samsung UE**F6670 - UE**F6740 owners thread.

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Silverblack, Mar 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Hey guys noticed this screen on currys looks absolutely stunning from the pictures, price isn't to bad either just wondered what people's thoughts on it was.

Looks really slick and also like the table stand instead of the quad foot stand samsung like using.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. AmbientMike

AmbientMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very tempted on this model from what little information I can find. Doesn't appear to be in store yet and I can't find any reviews online to date.

I'm quite hopeful for this model. It's not got the 4-pronged stand that the current gen of Samsungs have which will keep the missus happy and should have enough features to keep me happy.

As long as the active 3D is OK (not a feature I will use a lot of but the Panasonic's are now only using passive 3D and I can't stand it).

I just hope that the DLNA streaming is good as I hear Samsung's don't play well with MKV over DLNA and I would really like it to do that natively rather than need another box for it.

The 600Hz motion rate should be quite nice too.

Need to see it in store soon...

3. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    All i can say is wow!!! this model is simply gorgeous, i was in currys today and one of the guys working there was literally unboxing a 40". It really is a nice tv so much so that i may save a couple of hundred and go for that over the f7000.

The styling of this tv in the flesh is very classy and minimal it has a metal trim going around the bezel whilst the actual bezel colour is black and the square stand is metal as is the stalk, it also comes with too remotes and 2 pairs of glasses.

3 usb inputs and four hdmis aswell as a scart socket which doesn't require breakout cables. It was also very sturdy with no wobbling and to be honest i can't say anything bad about it even got to play around with it a little it also has micro dimming and black optimiser.

Those features aren't present on the f6400, and f6500.

The guy said that it's a currys exclusive until august, it's a shame that JL hasn't got them as i would have jumped on it straight away. But then i might go for it and pay for one of there warranties.

Definately worth a check and it's even better than the online pictures to.:smashin:

4. AmbientMike

AmbientMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear that they have at least one of the models in store. I'm often in Currys so hopefully they'll have one in when I'm there next. I've been looking for the right screen for a while now and I'm banking on this one not to let me down

5. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    They only had 40" in store with the 46" which i'm after in there warehouse, really is worth having a look if you can. I saw it in the high street kensington branch.

6. AmbientMike

AmbientMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I too would be after the 46" and will keep nipping into Currys as and when I can to get a sight of it.

The lack of a big surround that most screens used to have means that replacing my 37" Panasonic with a new 40" screen would actually make it look smaller in the same place.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  7. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Most definately, nice as the 40" was it looked like a 32" as the bezels get smaller the tvs just look like they shrink.

8. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    So just an update, i was tv searching today and went to peterjones and to my surprise they happened to have the f8000, the f7000 and a samsung ue466740.

I was going to buy the f7000 but a few things stood out to me which i didn't really like the first is the stand doesn't swivel, and second i just prefered the styling of the 6740 better.

One thing i will say and that is the f7000 has a breathtaking picture the motion is very impressive i watched a few movies from usb and they played so fluently and clear i also tried the same movies off the usb on the f6740 and although the f7000 is better to my eyes i was very impressed with the picture on the f6740 also.

Although it doesn't have the ultra clear panel it does have very good sharpness and alot of detail was brought to the fore. It was a tough decision as i was bouncing between both the f7000 and the f6740 and in the end i went for the f6740.

The differences between this and the f6670 is that the f6670 has a silver table top stand and the f6740 has a gunmetal grey type of colour and i think it's also supposed to be little bit better specced the salesman said but they both look identical to me.

I also feel that with the extra depth on the f6740 the uniformity and chances of clouding and backlight bleed will be minimal but overall i'm happy.

It really is a looker and suits my minimalist style, i'm sheduled for a next wednesday delivery and i will do a mini review with pics.

9. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I'm keeping my eye on the Samsung F6740 too, as it looks like a good value option and for me, is the best looking panel/stand combo, as the rest seem to have gone for silver colour or wide stands which wouldn't suit for me.

Ninjafoot, will look forward to your review, especially on any clouding issues in pitch black. Just wish this tv was available right now from JL so I can get it before the 28 days on my ES5500 runs out.

10. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    I'm not going to look directly for problems but if theres no clouding or backlight bleed that will be a bonus.

Funny thing is they happened to have a 46" in store and i wanted to take it home with me it's just they were saying something along the lines of they can't call a cab service to take me home from the store.

I'd have to get a black cab which would cost alot more than i would be willing to spend.

Don't get me wrong the f7000 and f8000 are stunning looking tvs i just need to have the option to swivel and i find the styling to be more understated and sleek as opposed to the bling bling shiny look... the f6740 caught my eye straight away.

11. AmbientMike

AmbientMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so John Lewis has the Samsung UE46F6740 and Currys has (or will have) the SAMSUNG UE46F6670 both at the same price of £1200 and of course JL gives you a crazy warranty for free.

Any ideas what the main differences are between the two are as I can't see anything.

Also does anyone have any experience of MKV via DLNA on a Samsung TV? I have only heard one person say that it didn't work at all but worked fine via USB and I would really like it to work. I'm guessing there have been many upgrades to the firmwares since i read that...

12. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    I can't tell you anything in regards to the media features on the samsung but what i can tell you is i can't see a difference between them either, other than the stands.

I have even checked both the specs on samsungs site and they both look the same on paper, although the f6740 costs a bit more than the f6640 on samsungs site.:rolleyes:

13. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Argh, didn't realised JL have the 6740 on their website; that makes my decision harder on what to do. Keep the ES5500 and save the cash, or get the new model. No reviews makes it a tough one!

I think the difference is just the style and model number. It has been common practise for the major retailers to have their own unique product number so they don't have to price match.

14. AmbientMike

AmbientMike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The UE46F6740 seems to have voice control - don't know if the UE46F6670 does - not that I can imagine ever using it...

EDIT - Been to John Lewis for a look and now completely torn between the 46" F66740 and the 40" F7000.

I would quite like to go for the 46" F7000 but I really can't justify £1600 on a TV but the difference is clearly noticeable between the 40" models side by side, however, seeing the 46" F6740 on its own (not next to the 46" F7000) I think I would be happy - just need to figure out which size I really need (not want) in my front room.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  15. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Over the weekend i was mulling over the thought of this screen in comparison to the new 2013 philips tv and i have now jumped ship and went for an exchange.

So i won't be having this tv come Wednesday, it will be a philips led tv instead. This thread will be open for anyone who wants to contribute or infact any owners who get this screen.

Before i switched i was looking at both the philips and the samsung and although i really love the samsungs handling of motion the philips style and over appeal was a couple notches over the samsung, and having had so many philips tvs in the past made the decision even easier for me.

16. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was thinking of going for the new 55" version of the F6740 model but torn between that and last years 55ES8000 model that is now coming down in price to be not far off the new 55F6740.....

Decisions, decisions - I would think that last year's 55ES8000 set is a better display than this years 55F6740? Anyone agree?

17. chukwe

chukwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    What philips model are you buying?

18. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    I brought the philips 47pfl6008.

19. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    When i did my exchange today i really was still impressed with the samsung i toyed around with the settings set backlight to 6 motion plus to custom set judder to 10 and blur to 5 and honestly the picture was as smooth as silk i noticed no motion blur whatsoever.

Hopefully i made a good choice with the philips, i had a samsung back in the day and hated it, soon sold it on and always thought they lagged behind sony panasonic and philips style wise and picture wise but i have to admit they have stepped up big time.

20. R6Nick

R6Nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys

Hope you dont mind me jumping in on your discussion but there doesn't seem to be many people talking about these sets just now so keen on your opinion.

Would you not consider the F6500? Thats what I was looking at but not sure if, spending that much anyway, if the F6740 or F6800 would be worth the extra. Doesnt seem to be much difference spec wise but quality of picture is my main concern i want to be blown away so unsure how the panels compare.

Or is now the time to grab a good deal on the 2012 equivalents? Is the picture that much better this year?

Also looked at the F6400 in Currys which looked ok too, but like the idea of the smaller bezel on the 5 upwards (easier to justify to my other half if no wider than current plasma eh !)

Decisions decisions!

21. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    The f6400 and f6500 don't have the micro dimming like the f6740 and f6670, the design in my opinion isn't as nice I'm not really a fan of the quad stand.

Whilst i was at Peterjones i played with the pictures settings and was able to get a really crisp and sharp clean picture on the f6740.

22. R6Nick

R6Nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Ninja

Credit card gonna take a pounding now!

I love the Samsung tv stand that goes with these but if only you could get something identical with a couple of shelves in centre. Tried looking everywhere but only similiar thing is black glass grr

23. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +919
    Looking at pictures of the UE46F6670 on the Currys website it appears to be a deeper set than the F7000. Does this mean that it could be a backlit LED rather than edge lit, and therefore might not suffer problems like torchlighting and clouding?

Lovely design, with the thin bezel. Did the F7000 really look that much better in picture quality to the UE46F6640, AmbientMike?

Desk

24. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    It does have a deeper cabinet which I don't think is a bad thing, because it should hopefully help in reducing clouding or backlight bleed its not bulky by any means just a bit bigger when comparing it alongside the f8000 and f7000.

The picture quality is pretty amazing and i find the only difference is with it be a non glossy panel so it doesn't have that extra pop and depth had it be using the ultra clear panel.

Other than that its still sharp and clear which impressed me when i got a chance to play around with it.

25. R6Nick

R6Nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was in john lewis yesterday looking at these as looking to get the 6740.

It was beside the 7000 and the 8000 and looked pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as the 7000 but I wouldn't say 400 quid better. And it wouldnt be beside a 7000 at home to compare all time!

Fortunately my other half couldnt tell any difference and she didnt like the light silver bezel of the 7000...so because that one isnt as pretty she wants the cheaper one! :)

The base for the tv is huge though....much deeper than the one for my panasonic plasma...which weighs the same as a small donkey.

Oh and if you'd pay 250 quid for an evolution kit next year to upgrade to 2014 features (not me I think its a con) the 7000 is future proofed for this according to sales rep.

26. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +919
    So it looks like the major differences between the F6640 and the F7000 is the motion rate and the shiny screen which gives a more dynamic image.

I've been doing more reading about backlit screens vs edge lit, and I'm not sure that a deeper TV necessarily does mean backlit. In fact, I found something which suggested that the lower range deeper Samsungs were still edge lit, and just did so in a cheaper way than the ultra-slim costlier options like the F7000. I've written to Samsung asking them to clarify, and will report what I hear back.

if the F6640 doesn't suffer torchlighting and clouding, has the really thin bezel, and gives the F7000 a run for its money picture-wise, it might be the one for me.

Desk

27. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    The main thing is that it still has micro dimming like the 7000 and 8000, i was able to get a really good picture out of the 6740.

Like i said it doesn't have that extra pop that the 7000 and 8000 has due to the glossy panel but it does have very good motion processing i didn't notice any skipping frames judder or blur when i was playing with it.

I also prefer the swivel base on the 6740 compared to both the 7000 and 8000 stands.
    It to me looks a little bit more solid low key and sleek.

28. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +919

Thanks, Ninjafoot. The only remaining question then is on the clouding and torchlighting.

I may pop in to John Lewis tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Desk

29. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    I think the more they reduce the frame of a telly increases the chances of flashlight and backlight bleed, now I'm not saying the 6740 will be free of this problem but with it having more body so to speak should help at least in the the way the leds are structured within the frame.

30. R6Nick

R6Nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Don't know about you guys but do you not find the more you read into these things the more you notice issues?

Oh to be naive....like the gf yesterday when she could just look at a tv and go wow...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2