Samsung UE**HU8500 Owners thread

TomMc

Hoping someone can help me, so I've the hu8500 along with the K8500 4k player with sek 3500. I've went and got myself the damson s-series atmos kit but not getting atmos. I've got it set up to bitstream both TV and player but no atmos. Trying ghost in a shell which has atmos but only getting true HD or something like that.

Cheers

simonpj145

Standard Member
Hi I hope it’s ok to ask this on this thread, let me know if I need to create a new thread. I’m trying to get my tv/receiver setup correct having just gone up to Sky Q.

My receiver is a Denon AVR X3300 W.

As my tv is older, to get 4K on Sky Q I’ve had to connect the receiver to HDMI4 as this is HDCP enabled, but means I’ve no longer got ARC (which sits with HDMI3). I have a UHD Blu-ray player so can’t bypass the receiver.

No problem I thought, and connected the digital optical output to the TV optical input on the receiver.

But now I can’t get TV audio (needed for Netflix etc) to the receiver. The closest I’ve been able to get is that the TV speakers come in for smart tv and the receiver covers audio for everything else.

Settings are:
Receiver - HDMI control off (only way to switch ARC off), input - Opt 1
TV - TV Speaker

The other downside is that the tv remote no longer controls the receiver as tv doesn’t know its there. If I put HDMI control on at the receiver on I don’t get any sound at all from the tv unless I manually switch to tv speakers.

I hope someone can help, it’s quite a compromise at the moment but is the only way I’ve found to get it running.

I feel like I’m missing something because the optical cable is obviously not having any effect. If I’m not doing anything wrong and my only other solution is to replace the OneConnect box, prices and recommendations would be welcomed.

nabob

Hi I hope it’s ok to ask this on this thread, let me know if I need to create a new thread. I’m trying to get my tv/receiver setup correct having just gone up to Sky Q.

My receiver is a Denon AVR X3300 W.

As my tv is older, to get 4K on Sky Q I’ve had to connect the receiver to HDMI4 as this is HDCP enabled, but means I’ve no longer got ARC (which sits with HDMI3). I have a UHD Blu-ray player so can’t bypass the receiver.

No problem I thought, and connected the digital optical output to the TV optical input on the receiver.

But now I can’t get TV audio (needed for Netflix etc) to the receiver. The closest I’ve been able to get is that the TV speakers come in for smart tv and the receiver covers audio for everything else.

Settings are:
Receiver - HDMI control off (only way to switch ARC off), input - Opt 1
TV - TV Speaker

The other downside is that the tv remote no longer controls the receiver as tv doesn’t know its there. If I put HDMI control on at the receiver on I don’t get any sound at all from the tv unless I manually switch to tv speakers.

I hope someone can help, it’s quite a compromise at the moment but is the only way I’ve found to get it running.

I feel like I’m missing something because the optical cable is obviously not having any effect. If I’m not doing anything wrong and my only other solution is to replace the OneConnect box, prices and recommendations would be welcomed.
This should be a fairly straight forward issue with an easy resolution. You should be able to configure the AVR to accept the Optical input for audio. I don't have that particular receiver but on mine I select the input that the optical is associated with and there is an option for the audio to be HDMI or Optical.

You almost certainly have more than one Optical and they are each associated with a particular input. Have a look at pages 182 - 183 of the owners manual.

Last edited:

simonpj145

Standard Member
Hi thanks for the reply. I’ll have another play tomorrow but I am sure I’ve already done that. Connection is to Optical 1, and the input is set to Opt1 only and not HDMI. But when I select Optical as the output on the tv I get nothing. Maybe I’ll connect to Optical 2 and see if that works

Hi. Hope it's ok to ask this type of question on the forum. I'm thinking of upgrading to 2018 Samsung Q9 and put my Sammy UE55HU8500 with the SEK-3500 ( & original SEK-2500 ) one connect boxes up for sale. Any idea what would be a fair price to ask ? Excellent condition, no marks, scratches etc. Purchased with 5 year guarantee from Currys end March 2015.
( sensible suggestions please !! )

Crunchie

I would stick with the 8500. I bought the 55" Q9 (£2999 Samsung direct) to replace my 2014 55" HU7500 but the Q9 picture is just too processed, even with everything "off". The colours are too red and skin tones are wrong. You cannot adjust the hues of the primary and secondary colours so it's impossible to get it to look natural. I had the new Q9 boxed up again after just one day of trying to get it to look as 'realistic" as the HU7500. Plus, depite reviews, the motion is still problematic. And the ambient wallpaper idea is pathetic. I would try a Sony XF9005 if I were you and save yourself a lot of cash.

@Crunchie. Thanks for the advice, I've read varying reviews on this tv which were mostly favourable but for the price I'd expect it to be near perfect out of the box and by your experience that's not the case. I'm considering oled as well having never owned one but the LG C8 & Sony A1 or A8 seem to have good reviews and the Sony especially apparently deals with motion particularly well. Depending on price I may well hang on to my 8500 as it's been a great set and relocate it to the bedroom! Thanks again for your comments, there's no substitute for trying these things out in your own home.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Hi. Hope it's ok to ask this type of question on the forum. I'm thinking of upgrading to 2018 Samsung Q9 and put my Sammy UE55HU8500 with the SEK-3500 ( & original SEK-2500 ) one connect boxes up for sale. Any idea what would be a fair price to ask ? Excellent condition, no marks, scratches etc. Purchased with 5 year guarantee from Currys end March 2015.
( sensible suggestions please !! )
Probably £250? It’s quite shocking how low technology falls in price so quickly.

Jonny76

Will this TV play the world cup BBC1 iplayer in UHD?

Ive been searching for a while but just cant find the UHD options so assuming its not compatible with the beeps UHD broadcasting formats?..

Stuall

Hi Guys, I purchased the HU8500 in 2014 upgraded to the sek3500 but now just took the plunge and ordered the Sony A8F Oled will i notice a huge difference between the 2? I should right? HU8500 was top of the range when i got it.

Cheers

ray0414

Hi Guys, I purchased the HU8500 in 2014 upgraded to the sek3500 but now just took the plunge and ordered the Sony A8F Oled will i notice a huge difference between the 2? I should right? HU8500 was top of the range when i got it.

Cheers

Should be a huge difference there.

Migman

Cheers
Hmm, just how "real" can a TV picture be? I suppose there is a limit to human perception, i think mine has been reached with the HU8500 + SEK3500, yours, on the other hand, may still have a way to go.
When you get the Sony, try to compare the picture quality, and tell us, honestly, how much better the picture is.

nabob

I have the same combination including the SEK3500. I have considered upgrading and had a look at a couple of LG OLEDS that were on sale. However, form factor is a big issue for me. I have the TV wall mounted with the cable buried in the wall and the SEK3500 hidden behind my centre speaker on an Atmos setup. The LG's that i looked at all had a hugh separate sound bar with the HDMI connectors integrated into the sound bar. I don't have the space or the need for that sound bar.

gbdavisd

moving house and may be a better configuration to have a 55 rather than my current UE65HU8500 65' and wall mount. Seen some deals on LG B7 OLEDs which are tempting. Question though, is there a market for a 65' curved with SEK3500 or are they going for pennies now..

Jacko007

Probably £250? It’s quite shocking how low technology falls in price so quickly.

I think the sek-3500 goes for nearly that on its own doesn’t it? Certainly no less than £160. Ive got a 65” l’m changing for a C8. How much for a 65” with a 3500 or with the irginal one connect?

Last edited:

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Anyone got the 55" TV with the SEK3500 and have upgraded their PS4 to a PS4 Pro?
If so is there a noticable difference between the PS4 & the Pro with the TV and the SEK3500?
Wondering if upgrading my PS4 to a pro is worth it with this combination?

Thanks.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I think the sek-3500 goes for nearly that on its own doesn’t it? Ertainly no less than £160. Ive got a 65” l’m changing for a C8. How much for a 65” with a 3500 or with the irginal one connect?
Not sure anymore. One was listed on this site recently and didn't get much interest I believe.
It's a very old TV as technology is concerned so the prices are very low now.

gbdavisd

meh! i'll keep my 65 while its in warranty with the SEK3500 rather than sell if for peanuts now...

Jacko007

Genuinely appreciate the comments re valuation. Just for info, well known auction site has 3500’s for £300+ and 55” for £700-800. Just letting people know if they need to sell before upgrading. Obviously don’t know if those prices reflect actual sale prices.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Genuinely appreciate the comments re valuation. Just for info, well known auction site has 3500’s for £300+ and 55” for £700-800. Just letting people know if they need to sell before upgrading. Obviously don’t know if those prices reflect actual sale prices.
There is no way on earth you will get £700 for a 55” HU8500.

You need to look at completed listings not the chancers trying to sell. £350 is what they have sold for recently.

pummra

Quick couple of questions I've had this set since 2015 and recently had a couple of issues and wanted to see if people have had the same issue and whether it'd be worth upgrading to the SEK-3500 (or looks like there is a SEK-4500 coming out, but don't know if that'd be in the UK or not).

1) Judder. No matter which option I have on the Clear Motion setting I keep getting a horrible judder on the screen during certain scenes on TV. Perhaps judder isn't the right word, but everything moves unnaturally quickly. I have disabled Clear Motion and have also tried having it enabled but with everything set to zero and it still seems to happen.

2) HDMI-ARC seems to work inconsistently. This might be an issue with my soundbar (HTL9100), but often HDMI-ARC won't properly detect the sound bar so no sound will be sent through and I have to turn off the soundbar so that the TV defaults back to the TV speakers.

Anyone had similar issues in the past and know if the SEK is worth upgrading? I know a lot of people in this thread have upgraded to the SEK-3500 but for £200-£300 I am not sure what the benefits are.

Crunchie

Quick couple of questions I've had this set since 2015 and recently had a couple of issues and wanted to see if people have had the same issue and whether it'd be worth upgrading to the SEK-3500 (or looks like there is a SEK-4500 coming out, but don't know if that'd be in the UK or not).

1) Judder. No matter which option I have on the Clear Motion setting I keep getting a horrible judder on the screen during certain scenes on TV. Perhaps judder isn't the right word, but everything moves unnaturally quickly. I have disabled Clear Motion and have also tried having it enabled but with everything set to zero and it still seems to happen.

2) HDMI-ARC seems to work inconsistently. This might be an issue with my soundbar (HTL9100), but often HDMI-ARC won't properly detect the sound bar so no sound will be sent through and I have to turn off the soundbar so that the TV defaults back to the TV speakers.

Anyone had similar issues in the past and know if the SEK is worth upgrading? I know a lot of people in this thread have upgraded to the SEK-3500 but for £200-£300 I am not sure what the benefits are.

Since the TV's final software update (2400) I get extremely rare juddering on the motion setting's CLEAR setting when watching live sports or the soaps, Strictly, X-Factor, etc. When watching Countryfile, Doctor Who, and films, I get smooth movement and panning by setting it to CUSTOM and both sliders on +10. I always keep the Film Mode, Motion Lighting and Smart LED all set to OFF.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett