...

...but 4K HDR is rubbish.

It must be me...

comments please!
Hi mate, I'm guessing the test file has intentional "pop", so really vivid colours and ridiculously bright HDR parts, so it shows the TV off in a showroom, like a peacock.

Actual HDR isn't like this, it's mastered to a 100 nit image, with the HDR being highlights, so is actually quite dark compared to what most people "prefer", unless you're a purist (I'm not, I like a bit of pop).

The only show I can think of right now that has any "pop" is Altered Carbon, with it's neon colours, try that maybe?

plittlefield

Novice Member
Hi mate, I'm guessing the test file has intentional "pop", so really vivid colours and ridiculously bright HDR parts, so it shows the TV off in a showroom, like a peacock.

Actual HDR isn't like this, it's mastered to a 100 nit image, with the HDR being highlights, so is actually quite dark compared to what most people "prefer", unless you're a purist (I'm not, I like a bit of pop).

The only show I can think of right now that has any "pop" is Altered Carbon, with it's neon colours, try that maybe?

The test files do pop but I've seen other TVs in Richer Sounds running non test videos showing 4K with HDR and they are the same great picture.

I'm not sure what's wrong or what I'm doing wrong but I'll give Altered Carbon a go tonight in a pitch black room.

Perhaps anyone can post or photo their settings during self isolation (what's this dynamic contrast setting?!) and some photos of their 4K HDR movie running?!

I've got Blade Runner 2049, Black Panther and Alien UHDs.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

plittlefield

Novice Member
Mine's all default except Dynamic contrast is on high, and color temp is warm. I don't recall changing anything else.

Wow, I changed loads on mine... including the UHD Colour setting for HDMI port 1.

I might factory reset and start again tonight before the Netflix Altered Carbon test.

Thanks.

I was thinking about changing my TV this year (I've had it 4 years) and jumping ship to another manufacturer. This would be at the same time as buying an AVR and Atmos speakers etc. However, in the current climate, it's not going to happen.

I'll try my Chromecast Ultra with some 4K tonight as well, which is on HDMI port 2... and I guess will need the Samsung TV UHD Colour setting setting on that port too.

Speaking of which, the Roku is connected to HDMI port 1... which I'm guessing is the only HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2 port?!

Paully

plittlefield

Novice Member
OK, so the results of tonight's tinkering...

I reset the picture settings for all sources and changed Dynamic Contrast to High, then Colour Tone to Warm1

The home screen of my Roku is now positively DAYGLOW but...

NETFLIX - Altered Carbon really "pops" in 4K HDR and is more of what I'd expect.

IPLAYER - Blue Planet II is very very nice indeed with better colours and contrast that before my tinkering.

PLEX - Blade Runner 2049 in 4K HDR is certainly better than it was last night but noticeable different (and seems to be 'less colourful') to the BD version. I know that this movie has a strange colour palette anyway which was deliberate by the director and cinematographer.

PLEX - Black Panther is better too, with the opening sequence having nice bright accents and you can pick out the individual stars and glowing dust.

So, overall - I am pleased that I can now actually see the HDR colour in action and it will convince me to continue with my UHD work on Plex.

Thank you to all who suggested and this is still a work in progress, but happier bunny in these sad times.

Kind regards,

Paully

michaelmoravian

plittlefield

Novice Member
For SDR, Movie preset but with Auto Motion off.
For HDR, Movie preset (which should put backlight and contrast to maximum when it receives a HDR signal) but with Auto Motion off and Dynamic Contrast on low.

Hello Michael,

I tried these settings last night and I think we have a WINNING FORMULA!

I am really surprised that the MOVIE preset makes such a difference but it does and I am kicking myself that I did not read the manual or do this before now...

...having said that, your suggestion of Auto Motion Plus to OFF is not good for me... I just cannot watch the picture fractionally jumping (for want of a better word) and I really really tried. I know that it 'smoothes' the picture slightly but the difference with it on is one of... well, smoothness! The camera moves are faultless.

So, these are my settings...

Daytime
-----------
Picture Mode = Natural

For broadcasted TV signals, slightly brighter and natural colours for the news and documentaries.

Nightime
------------
Picture Mode = Movie
Colour = 50
Auto Motion Plus = Auto
Dynamic Contrast = Low

Easier on the eye and fine for Plex and SDR movies.

4K HDR
-----------
Picture Mode = Movie
Colour = 60
Auto Motion Plus = Auto
Dynamic Contrast = High

Just right for something special and making the picture 'pop' a little bit.

I watched the first 15 minutes of Blade Runner 2049 and Black Panther and was VERY happy with the result.

It must be said... I watched these 4K HDR movies in a pitch black room.

So, thanks to everyone who suggested and I can now enjoy my 4K HDR TV properly!

Kind regards,

:)

Paully

PS: I found this page from Samsung which is a good explanation...
Adjust picture settings on your Samsung TV

michaelmoravian

Has anyone else got Disney plus? I am getting HDR but nothing in 4k. Is this a temporary thing during the pandemic because of lower bandwidth, or a problem with the app, or something in the TV settings?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Has anyone else got Disney plus? I am getting HDR but nothing in 4k. Is this a temporary thing during the pandemic because of lower bandwidth, or a problem with the app, or something in the TV settings?

Disney are currently capping their bandwidth in light of the covid-19 crisis and this means that you'll get reduced resolution and no Atmos via their Disney+ service.

Tonycv51

The app doesn't offer 4k on the ku it seems. I found a thread in the US and it wasn't clear if it was a mistake in the app or permanent. On a newer samsung a given film will show in 4k HDR in the menu, but only HD and HDR on the KU

On the KU 4k apps I use are Rakuten, netflix, prime. Google play movies (on YouTube or Google play) and Disney are only HD. On a Sony its Rakuten that's not 4k but the rest are. Ona roku 4k it's different again. Go figure...

Last edited:

michaelmoravian

Disney are currently capping their bandwidth in light of the covid-19 crisis and this means that you'll get reduced resolution and no Atmos via their Disney+ service.
Is that why it doesn't say UHD in the program information?
The app doesn't offer 4k on the ku it seems. I found a thread in the US and it wasn't clear if it was a mistake in the app or permanent. On a newer samsung a given film will show in 4k HDR in the menu, but only HD and HDR on the KU

On the KU 4k apps I use are Rakuten, netflix, prime. Google play movies (on YouTube or Google play) and Disney are only HD. On a Sony its Rakuten that's not 4k but the rest are. Go figure...
I have just tried Disney plus on my Xbox One S and it shows 4k. So it must be the Samsung app. At least there is a workaround.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The information you fet isn'nt in alignment with what you can access. I've an LG set and the app is indicating that the content is UHD with Atmos despite this not being available at this point in time. The only thing Disney have maintained is the HDR.

No idea as to the Samsung implimentation if the app and its abilities, but Disney are reducing both the resolution and the Atmos audio in association with the Disney+ service throughout the EU on all platforms.

dante01

Distinguished Member

NOTE: In light of the concerns expressed by government officials regarding the use of broadband services in this challenging time, we have instituted measures to lower bandwidth utilization, and in some circumstances streaming content in HD and UHD formats will be limited or unavailable. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Not an issue with Samsung TVs given their limited support for Atmos, but the same temporary bandwidth capping is also effecting the ability to access Atmos via the Disney+ service:

Until Disney lift their restrictions, you'll not be getting the audio or the video as advertised relative to the content you are accessing via the Disney+ service.

Last edited:

michaelmoravian

I understand all that, but on the Xbox it lists 4k in the information, and on the Samsung app it lists HD only, which suggests the app doesn't recognise the TV's 4k capabilities.

michaelmoravian

How do I disable the setting which makes the TV really darken when there is mostly black on the picture?
I don't think you can. It is just something I have got used to.​

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV