Samsung UE**HU8500 Owners thread

Ratcliffe83

Ex Member
Reaction score
Seeing as other TV's have dedicated threads, thought I would start one on Samsungs 2014 Flagship model.

Just put in my order today for a 55" Model from currys. Managed to haggle a touch on the price to £2500 with a barter session with the manager :) Being delivered Saturday so counting down the hours!! Will be using Steve Withers reccomended settings as a base point. Excited to experience 4K via Netflix and Samsungs UHD Player :)

Got mine coming Wednesday 16th from JL along with. The 751 soundbar/sub and a 7500 bluray player although I thought in theory there's no need for an upscaling player as obviously the tv does it's own upscaling. when it was on test by one of the review sites they stated that there was an improved picture quality as if they worked hand in hand

Deffo sounds plausible!! At the moment my xbox one controls bluray playback but I quite like the idea of an oppo 103 to take over the reigns IF native 4K bluray is still some way off.

Post up your first impressions if it's not too much trouble :)

Got mine yesterday from Richer Sounds...Very impressed with the set so far and 4k looks good, I have used settings by Steve however can not find BBC iPlayer on samsung apps....

Last edited:
Have you tried netflix 4K yet Dave?

Had a quick look at House of Cards season 2 and picture looked good but am unsure what else Netflix has on offer for 4k viewing

Couple of documentaries I believe. Does the picture look noticeably better over a 1080P picture?

Yeah without doubt the upscaling is very very good.... I am just watching the footie on tonight in football mode and the picture is amazing

Can't wait mate!!!

Just ordered a wall bracket from Samsung :) Straight on the wall when it arrives :)

Yeah was thinking about wall mounting it however looks good in the corner of my room, still trying to get to grips with all the menus. Only disappointment is not being able to find BBC iPlayer so will be interesting to see if others have the same issue as I guess this may be a Samsung software issue

Which wall bracket have you ordered? I think google is failing me today. I am struggling to find one and not sure my existing one will be suitable.

WMN3000BX :)

I phoned samsung and asked which was suitable. I was told the TV will sit prouder than 20mm due to the nature of the curve, but with the supplied spacers with TV, the Samsung WMN3000BX is fine. It's a Vesa 400x400

Well I'm thinking I might be ok then. I have a wmn250 and wmn350 in the house so hopefully it won't be difficult to switch over. I'm using the wmn250 with 55" es8000 now and the hu8500 is replacing that. I'm using the wmn350 with a 46" f8000 upstairs and tbh honest it seems like it's exactly the same as the wmn250. I had someone come in and install the downstairs one for me, but when I saw that it really did take all of 10 minutes to put up I did the upstairs one myself.
I can't wait to play tomorrow night.

WMN350 will be fine :) The 350 is a revised version of the 250 I'm led to believe. Very much as 3000 is a 2000 revision

I'd love to know what kind of output resolutions and refresh rates you can push from a PC to an HDMI 2.0 socket on this thing. 4k60? 1080p120? Anything in between? If any of you have an opportunity to test please do!

Recent AMD (and probably nVidia?) GPUs support the necessary HDMI speed/bandwidth for 4k60, but they do not meet the HDMI 2.0 standard. So the card can actually do 4k60, the TV can take 4k60, but the standard doesn't match up. I cannot find any firm answer on compatibility across the whole of the internet, so you HU8500 owners are my only hope :)

Thanks

First Impressions! Best picture I've seen to date deep black blacks, vibrant colours with natural skin tones like watching a good 1080 from a distance if that makes sense!? but you can sit less than 6ft and still have that clarity to the image . Really looked but can't see any banding clouding or light bleed, with the out the box settings.Sounds got a bit more punch than normal couple of small sub woofers in the set up I believe but no real thump in explosions etc ( still considering a f850 sound bar or Sonos setup )
Settings I,m using "Movie" only changed from warm2 >>> standard for my preference everything else as is
One connect box makes a bit of a constant hum fan cooling I guess old ones used to get hot this ones running still cool after6-7 hours.
Gent mentioned no BBC iplayer app , same here at the moment, Netflix 4k house of cards didn't seem that special, or is the upscaling of 1080 material that good? That it was just much harder for me to differenciate
Opinion on the curve I like it! It's very subtle on the eye and adds something helps too I think on a wide screen to stop the far edges washing out if your sat off centre.
Just my few thoughts look forward to others good or bad!

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Worktolivelife,
congrats on your new 4K tv - sounds good so far - if you don't mind posting your findings with night viewing as far as clouding and flash/corner light leaks ect - not sure if i am willing to take the leap with an LED panel, even if its 4K, as i am used to plasmas and currently thinking about bagging a ZT65.
Cheers
saarnold

Hi saarnold it's been like night viewing all day had the curtains shut since about dinner time :) the panel really does look black black! With the SMART LED option off in the extreme corners there is some very slight discolouration I would call it rather than extensive light bleed but no banding or other clouding over the entire panal to my eye, but with the SMART LED option on low I'm talking deep blacks even in the corners and that's with white writing detail on the screen too so it's capable of giving the deep black screen yet the white dynamic contrast was still there the cinema black bars were equally effective when watching a movie

I'm loving mine too. Fiddling with settings and things now but picture quality was pretty damn good from the start. 3D is superb!! All my niggles about 3D on the previous models are gone.
If you search for moving art on netflix you can get some sample content that looks really good.

any pictures guys stop teasing with all the talk
side on would be great too :smashin:

Will post Saturday.....hanging proudly from the wall :)

ImageUploadedByAVForums1397679156.196714.jpg

The tv is level...I promise! It's me who can't take a good picture.

Still have a lot of cleaning up to do. And the lights are not properly done either. Waiting for some new tape to arrive before I do everything properly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom