Samsung UE**HU8500 Owners thread

Since the TV's final software update (2400) I get extremely rare juddering on the motion setting's CLEAR setting when watching live sports or the soaps, Strictly, X-Factor, etc. When watching Countryfile, Doctor Who, and films, I get smooth movement and panning by setting it to CUSTOM and both sliders on +10. I always keep the Film Mode, Motion Lighting and Smart LED all set to OFF.

Will give that a go and see how I get on. Motion Lighting is that the LED Clear Motion setting under Motion Plus, or another setting?

Motion Lighting is under the picture mode Advanced Settings. Leave it off.

Quick couple of questions I've had this set since 2015 and recently had a couple of issues and wanted to see if people have had the same issue and whether it'd be worth upgrading to the SEK-3500 (or looks like there is a SEK-4500 coming out, but don't know if that'd be in the UK or not).

1) Judder. No matter which option I have on the Clear Motion setting I keep getting a horrible judder on the screen during certain scenes on TV. Perhaps judder isn't the right word, but everything moves unnaturally quickly. I have disabled Clear Motion and have also tried having it enabled but with everything set to zero and it still seems to happen.

2) HDMI-ARC seems to work inconsistently. This might be an issue with my soundbar (HTL9100), but often HDMI-ARC won't properly detect the sound bar so no sound will be sent through and I have to turn off the soundbar so that the TV defaults back to the TV speakers.

Anyone had similar issues in the past and know if the SEK is worth upgrading? I know a lot of people in this thread have upgraded to the SEK-3500 but for £200-£300 I am not sure what the benefits are.

Given the age of the tv I really wouldn’t spend any more on it with the upgrade kits. Unless you can get the 3500 for a cheap price.

Well todays the day I replace my Samsung 8500, the constant niggles lately have really frustrated me

What niggles are you having, I still have to use the original remote Andy press 1 to turn the tv on, apart from that no issues.

Motion issues meaning I have to keep resetting motion plus every 2-3 days being one.

What niggles are you having, I still have to use the original remote Andy press 1 to turn the tv on, apart from that no issues.
Sometimes doesn't turn on, screen goes black for 3-5 seconds frequently, sometimes completely restarts

I
Hi Guys, I purchased the HU8500 in 2014 upgraded to the sek3500 but now just took the plunge and ordered the Sony A8F Oled will i notice a huge difference between the 2? I should right? HU8500 was top of the range when i got it.

Cheers
I have just done the same thing today

You will notice a difference straight out of the box as the new screen is OLED. Darker blacks, better UHD processing, much better motion handling. I wish I could afford one. I'm thinking next year but the only concern I have with OLED screens are image retention & gaming speeds. I need to brush up on these concerns nearer to when buying a new TV. I'm sure they are much improved over Plasma.

You will notice a difference straight out of the box as the new screen is OLED. Darker blacks, better UHD processing, much better motion handling. I wish I could afford one. I'm thinking next year but the only concern I have with OLED screens are image retention & gaming speeds. I need to brush up on these concerns nearer to when buying a new TV. I'm sure they are much improved over Plasma.
Yeah I share the same concerns but dont want to risk another LCD with backlight bleed, so went for OLED

Don't suppose anyone has the HU8500 w/SEK-3500 and is able to hook up an iPad Pro 2018 to it via USB-C to HDMI successfully? I have the aforementioned setup but the SEK-3500 causes the screen to display 'No Signal'. The iPad is adamant its connected to 'Samsung' and it works when I hook up the old SEK-2500 to the screen. It also works to connect the IPP with adapter to the works LG 4k TV and various 1080p screens I have at home.

I'm currently in talks with Samsung support but its slow going. First they told me Apple doesn't talk to Android! Then they told me to reset everything. Now they are saying about a remote session to rewrite the EDID, which at least seems a little more sensible.

If anyone has it working, or has a mate with an IPP they can test it with, I'd be very grateful!

Yup, with my HU8500/SEK3500 not playing nicely with Apple TV (2-3 second black screens when switching modes / sometimes just randomly), and - a really annoying quirk that if watching Apple TV and the TV switches off (idle or sleep timer) when turning on reverts to HDMI1 (Virgin TiVo) but in the wrong colourspace, so everything is super-boosted, and - having just received a nice PPI payment that I'm cashing in today - I am another who believes their day is done, and looking at getting a new Q9FN...

Cannot really be bothered to sell the screen, so - think I will get JL to take that away for £15, and just keep the OCBs just on the off-chance someone wants to buy them, or - to use them as paperweights.

Still (before having the Q9FN in my room) a cracking picture, minus the foibles mentioned above - will also feel strange going back to a flatscreen after having a curved for so long, but - the Q8C just doesn't feel right, not when I can afford to go to TOTL.

Hello, how are you? I would like to know if any of you have the photos of the service menu of the un65hu8500 and the sek-3500U for comparison which I have here

menu mute+1-8-2 power/advanced 0000

thanks you

spread spectrum

MRT option

Attachments

• spread spectrum.jpg
    spread spectrum.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 103
  • MRT option.jpg
    MRT option.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 110
Yup, with my HU8500/SEK3500 not playing nicely with Apple TV (2-3 second black screens when switching modes / sometimes just randomly), and - a really annoying quirk that if watching Apple TV and the TV switches off (idle or sleep timer) when turning on reverts to HDMI1 (Virgin TiVo) but in the wrong colourspace, so everything is super-boosted, and - having just received a nice PPI payment that I'm cashing in today - I am another who believes their day is done, and looking at getting a new Q9FN...

Cannot really be bothered to sell the screen, so - think I will get JL to take that away for £15, and just keep the OCBs just on the off-chance someone wants to buy them, or - to use them as paperweights.

Still (before having the Q9FN in my room) a cracking picture, minus the foibles mentioned above - will also feel strange going back to a flatscreen after having a curved for so long, but - the Q8C just doesn't feel right, not when I can afford to go to TOTL.
Ahh this thread brings back memories, I have just upgraded my 8500 to a 55" Sony A9G, suffered with the random black screen long enough, will never by Samsung again

I've just got rid of my 55" UE8500. It served me well (apart from continual motion problems where I had to keep switching between motion settings to get it to stop) for the past 5 or so years but I've made a concerted effort to not buy Samsung video or audio products again after buying one of their curved soundbars 5 years ago and buying 2 of their wifi speakers (at £170 each ) that were supposed to work as rear surrounds using their app, but never worked. And then spending a fortune on their 1st generation Atmos soundbar that suffered continual sub disconnects with very poor customer service. My new tv is being delivered on monday and it's a Sony. My replacement soundbar is a Yamaha. I'll keep my Sammy phone as at least that hasn't let me down...yet. So apart from that Sammy can go and do one!

I've just got rid of my 55" UE8500. It served me well (apart from continual motion problems where I had to keep switching between motion settings to get it to stop) for the past 5 or so years but I've made a concerted effort to not buy Samsung video or audio products again...

I've had my UE55HU7500 (UK model) for just over 5 years and, like you, I continually have to change the motion settings depending on whether watching a film or a soap. When this finally gives up the ghost I'll get myself a Sony too as their motion is rated as the best. But am I right in thinking that no high end TV's today have the "skin tone" setting that I do love on my Sammy HU7500? This adjustment is very effective at toning down over-red skin tones.

I've just got rid of my 55" UE8500. It served me well (apart from continual motion problems where I had to keep switching between motion settings to get it to stop) for the past 5 or so years but I've made a concerted effort to not buy Samsung video or audio products again after buying one of their curved soundbars 5 years ago and buying 2 of their wifi speakers (at £170 each ) that were supposed to work as rear surrounds using their app, but never worked. And then spending a fortune on their 1st generation Atmos soundbar that suffered continual sub disconnects with very poor customer service. My new tv is being delivered on monday and it's a Sony. My replacement soundbar is a Yamaha. I'll keep my Sammy phone as at least that hasn't let me down...yet. So apart from that Sammy can go and do one!
Yeah, agree I find sony motion to be superior in every way, no juddering in movies while maintaining a natural look

I've had my UE55HU7500 (UK model) for just over 5 years and, like you, I continually have to change the motion settings depending on whether watching a film or a soap. When this finally gives up the ghost I'll get myself a Sony too as their motion is rated as the best. But am I right in thinking that no high end TV's today have the "skin tone" setting that I do love on my Sammy HU7500? This adjustment is very effective at toning down over-red skin tones.

To be honest I was more than happy with my Sammy's PQ, especially after calibration. It was just the motion judder that would kick in every other day or so. I got fed up with having to go into the TVs picture settings and changing from clear to off, then back to clear again to stop it. Everything else about that TV was great. My new Sony arrives on monday so I've pinched our 20" bedroom telly and set it up in our front room so we can watch something over the weekend. Going from a 55 to a 20 inch telly is a bit of a shock. And guess what. The bedroom telly is a sammy. That'll have to go as well in time.
Good thing is on monday once I've installed our new 65" Sony its going to blow us away.

@DemonAV - Which Sony model are you getting? I'll be interested to see your comments about how the two TVs compare. Good luck with your new telly!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom